House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441

60 million acres

62 million people officially. 85 million unofficially

Less than an acre per person, less than 3 per household.

And thats before you subtract non residential uses, lakes, reservoirs, mountains etc etc.

I think for a decent sized home and garden you need at least a 1/2 acre plot (100x200 feet)

TheMonarchatOrchardHill.jpg

mcmansion-subdivision.jpg

Assuming that is doubled for other uses (roads, rail, hospitals, shops, offices) that would take more than 1acre per household, or well over half the decent lowland area of england.

Discuss

It seems we're doomed to live in rabbit hutches unless population control can be exercised.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

60 million acres

62 million people officially. 85 million unofficially

Less than an acre per person, less than 3 per household.

And thats before you subtract non residential uses, lakes, reservoirs, mountains etc etc.

I think for a decent sized home and garden you need at least a 1/2 acre plot (100x200 feet)

Assuming that is doubled for other uses (roads, rail, hospitals, shops, offices) that would take more than 1acre per household, or well over half the decent lowland area of england.

Discuss

It seems we're doomed to live in rabbit hutches unless population control can be exercised.

Population control is unachievable in practical terms - no political party with any chance of election has the balls to tackle immigration and welfare benefits etc. We are doomed to live in rabbit hutches, and have huge and growing deficits in energy and food.

In any case, at least half of the UK land area is unusable for housing - the mountainous areas, bogs on top of the pennines, areas that are at risk of flooding, coastal erosion and rising sea levels, etc.

HOLA443

Population control is unachievable in practical terms - no political party with any chance of election has the balls to tackle immigration and welfare benefits etc. We are doomed to live in rabbit hutches, and have huge and growing deficits in energy and food.

In any case, at least half of the UK land area is unusable for housing - the mountainous areas, bogs on top of the pennines, areas that are at risk of flooding, coastal erosion and rising sea levels, etc.

We are doomed to live in rabbit hutches

Exactly, i may as well slit my wrists now, or move to Mcmansionland america. Cant decide which is least bad.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest tbatst2000

It all rather depends on what you mean by rabbit hutch. I wouldn't call this a rabbit hutch for example but you could fit at least three of then on an acre. I think what you really mean is densely packed houses with small or no gardens and, on that point, the laws of physics are definitely on your side of the argument.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm rather more concerned about the out-of-control population explosions in Africa (eg Nigeria) and parts of Asia (eg Bangladesh, Indonesia) than the relatively minor (less than 1% annual growth) population increase here in the UK.

And your 85m figure is utter c*ap.

Asia and Africa can still feed themselves. Well, they could if it wasnt for Monsanto et al. Once the pound is shown to have no clothes, WE STARVE. We dont even produce 2/3 of food needs anymore, let alone energy needs, and yet we import MORE people, worsening the trade balance with every month that goes by.

The 85 m fig is based on consumption trends. 80 mil in 2007, 85 mill today imo,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/city-eye-facts-on-a-plate-our-population-is-at-least-77-million-395428.html

HOLA449

All that is needed to control the British population is:

-Halting of all non-eu immigration, unless exceptionally skilled individuals. This could easily be implemented. You could do it starting tomorrow.

-Halting of all child benefits from a certain date. Don't pay people to have children. This stops single mothers having kids just for the lifestyle. Also stops future perpetual generations of benefit scroungers.

-maximum of 12 months state unemployment benefits. This will force native brits to get off their arses and ensure that the eastern Europeans don't need to come here in their hordes.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Why are you questioning this figure? Tesco's estimates the population to be around 80m. It depends whether you trust a government census or a very successful company. Nobody can give the precise figure. Perhaps you'd be so kind to give us the correct figure?

HOLA4413

I'm rather more concerned about the out-of-control population explosions in Africa (eg Nigeria) and parts of Asia (eg Bangladesh, Indonesia) than the relatively minor (less than 1% annual growth) population increase here in the UK.

It could well be total testicles, but do you have any better figures to supply? Does anyone know?

The "official" numbers are way off - I, for example, am just an average person, doing an average job, mixing with average people. Yet I've met during the last few years several "illegals", who don't appear anywhere on the official stats. It seems intuitive to me that my (average) experience is not unique, that there are mountains of illegal immigrants out there. Who knows how many?

The Tesco report on consumption figures has been much decried, but it might well be the closest to the truth...

HOLA4414

NI has about 2 acres per person and Scotland has about 4 acres per person, so it very much depends where you live within the UK.

Also, it makes sense to build high, to decrease the distance to where you work in some cases. There is much more building area if you start building more than two floors.

HOLA4415

Using 62m as the UK population, we have 3929 sq metres per head. That is a square about 63 metres on a side. I've got to admit I was surprised it is that crowded. Remember people used to say the entire world population could stand on the Isle of Wight? That was when the world pop was 4bn.

Look at it another way, if we had a square of land just 5 miles on a side, every UK citizen would have over one square metre to stand in.

HOLA4416

Thats it!! Rebrand the UK as a tourist attraction for the rest of the world along the lines of a miniature village, 'Come to miniature Britain and watch millions of full sized people squeezing themselves into those tiny houses. Amazing, you won't believe it unless you see it"

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Why are you questioning this figure?

Pardon me for daring to question a figure which has blatantly been plucked out of the air and flies in the face of figures given not only by the Office for National Statistics, but every other statistics organisation there is.

Show me where Tesco say there are 80m or whatever living in the UK. It just seems to be doom-monger speculation based on bored-journalist conjecture based on some intriguing sales stats that could be explained 1000 different ways.

But believe what you want to believe. We'd notice an extra 20 million people living in the UK. The official count is 62m and that may be a few million too conservative, but not 20 million.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Pardon me for daring to question a figure which has blatantly been plucked out of the air and flies in the face of figures given not only by the Office for National Statistics, but every other statistics organisation there is.

Show me where Tesco say there are 80m or whatever living in the UK. It just seems to be doom-monger speculation based on bored-journalist conjecture based on some intriguing sales stats that could be explained 1000 different ways.

But believe what you want to believe. We'd notice an extra 20 million people living in the UK. The official count is 62m and that may be a few million too conservative, but not 20 million.

The ONS are notoriously unreliable bunch, so using their figures is a waste of time. The census is going to be scrapped because it's inaccurate. Surprise, surprise. I do notice the extra people in the UK when I come back from America and it's alarming. The government haven't even got a reliable clue as to how many immigrants sneek into Britain and how many disillusioned Britons emigrate each year. This just demonstrates that nobody really knows what the real figure is.

HOLA4421

That's about a person per acre. Or a family of four having four acres of land. Doesn't seem too bad.

Yes but how many acres of land per year does it take to feed someone a good basic diet? And remember a lot of those acres are already like to be built on/un-farm-able.

HOLA4422

Just build huge 1 mile high super towers, in London. I can remember when these idea's were being considered in the 1970's. Completely self sustaining, with accomodation, hotels, shops, offices, bars and restaurants. You would commute within the tower to get to work.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Suburban sprawl is not possible without cheap energy.

Modern techological life is not possible without cheap energy. If we run out of cheap energy you won't have to worry about whether you can afford to drive to work, because you won't have a job to go to anymore... and your neighbours will be planning to cook you.