House Price Crash Forum

Mortgage Rates Set To Soar, Says Merv

exiges

HOLA441

Think you will find your wrong, On a repayment mortgage the amount of interest you pay on the loan gets less as the loan shrinks. Try putting some figures through a online loan calculator.

Fairy Nuff, I'm used to the interest-only mortgages that we have in Switzerland.

Apologies to Shirley.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Merv won't let any of the retail banks fall, so the first bank to fall will be the Bank of England.

I reckon Merv would let banks fail, I am pretty sure he understands the moral hazard problem of bailing them out.

Remember, it was the Treasury not the bank of England that bailed out our insolvent banks.

HOLA443

Think you will find your wrong, On a repayment mortgage the amount of interest you pay on the loan gets less as the loan shrinks. Try putting some figures through a online loan calculator.

So by 'typical' £140,000 mortgage, they mean one that is repayment, and one that is part way through it's term? Wouldnt it be simpler to mean one that is at the start of the contract?

HOLA444

Of course he can't. Nor can any central banker. Because banks have not yet been made to fess up to the quality of the assets on their books (or otherwise) so nobody can know.

I'm sure I recall reading that Spain's banks, Santander being a leading example, still mark to the top of the market in the context of property loans e.g. the mortgage asset is marked to the value of the property at the market rate when the mortgage was taken out, not what it is now.

The so called "stress tests" were a whitewash.

Because, if banks were made to fess up, I'd imagine it's bye bye Santander and a whole heap of others.

And so, on it goes.

Until a borrower defaults, the bank have a piece of paper saying that the borrower will repay say £400k. Until default that contract means what it says. It's therefore worth the same as before. The borrower owns the property so the value of the property is off the bank's books.

When the borrower defaults the bank assumes the property ownership. At this point mark-to-market occurs. This is why banks are on pretend and extend, hoping against hope that the market picks up. If we had a wave of defaults due to IR rises this would push all the "reality gap" onto the bank's books, in many cases nearly instantly drowning them.

HOLA445

Merv won't let any of the retail banks fall, so the first bank to fall will be the Bank of England taxpayer.

:rolleyes:

Let's not forget that in the aftermath of the Northern Rock debacle, Mervyn successfully argued for the ability to prop up banks in secret without the taxpayer being able to find out.

There is no distinction between the State and the private banking sector now.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Of course he can't. Nor can any central banker. Because banks have not yet been made to fess up to the quality of the assets on their books (or otherwise) so nobody can know.

I'm sure I recall reading that Spain's banks, Santander being a leading example, still mark to the top of the market in the context of property loans e.g. the mortgage asset is marked to the value of the property at the market rate when the mortgage was taken out, not what it is now.

Because, if banks were made to fess up, I'd imagine it's bye bye Santander and a whole heap of others.

And so, on it goes.

I'm so fed up with the lot of them I can't tell you

HOLA448

That's disappointing. I'm always inclined to pay attention to Mervyn King, but to ignore the Daily Mail. What a conundrum.

Is King reported somewhere more credible?

My suspicion is that if 'mortgage rates surge' - it will be mortgage rates for new mortgages - be they for first time buyers or those trading up.... while those who have existing relationships will retain access to funding at a lower rate than the majority. This needs to happen in order to avoid banks forcing mass bankruptcy. If I'm right, we should expect the prices at which property changes hands to fall abruptly, while the valuation of owner-occupied mortgaged property will remain stubbornly high - effectively chaining the incumbent occupiers to a mortgaged house with the same approximate 'valuation' to their current debt.

A question I've mulled for some time is the extent to which it is legal/possible for mortgage lenders to discriminate among borrowers in this way... so as to minimise the equity of existing mortgagees... in order to recover their outstanding debts while charging significantly higher rates to new entrants.

For example, could a bank say property X's owner has an income of £50K - which means interest payments of £20K are affordable... it's an existing mortgage with history - which means it qualifies for our reduced rate for long-term customers - so, the value of the property can be £20K*(1/preferential_rate) - and the preferential rate can be anything from 2% to 4% - giving a valuation between £500k and £1m - fudged as necessary to match available reports on the area... all the while saying to new borrowers that the rate is 8%, and that their £20K payments are only sufficient to service £250K.

Edited by A.steve

HOLA449

warned the 'extraordinarily serious and threatening' crisis in the eurozone is damaging Britain

And it was all Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows before then wasn't it Merv?

Those feckless Europeans, especially that Frenchman, Jacques Use!

HOLA4410

And it was all Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows before then wasn't it Merv?

Those feckless Europeans, especially that Frenchman, Jacques Use!

Anyone think that there might just be a connection between the timing of Osborne's budget and the ramping up of the "Europe will destroy us all" rhetoric?

HOLA4411

And so, on it goes.

The answer is probably bloody obvious but what will happen to us if Santander go under? Our mortgage is with Santander.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The answer is probably bloody obvious but what will happen to us if Santander go under? Our mortgage is with Santander.

See Northern Rock for worked example:

The Spanish taxpayer will buy the defaulting loans ("the bad bank") and so pick up all the liabilities.

The non defaulting loans will be sold to another bank, so your mortgage carries on.

HOLA4419

Publically he appeared to be as worried as any public figure can be worried in public.

Probably because he knows that the banks are going to completely ignore his calls to build capital buffers, pay their bonuses anyway, and come back to the taxpayer for more, since the moral hazard precedent has already been set. Rinse and repeat until total sovereign collapse.

HOLA4420

Publically he appeared to be as worried as any public figure can be worried in public.

But privately he's making his public feelings more public...

Bet they are crapping themselves..... it's going to happen on their shift

HOLA4421

So by 'typical' £140,000 mortgage, they mean one that is repayment, and one that is part way through it's term? Wouldnt it be simpler to mean one that is at the start of the contract?

It's just maths.

1% increase => 1000 p.a. on a typical 140K repayment mortgage. i.e. there is still 140K left to repay.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with.

HOLA4422

Except when the term ends - then there may be fewer cheap offers. Banks will have to strengthen their balance sheets somehow.

I'm on a Nationwide BMR, effectively a tracker capped at 2%+ base rate for the length of the loan.

If I'd of switched to another fix, I wouldn't be allowed to go back onto the BMR, only the SVR (uncapped) after the term end.

No brainer really (at the moment anyway).

HOLA4423

I reckon Merv would let banks fail, I am pretty sure he understands the moral hazard problem of bailing them out.

Remember, it was the Treasury not the bank of England that bailed out our insolvent banks.

Apart from maybe a very minor sacrificial lamb, there's no way the banks will be allowed to liquidate whilst still under state control.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Apart from maybe a very minor sacrificial lamb, there's no way the banks will be allowed to liquidate whilst still under state control.

Originally I thought you joined HPC under the guise of someone who was looking to upsize, but so many of your posts suggest you don't want to see house prices losing value.

More of the stories I'm reading talk about banks selling assets to raise capital. Or to shrink down so they meet Capital 1 Tier Ratios. I think they could do this with part of their mortgage books too.

I can't see why not to liquidating if and when alternatives to not doing so would be worse. If and when markets overcome vested interests. And many a person, including many homeowners not stretched out with debt, can find advantages in house prices falling. The ones who wouldn't do well are more than countered by those would be favoured by lower prices. Non owners are voters too.