House Price Crash Forum

No Fuel Strike This Easter

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

This could be the union, and maybe even the Labour party, pulling a blinder.

Now the government has got its knickers in a twist and made an ass of itself should be a very good opportunity for its opponents to be seen to be acting responsibly.

Some of them may even recollect the contrast between Scargill ranting and raving while the government of the day quietly got on with the job back in 1984, and what happened then.

HOLA447
HOLA448

It's a trick. You're just planning to top up in your lunch break aren't you.

this was my thought , trust no one , your neighbours going to have your petrol while you sleep , Be afraid ! aliens are coming ! Galloways really working for mi5 ! be very afraid.....need more fuel .....Need to get to work so i can earn Nothing but maintain Our great System of slavery and debt relief.

We are finally seeing just how Myopic and Lemming like the masses are and how ruthless the ' Parasite ' is.

HOLA449

I genuinely need petrol otherwise I won't be able to get to my clients site on Monday next week.

Now every "1000 miles a year" pensioner is queuing to put £10 worth of fuel in their Corsa and everyone else is brimming their 80 litre tanked Jag I'm not going to be able to get any.

And all because the government were getting bad press over donors and pasties FFS.

HOLA4410

I genuinely need petrol otherwise I won't be able to get to my clients site on Monday next week.

Now every "1000 miles a year" pensioner is queuing to put £10 worth of fuel in their Corsa and everyone else is brimming their 80 litre tanked Jag I'm not going to be able to get any.

And all because the government were getting bad press over donors and pasties FFS.

or the fact that UNITE said they might strike? I bought fuel on the Monday as soon as I heard that.

HOLA4411

or the fact that UNITE said they might strike? I bought fuel on the Monday as soon as I heard that.

For which they have to give 7 days notice and for which, we were told, contingency plans were in place.

A minister then going to the media warning of lives at risk and saying to brim your tank was ludicrous.

HOLA4412

I find it all quite entertaining.

It's been something of an education to me. I assumed that people do the same as me: fill their tank up full, drive around until it's almost empty, and repeat. It never occurred to me that some people regularly top up quarter-full or half-full tanks, or put just £10 worth of fuel in. Why would you do this, assuming it's not simply to enjoy the aroma of fresh petrol or chat up the kiosk girl?

HOLA4413

For which they have to give 7 days notice and for which, we were told, contingency plans were in place.

A minister then going to the media warning of lives at risk and saying to brim your tank was ludicrous.

Let me run a thought experiment with you.

A) nothing to worry about (Media would have a field day)

B) no comment (panic)

C) It's between the union and drivers and companies (the minister doesn't care!)

D) take precautions

What is the most RATIONAL thing to say?

This country loves conflict, all down to the stupid election system with first past the post and a political culture of "yes/no" and opposition - never agreement.

HOLA4414

So calm down.

Please tell everyone in your immediate vicinity so we can stop the stupid panic buying.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fefc589a-7a4a-11e1-9c77-00144feab49a.html

...don't be 'fueled'...the days have run out to give strike notice before Easter ...these mouthpieces are stating the obvious....only fools will say there is no longer risk after Easter..the Unite boys and their puppy dog Red of Ed are playing games with you ....I will continue monitoring my guage .... :rolleyes:

HOLA4415

Not ludicrous, just very clever and calculating.

Likely GDP boost for Q1, maybe enough to avoid an official recession.

Discussion of the revelations that the rich and powerful can pay to have dinner with the British Prime Minister swept off the front pages.

Pressure applied to Unite not to call strike which if it took place would be extremely damaging.

So what if tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people wasted God knows how many hours queueing to get petrol and one unfortunate person immolated themselves .... they're just the proles. They are there to be played.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest eight

So was it called off because of the negotiations? Was it called off because the misfortunate that set herself alight will generate terrible press?

Yeah, like that actually happened.

HOLA4419

What century are you and your clients in? Don't they have telecommunications and the Internet?

I'm in the same boat as him. Have to be there in person - integrity and trustworthiness requires person to person, in the flesh. No, I'm not a prostitute.

On the panic - a queuing panic rather than a fuel panic? - this country really deserves its tabloid press culture. The hilarious thing is that the same culture was recently visited on the tabloid press. Snort!

HOLA4420

I'm in the same boat as him. Have to be there in person - integrity and trustworthiness requires person to person, in the flesh. No, I'm not a prostitute.

So you're a professional Liar?

The Indy today reports previously-suppressed evidence that the Prime Minister/Government never believed its own lies about Iraq.

That comes as no surprise to me. Throughout the lead in to the war, it seemed blatently obvious that Blair was lying. Just hearing his voice on the radio gave it away. So how come it wasn’t obvious to all those in the chattering classes who believed him, or at least gave him the benefit of the doubt?

Here’s a theory. Blair’s body language tells an altogether different story. So anyone who saw him on the telly saw a convincing display of a man who truly believed what he was saying.

This is courtroom technique in action. As a successful barrister, his job was always to convince an audience (jury) of a case. That would commonly involve a virtuoso display of distorting the truth out of all recognition. After all, a litigant who has truth on his side is unlikely to see any need for the hideous cost of a barrister, so his livelihood comes almost entirely from the dishonest.

So that’ll be why those who live by deception insist on the importance of face-to-face contact, while those of us who can’t or won’t lie can envisage a better world.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

So calm down.

Please tell everyone in your immediate vicinity so we can stop the stupid panic buying.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fefc589a-7a4a-11e1-9c77-00144feab49a.html

Round these parts the problems were caused by an armada of small Japanese hatchbacks piloted by the kind of people who spent virtually every waking hour pre fuel crisis wailing about the importance of their free bus passes.

Perhaps a simple way to reduce the panic is to simply ban anyone in recipt of a free bus pass from buying Petrol or Diesel... I assume the bus pass system doesn't require pensioners to club together with individual jerry cans brimmed with diesel?