House Price Crash Forum

Mobile Phone Recommendations

DTMark

HOLA441

I need a new handset. Well, strictly speaking, my 18-month old HTC Touch 2 handset needs a new battery.

While I'm tempted to send it back to Play.com in a box for a replacement quoting the Sale of Goods act and the bit about "merchantable quality", frankly, the Windows mobile operating system has been driving me mad for ages now, so I'd prefer to get rid (apparently Mazuma will pay £25 for it) and replace.

I don't want another HTC. While they're well specified for the money, this one and even the new ones share the same design flaw which has nothing to do with Windows mobile and afflicts people who live in variable coverage areas (this issue: http://forums.moneys...d.php?t=2523297) like us, so it's not an option anyway.

I'm looking at PAYG only as all the contracts seem to be £30 for 2 years type things and I wouldn't accept a contract of more than a year at most. And there don't seem to be any.

This time I want an Android phone. I think.

Key priorities are (realise some of these are software based, not to do with the handset)

1. Sync with MS Exchange

2. Google Maps

3. Decent browsing experience which must also support Flash (and actually work, unlike the one I have now) so as to play BBC iPlayer stuff

4. A dictionary which means I can finally use the auto-complete option, I had to turn it off on the HTC because it's American, useless and dangerous ("I locked the jews in the car") - ffs, how many people will write "jews" more often than "keys" in an SMS - that's only one of so many examples and it doesn't "learn" over time

5. A standard 3.5mm headphone socket

6. The ability to use its own 3G connection to create a local wireless network

7. At least fair battery life (I mean talk time and standby time when it's working fine, not the battery lasting > 18 months, though that would also be handy) so it can be taken camping for 4 days and still work on the 4th day

8. The biggest possible screen

I've always bought network unlocked ones in the past (e.g. from Play.com) - though it will probably be used on the Three network.

Ideal budget - maximum £250 ish

I don't keep up with these things, but I reckon there are some forum members who do.... what would you go for?

This one looks promising:

Samsung Galaxy S5830

http://www.play.com/...ne/Product.html

It's actually 149.99 on Three, not sure about Flash in the browser - seems to be the only thing missing.

How easy is it to unlock? ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If you have a decent qwerty keyboard, you can dispense with it second-guessing what you want to type. My two-and-a-half-year-old handset meets all your criteria except in that it's screen isn't large (and it's a 2.5mm headphone hack - though an adapter fixes that). Oh, and it's still on its original battery, which still lasts a full week when usage is low (i.e. no more than calls, and perhaps listening to the radio).

All else is software. I use alternatives to the native browser and mailer, but the supplied addressbook and calendar meet my needs nicely - mix and match. Things like google maps and iplayer were downloads long ago.

HOLA445

I need a new handset. Well, strictly speaking, my 18-month old HTC Touch 2 handset needs a new battery.

While I'm tempted to send it back to Play.com in a box for a replacement quoting the Sale of Goods act and the bit about "merchantable quality", frankly, the Windows mobile operating system has been driving me mad for ages now, so I'd prefer to get rid (apparently Mazuma will pay £25 for it) and replace.

I don't want another HTC. While they're well specified for the money, this one and even the new ones share the same design flaw which has nothing to do with Windows mobile and afflicts people who live in variable coverage areas (this issue: http://forums.moneys...d.php?t=2523297) like us, so it's not an option anyway.

I'm looking at PAYG only as all the contracts seem to be £30 for 2 years type things and I wouldn't accept a contract of more than a year at most. And there don't seem to be any.

Key priorities are (realise some of these are software based, not to do with the handset)

1. Sync with MS Exchange

2. Google Maps

3. Decent browsing experience which must also support Flash (and actually work, unlike the one I have now) so as to play BBC iPlayer stuff

4. A dictionary which means I can finally use the auto-complete option, I had to turn it off on the HTC because it's American, useless and dangerous ("I locked the jews in the car") - ffs, how many people will write "jews" more often than "keys" in an SMS - that's only one of so many examples and it doesn't "learn" over time

7. At least fair battery life (I mean talk time and standby time when it's working fine, not the battery lasting > 18 months, though that would also be handy) so it can be taken camping for 4 days and still work on the 4th day

I've always bought network unlocked ones in the past (e.g. from Play.com) - though it will probably be used on the Three network.

I don't keep up with these things, but I reckon there are some forum members who do.... what would you go for?

Samsung Galaxy S5830

It's actually 149.99 on Three, not sure about Flash in the browser - seems to be the only thing missing.

Not sure, but it's listed at £200 from carphonewarehouse, and apart from the 3 network deals, their phones are unlocked. Might be worth going in and haggling?

HOLA446

1. Sync with MS Exchange

2. Google Maps

Samsung Galaxy S5830

Try a top end HTC like the Desire HD. I'm a big fan of HTC, but their cheaper phones are a bit basic.

HOLA447

With those requirements your basically restricted to an Android phone of some sort. Not that that's a bad thing!

I would say the best two Android makes are HTC and Samsung, so either is ok but as you say you don't want a HTC again the choice is down to something by Samsung.

If you can get it under your budget I would strongly recommend the Galaxy S rather than a cheaper one. It will run faster, have more memory, etc. You might not care now but in a few months time once you've loaded it up with apps you'll notice. Samsung are fairly good at upgrading it to the latest Android version as well. If you buy one now it should be Android 2.2 at least and there are plans to release a 2.3 upgrade. I wouldn't expect anything after that though. (2.2 has a wifi hotspot function so you can use the phone's 3G to hook up a laptop if needed.)

Be careful, there is a newer Galaxy S II (2) out soon/now which is mega expensive atm. The Galaxy S came out last year but will still be fine for all the things you need.

I have a HTC Desire which is about the same hardware spec as the Galaxy S, but I have noticed that the reception is not as good as my brothers Galaxy S. The screen is not as clear either, and the Galaxy S comes with Swype which is ace.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Can you not put another battery in it?

I could, but whilst I'm far from violent, this handset is the second electronic device I've lost my temper with to the extent that I tried to smash it to pieces the other day (when it decided to bring up numbers as you typed letters on the keypad in an SMS - does that quite often, it's just full of bugs), however it flew out of my hand and across the room and managed to survive.

The other device I tried doing that with was a mobile called the "Orange SPV" which was also a Windows based smart phone.

I've learned now. Even as a Microsoft developer, I wouldn't be prepared to touch a new Windows mobile phone until they have had a few years to make it work properly and demonstrate that, unlike before, they take it seriously and aren't going to abandon it and their users.

Thanks for all the replies - shall come back and read through in detail later on and pick one.

HOLA4410

I could, but whilst I'm far from violent, this handset is the second electronic device I've lost my temper with to the extent that I tried to smash it to pieces the other day (when it decided to bring up numbers as you typed letters on the keypad in an SMS - does that quite often, it's just full of bugs), however it flew out of my hand and across the room and managed to survive.

The other device I tried doing that with was a mobile called the "Orange SPV" which was also a Windows based smart phone.

I've learned now. Even as a Microsoft developer, I wouldn't be prepared to touch a new Windows mobile phone until they have had a few years to make it work properly and demonstrate that, unlike before, they take it seriously and aren't going to abandon it and their users.

Thanks for all the replies - shall come back and read through in detail later on and pick one.

My OH says isn't it an andriod phone so you probably don't want any android phone?

Go and play with a blackberry and an iphone in a shop for half an hour.

HOLA4411

The new WP7 isn't bad, fast VERY long battery life (my handset lasts 3 days before I need to charge it and thats with wifi and data turned on), all current handsets will be upgradable to Mango which looks really good...

HOLA4412

I think they've turned a corner with the new 'Windows Phone 7' (not to be confused with 'Windows Mobile 6.x', which is what your old phone had). It's all based on .NET/Silverlight now rather than clunky old win32 APIs.

They did a deal with Nokia so that almost all new Nokia phones from the end of this year are Windows Phone ones. There are also phones from the usual suspects (Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.).

If you're a Microsoft developer it might even interest you to get one to write your own apps. I've heard if you know .NET it's very simple. It's a bit limited in what you can do at the moment - Microsoft say they will add all the missing features eventually but let's see, eh?

They seem a bit more committed this time. It ties into the XBox Live service so it looks like they are planning for the long term.

HOLA4413

I've worked with Microsoft technologies for over a decade, and generally rate it all very highly especially .NET which is what all my development is done in (C#, mostly web apps)

But, I hate to say it, I think Microsoft have lost it. It's far too late now. Unless they can turn it around like they managed to with Internet Explorer after saying that the internet was basically useless (or words to that effect)

The huge barrier is the price - "Get a Windows phone on Orange for £30 a month" - How much???!! for something in its infancy (the selling point of having Office in your pocket isn't going to really appeal to the casual residential user, the X-Box stuff might which I think is their main USP but those two are sort of confused really; for rather different markets) and we can't get Orange here, anyway.

That equates to a similar price to the iPhone - about £500 to £750 for a handset. Microsoft, er, hello, you're not going to try taking on the iPhone are you? Really? Even if yours is better, you have a very big case to make. I'd like to see you make that case. But I fear for you :-)

I really want to get into some app development, and given that the iPhone represents such a small share of the market (about 12% I think, again because it's so expensive) I was going to overlook that, developing for Windows is pointless at this stage again because of market share, and target Android.

That might mean learning a new skillset, but - and I do hear what you're saying - and actually I really want to be convinced - I can't bring myself to make the same potential massive mistake a third time. Even though I'd like full MS Exchange sync capability (e.g. tasks as well, which is why I went for Windows before) and Remote Desktop, I've got to the point where I'd go without so as to have something usable that actually works.

And that's from a Microsoft developer with some degree of sympathy. If even I won't go near it, having had my bridges well and truly burned in the past - twice - I just don't see a market for it.

But it would be nice to be wrong about that and be able to use my existing skills to develop for it. I wonder if I'm right about where it's going to end up (canned as a project, just like the last version, when the budget runs out leaving users with bug-ridden handsets), or missing a big opportunity.

As I said I'm not so much into this market and I haven't kept up, these are casual observations and I could be far off the mark. What do you think?

HOLA4414

Simple answer, Samsung Galaxy S2.

Latest android, fastest dual core 1.2ghz processor, 8mb camera, brilliantly bright screen, thinnest smart phone there is.

Does everything you want, and is the best phone so far in 2011. It does need charging every night, but most decent smart phones do now anyway. The iphone doesn't support flash, and costs too much for what it does. The only downside to the S2 is the price (I have it on £30 a month, 2year contract).

HOLA4415

:lol: Reminds me of the text I sent to my Mrs. asking: "Have you got a Jew with you?"

She still wets herself everytime she remembers it.

HOLA4416

If you're looking to make money from apps, even pocket money, I would recommend googling for other developers experiences. I haven't done it myself but my impression is this:

iOS: Strictly controlled app store, but that generally means better quality apps, leads to more purchases, so more money to be made.

Android: Too much crap clogging up the marketplace, everyone expects apps to be free, hard to distinguish your app from all the others. So even though it is has the most phones out there, there is less money to be made. There is also the fragmentation problem of not all Android phones are the same screen size, version (1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.x+ etc.). An iOS app is for iPhone or iPad, that's it - much easier.

Windows Phone 7: At the moment smaller range of apps, so more chance of making an impression. But prices are set by MS and the cheapest is £1 or £2? No 99p apps here --> limits the market. But there are already 25,000+ apps so it is growing very fast. The size of the screen is controlled by MS as well so there is no or very little fragmentation compared to Android.

In terms of whether Windows Phone 7 will last? Put it this way - Nokia have just bet the farm on it so it must have some sort of backing (unless MS change their mind again or something :ph34r: ).

HOLA4417

If you're looking to make money from apps, even pocket money, I would recommend googling for other developers experiences. I haven't done it myself but my impression is this:

iOS: Strictly controlled app store, but that generally means better quality apps, leads to more purchases, so more money to be made.

Android: Too much crap clogging up the marketplace, everyone expects apps to be free, hard to distinguish your app from all the others. So even though it is has the most phones out there, there is less money to be made. There is also the fragmentation problem of not all Android phones are the same screen size, version (1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.x+ etc.). An iOS app is for iPhone or iPad, that's it - much easier.

Windows Phone 7: At the moment smaller range of apps, so more chance of making an impression. But prices are set by MS and the cheapest is £1 or £2? No 99p apps here --> limits the market. But there are already 25,000+ apps so it is growing very fast. The size of the screen is controlled by MS as well so there is no or very little fragmentation compared to Android.

In terms of whether Windows Phone 7 will last? Put it this way - Nokia have just bet the farm on it so it must have some sort of backing (unless MS change their mind again or something :ph34r: ).

That's all really handy to know, many thanks for that.

Looks like you really have to stand out in the Android marketplace to stand a chance. I'm being persuaded towards iPhone development, I need to do some reading.

I'm thinking - get an Android phone as my main phone for the sake of something that mostly works properly and is affordable (the cheapest Windows 7 unlocked phone that isn't HTC seems to be £350 and I doubt it pays to have something Windows based on the lowest spec device), then look at a second hand iPhone and perhaps wait for a second hand Windows 7 phone for development purposes and play around with them. People seem to ditch these quickly these days in favour of the latest thing so it can't be long before second hand ones pop up on eBay.

I guess with the rise of Apple and the new Android based tablets, people now have other OS options for the first time (Linux was hardly for the home user) and are getting used to alternatives and so Microsoft have to take this seriously now. That said, although Nokia are taking the punt, I thought they were more or less dead in the water now - maybe it's a big gamble. Which might work. That, or finish them off. If the quality of the OS really reflects that they're trying to break in right at the top of the market then they might well succeed.

I really do with Microsoft luck with this, I think they will need it (he says, emailing 400MB of audiobooks to himself to get them onto the phone via email active sync because as usual Windows Mobile Device Centre doesn't work properly and Windows Explorer locks up if you just try and drag the files across... mustn't get too annoyed, there's £25 at Mazuma to be had...) - it's a pity they don't have developer schemes for these, as if there were, and I could get one cheaply, I would take the punt, and they would get more developers.

I'm off to look through the recommendations and order a phone - cheers all.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I went from HTC hero to Desire and now on iPhone 4. Although the iPhone is showing its age in terms of screen size, iOS is just so much slicker than Android and you can fix the few annoyances (like having to go into settings for common toggles) with a simple jailbreak.

September and the new iPhone should be out.

Android isn't bad but don't let's pretend its iPhone.

HOLA4420

Could be worse, I texted my daughter to ask her if she was good in bed.

:)

I went from HTC hero to Desire and now on iPhone 4. Although the iPhone is showing its age in terms of screen size, iOS is just so much slicker than Android and you can fix the few annoyances (like having to go into settings for common toggles) with a simple jailbreak.

September and the new iPhone should be out.

Android isn't bad but don't let's pretend its iPhone.

I'd almost decided. There is this, however

http://www.play.com/...1&ob=Price&fb=0

Refurbished @ 199.00 - it's the only one within my budget (as I don't use these things much as a phone £30/mo for 2 years just reads to me as price = £720)

Anyone know how muich a new battery costs (my HTC only lasted 18 months, and my iPod Shuffle only lasted 10 months, these rechargeable things don't seem to last long)

HOLA4421

and you can fix the few annoyances (like having to go into settings for common toggles) with a simple jailbreak.

Surely by that logic, you could fix any annoyances with Android by rooting the phone and adding a custom ROM?

Maybe I'm being dense here but from what little I've seen of Android and IOS, there appear to be no meaningful difference between them. They seem to do much the same thing in much the same way.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

1. Sync with MS Exchange

2. Google Maps

Not sure about some of your requirements but the Samsung Galaxy S (£260 on PAYG -- LINK) should take care of points 2, 3, 7 & 8.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived