House Price Crash Forum

Sony Mulling Pulling Out Of Lcd Jv With Samsung: Sources

HOLA441

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/30/us-sony-samsung-idUSTRE79T0C720111030

Sony Corp, struggling with a loss-making television business, is considering dissolving its LCD joint venture with South Korea's Samsung Electronics in a bid to cut costs, sources familiar with the matter said on Sunday.

The Nikkei business daily, which reported the news earlier, said the Japanese electronics and entertainment giant was aiming to reach an agreement by the end of this year to sell its nearly 50 percent stake in liquid-crystal display joint venture S-LCD to Samsung.

Sony needs to step up outsourcing to reduce procurement costs and cope with rapidly declining prices of LCD panels due to a global oversupply.

Great news for the RPI and CPI cheaper TV's to counteract more expensive food and fuel, the next step is to make TV's edible and Merv will be laughing all the way to his pension.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Disposable incomes down = demand for gadgets down.

When they came out with 3D TV that requires glasses to be 3D, you just knew they were desperate.

BTW, Samsung profits were down 23% in the last quarter. Low demand for memory chips. It's that goddam lack of demand again!

Has anyone even bought any of those 3d TVs?

Would have though manufacturers would have learnt with the virtual boy , home based 3d won't catch on.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Battlefield 3 was out this week - I could not find one shop that was offering it on a discount even on the first day.

The new Call of Duty is out in November - it will be intereting to seeif that is on offer in the first days.

Is it because the new games are a big cash cow or is it because the shops need the revenue?

HOLA447

Has anyone even bought any of those 3d TVs?

Would have though manufacturers would have learnt with the virtual boy , home based 3d won't catch on.

The Nintendo 3DS has also had a terrible time. I saw an advert recently that said you could turn off the 3D.

edit: link to 3DS problems http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/iwata-apologises-for-nintendo-s-poor-financials/087049

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA448

Haha Virtual Boy, now that's a blast from the past!

Has anyone else noticed how much 3DTVs have come down this year? Last year they were premium-only, now they're much nearer the average Joe. Still not selling though. 3DTV is great for a while, but once the novelty wears off...meh. It'll never be adopted with the artificIal barrier that glasses create (though I know you can get some glasses-less 3DTV).

Agreed though with guys above, with the exception of having a decent smartphone, my gadget spending is cut back to nought. Imagine what'll happen when ppl start needing to cut back on food...electricity... :ph34r:

HOLA449

Cadburys bars of chocolate - you know, dairy milk, wholenut, fruit and nut had 250g bars up until a year ago but they came down to 230g.

The 160g bars came down to 140g at the same time but I have noticed this week that the 140gs have gone down to 120g now.

I also personally think the chocolate/cocoa content must have changed sometime last year as the bars taste less chocolately now and more fatty IMPO.

I'll get my coat.

HOLA4410

Cadburys bars of chocolate - you know, dairy milk, wholenut, fruit and nut had 250g bars up until a year ago but they came down to 230g.

The 160g bars came down to 140g at the same time but I have noticed this week that the 140gs have gone down to 120g now.

I also personally think the chocolate/cocoa content must have changed sometime last year as the bars taste less chocolately now and more fatty IMPO.

I'll get my coat.

Wasn't there a post on here a good few months back about a cartel buying up most of the world's cocoa? This + inflation = cocoa content plummeting? And wasn't there a story about there being no sugar left in the EU?

I perhaps think that you're correct though. When I was younger I used to hate dark chocolate. Now I find it much tastier than milk chocolate. Perhaps this is to do with my taste changing/improving, but I alsow wonder ig this is to do with purity/quality of content.

HOLA4411

Wasn't there a post on here a good few months back about a cartel buying up most of the world's cocoa? This + inflation = cocoa content plummeting? And wasn't there a story about there being no sugar left in the EU?

I perhaps think that you're correct though. When I was younger I used to hate dark chocolate. Now I find it much tastier than milk chocolate. Perhaps this is to do with my taste changing/improving, but I alsow wonder ig this is to do with purity/quality of content.

Yes, there was a thread.

I used to buy dark chocolate but the price of it has sky-rocketed now so I only buy it when it is on offer. The dark better quality chocolate is the stuff to go for but the price is sky-high now.

Lidl sell good quality dark chocolate pretty reasonably. Cadburys is just mass market pap IMPO but when the likes of Tesco or the Co-Op have a bar on special offer ofr a quid and the better quality chocolate is 2 or 3 times that then, in this age of auterity, I am now choosing, IMPO, the cr*p.

HOLA4412

Has anyone else noticed how much 3DTVs have come down this year? Last year they were premium-only, now they're much nearer the average Joe. Still not selling though. 3DTV is great for a while, but once the novelty wears off...meh. It'll never be adopted with the artificIal barrier that glasses create (though I know you can get some glasses-less 3DTV).

Agreed though with guys above, with the exception of having a decent smartphone, my gadget spending is cut back to nought. Imagine what'll happen when ppl start needing to cut back on food...electricity... :ph34r:

All TVs will be 3D soon enough.. it is optional, even if you have one you dont actually ever need to use the 3D feature.

I was on the market this year for a new tv.. my 10 year old CRT was showing its age.. i wasnt specifically looking for a 3d one, the TV i liked best happened to come with it.

The Kids love 3d... Tangled in 3d is one of their favorites.

HOLA4413

I'll get my coat.

....for the record, bought my normal loo paper the other day they have chopped off 1cm off the width. :blink:

HOLA4414

Yep last year when I was looking at for a TV they where around double what I ended up paying for the 2d one, now I could get a 3d TV for what I paid for it now. Although as there are 6 of us the glasses are prohibitive and that's before you've thought about content.

However I still don't think it's worth it.

HOLA4415

I'll get my coat.

I've noticed this too. Cadbury's chocolate has become sweeter, less chocolately and marginally greasy?

Another observation is that food in general has got sweeter, especially processed 'ready meals' that i'm guilty of buying in twice weekly and cleaning the oven tray it seems greasier and requires more fairy washing-up liquid which itself has a lower viscosity.

Edited by tomposh101

HOLA4416

I've noticed this too. Cadbury's chocolate has become sweeter, less chocolately and marginally greasy?

They've been pumping it full of palm oil for years. A few countries baulked at the new formulation and they relented, but I don't think the UK was one of them.

Terry's Chocolate Orange is the same. Oily filth these days.

HOLA4417

....for the record, bought my normal loo paper the other day they have chopped off 1cm off the width. :blink:

You will have to lose a bit of weight now! :huh:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

They've been pumping it full of palm oil for years. A few countries baulked at the new formulation and they relented, but I don't think the UK was one of them.

Terry's Chocolate Orange is the same. Oily filth these days.

Had quite a shock with a Yorkie Bar the other day.

This used to be advertised as not for girls and had a beefy truck driver just managing to swallow chunks of it.

Got one out of the chocolate machine for a quid and it was like it had shrunk so much I reckon a baby could finish it off in a couple of mouthfuls.

I guess its all good for the nations saturated fat intake.

HOLA4420

This might come has a shock to those with a bad memory but Cadbury's chocolate bars used to be 200g and cost only 99p. When the price went up to 1.05 pounds I thought it was a crazy jump. But then they put the price up to something like 1.50 or whatever it was and made the bar 250g in an effort to cover up the obvious huge price increase. So a 25% increase in product but a whopping 50% price increase.

Then on top of that as others have been saying they have been worsening the quality of the chocolate for years, they are profiteering off their brand name. Problem is the high quality alternatives are all very expensive.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Battlefield 3 was out this week - I could not find one shop that was offering it on a discount even on the first day.

The new Call of Duty is out in November - it will be intereting to seeif that is on offer in the first days.

Is it because the new games are a big cash cow or is it because the shops need the revenue?

Just give it a month or two - nearly all big releases tend to drop rapidly in price these days, after a very short spell commanding a premium.

I guess the strategy is to milk the hardcore gamer and then go for volume.

Compared to even a decade ago, it's amazing how cheap content has become be it computer games, video (on DVD or Blu Ray) or music.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Sony have always been a high quality manufacturer. Their products have to be seen to be better than other peoples in order to command the extra price. For example trintron tvs.

They also have made significant inroads in the new OLED technology, which I think theoretically could be cheaper than todays standard flat panel technology once some production problems are solved. So maybe they know something we don't, that perhaps OLED is about to become scalable and much cheaper. In 5 years time everything could be OLED, so maybe a medium term view for them is to ditch non value added standard technology and focus on getting a good grip on the superior future stuff in which they can still be a market leader.