House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

The world is heading towards a monetary reset and it's pretty obvious both the West and the East are vying for stewardship of the next reserve currency. Whilst their views likely differ, I expect both will be backed by physical assets, of which I'm certain gold is one. So as far as I'm concerned, you can either position yourself ahead of the curve and hope to at least preserve your wealth by owning gold or you can miss the opportunity of a lifetime...

"woefully underpriced" - Without question.

I suppose what I am saying is that you should buy gold if you believe that it is better money than the fiat we use today, and that if you believe there is a cat in hell's chance that some of that monetary premium may re-enter into the price of gold. Notwithstanding, gold is a non-interest bearing asset and it doesn't 'work' like a stock would. However, in my opinion it is woefully underpriced without its monetary premium, and as miners struggle to turn any kind of profit, even its commodity value appears too low. The only thing keeping the boat afloat is the high stock-to-flow ratio. How long will that last?? Perhaps we should ask Mrs. Wang.

HOLA442

Get lost you pompous tw@t.

Thanks for providing the definition, seems a pretty good fit to me.

Your posts don't display confidence, they display certainty. Have another read of those example quotes and have an honest think about which word applies best.

Edited by warpig

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Astounding Errol, once again you post with no source, and no explanation of what we are supposed to make of what you post.

Any chance of a commentary on the significance of the graph.

..._

It's from a Zerohedge article about Turkey. I wouldn't bother reading it if I were you - it takes certain liberties with causality which are fairly blatant if you have a basic knowledge of Turkish current affairs. The conclusion in particular just makes my head hurt:

One can only wonder how much was 'smuggled' as opposed to legally defined as exported as it appears increasingly clear 'wealth' is being extricated from the increasingly totalitarian nation before confiscations begin.

It seems there is anything but calm after the implicit vote of confidence for Erdogan...

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Well I'm fed up with gold. My pension is with Black Rock.

A few years ago I split up my pension pot so that it was 25% Gold and General, 25% UK Dynamic, 25% Global Growth & 25% Paciffic Something. I also split the contributions to the same ratio.

The Gold & General is now worth under half (40%) of each of the other 3.

I have now changed my contributions to 33% UK Dynamic, 34% Global Growth & 33% Paciffic Something.

I am not going to chrystalise the loss by selling the Gold and General, but I'll be f&cked if I'm giving it any more.

Your comments would be appreciated.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

A few years ago I split up my pension pot so that it was 25% Gold and General, 25% UK Dynamic, 25% Global Growth & 25% Paciffic Something. I also split the contributions to the same ratio.

I have now changed my contributions to 33% UK Dynamic, 34% Global Growth & 33% Paciffic Something.

I am not going to chrystalise the loss by selling the Gold and General, but I'll be f&cked if I'm giving it any more.

I did similar, got a bit too excited about gold and silver when the prices were at close to peak values.

This thread is a bit polarised to get good investment advice on gold. It`s a mixture of people who`ll tell you to keep doubling down `till the moon shot, and others who`ll tell you to sell it all.

A good way of looking at it is to consider what your strategy was when you bought it, and what`s changed that would make you reconsider that strategy.

HOLA4415

Idiot. You lock in gains and rotate to those areas which have gone down and are reversing.

HOLA4416

Well I'm fed up with gold. My pension is with Black Rock.......

Investing in equity holdings has its own risks. I'm no fan of private pensions anyway, especially the rules that go with them.

The funds you are complaining of are not a pure gold play, miners and others are in there.

Today you are stuck with the spectre of more economic woes. Cash gets below price inflation returns, and most view the boom in equities as being cheap credit led, not as a result of an improving economic situation.

Digger Mansions is semi retired, and we have 85+% of our cash savings in gold, which doesn't vary much from that.

Gold won't make you rich quick, if bought over time with a long term buy and hold attitude, then it will leave you ahead of inflation with a bit on top.

You are stuck with your funds in the pension you have, I can only urge you to start putting retirement funds by in gold.

..._

HOLA4417

Investing in equity holdings has its own risks. I'm no fan of private pensions anyway, especially the rules that go with them.

The funds you are complaining of are not a pure gold play, miners and others are in there.

Today you are stuck with the spectre of more economic woes. Cash gets below price inflation returns, and most view the boom in equities as being cheap credit led, not as a result of an improving economic situation.

Digger Mansions is semi retired, and we have 85+% of our cash savings in gold, which doesn't vary much from that.

Gold won't make you rich quick, if bought over time with a long term buy and hold attitude, then it will leave you ahead of inflation with a bit on top.

You are stuck with your funds in the pension you have, I can only urge you to start putting retirement funds by in gold.

..._

I would have thought you could combine the two.... gold holding/ personal pension....might be a problem with physical gold? The new pension rules do give you unfettered access after 5th April 2015.

As it is I am clueless as to where gold is going and would want something a bit more stable.

The fall from $1380 to $1280 in the last twenty days or so has been almost as straight as an arrow with little divergence. What this actually means.......f**k knows. Maybe showing resistance all the way down and we are set for a rally.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4418

I certainly intend to buy gold as a pension fund, but that will be (like a house) when the cycle has it back to being horrendously unfashionable,"why would you want to buy that?" status. If that's next year, five years time, ten years time, even twenty years time that's fine. At the moment it is high IMO; that's not to say that it won't go higher in the medium term but as I'm playing the long game I'm not buying now.

HOLA4419

etc etc ...

How much gold do you actually have (real gold as opposed to pieces of paper or funds with Gold in the name)?

Edited by Errol

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I would have thought you could combine the two.... gold holding/ personal pension....might be a problem with physical gold? The new pension rules do give you unfettered access after 5th April 2015........

Anything can be combined, it's the wisdom of what you mix together that counts in the end. RDW is stuck with what they have put in their pension for a while yet, but further payments in could be halted.

Certain forms of gold can be held in NISA's, no need for physical.

I see the new pension rules as a benefit to those currently trapped in pension plans, but I still view private pensions as a bad investment for retirement.

..._

HOLA4422

Gold is now "horrendously unfashionable."

It's come back off its $1900 highs so $1300 represents a buying opportunity if you think it's due for another move upwards medium term. That's trading gold though, I will either buy when it's on the floor or won't buy at all, I'm not a gold trader.

HOLA4423

The fall from $1380 to $1280 in the last twenty days or so has been almost as straight as an arrow with little divergence. What this actually means.......f**k knows. Maybe showing resistance all the way down and we are set for a rally.

Sharp falls tend to happen in bull markets.

Sharp rises tend to happen in bear markets.

HOLA4424

I certainly intend to buy gold as a pension fund, but that will be (like a house) when the cycle has it back to being horrendously unfashionable

Wow!

Precious metals is massively hated.

HOLA4425

I wouldn't class buying once to sell once as trading and that is what you should do IMO. I'm not a gold trader either, but... if we dip back down to around $1,050 that is most certainly the floor and even at today's price you're only just above the skirting board. Personally I don't think anyone should buy gold/silver unless they're prepared to take the time to learn about it. There are too many opinions about what it is, what it represents and how it will function when this crisis plays out, that you really need to have an opinion of your own. There's nothing worse than being right, but having some dipshit Keynesian DOW apologist, shake you out of your position.

Gold will more than double it's 2011 highs over the next 3 years IMO, why not get on board?

It's come back off its $1900 highs so $1300 represents a buying opportunity if you think it's due for another move upwards medium term. That's trading gold though, I will either buy when it's on the floor or won't buy at all, I'm not a gold trader.