House Price Crash Forum

No Mod Cons! Buyers Spark Rush For £250K House Untouched In 100 Years... Even Though It Has No Bathroom, Toilet, Drains Or Heating

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005482/House-untouched-100-years-bathroom-toilet-drains-heating-sale-250-000.html

It doesn't have a bathroom, heating, drains or even a toilet, but that has not put off scores of interested buyers.

Even though the house has been virtually untouched in 100 years they reckon its a bargain at £250,000.

Its stunning location in the Yorkshire Dales, near Sedbergh, means the house is probably worth £1.5 million when it is renovated.

It's a very nice house, but being skeptical it just seems to be a piece about creating a bit of a buying frenzy because you only need £200k to do it up and then you can flog it for £1.5m.

I mean what could possible go wrong, you can't fail but to make money on it.

HOLA442

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005482/House-untouched-100-years-bathroom-toilet-drains-heating-sale-250-000.html

It's a very nice house, but being skeptical it just seems to be a piece about creating a bit of a buying frenzy because you only need £200k to do it up and then you can flog it for £1.5m.

With all of the publicity this place has got, when it sells, it will be far from a bargain.

Several wannabes with too much cash and credit will be fighting amongst each other, and it will probably sell for over a million, leaving plenty of scope for losses coming up :lol:

HOLA443

I would love a house like this, and not for making money on. I think if you want an old house for its history it can be very frustrating when everywhere you look at has been done up to an inch of its life featuring whatever the trendy style is from the last few years (jacuzzi baths and granite worktops etc) and vendors expecting you to pay a premium for their taste.

Lots can go wrong to be honest - it can turn out you have to entirely rebuild stone walls using skilled craftsmen who don't come cheap, and do it with English Heritage breathing down your neck, apply for new listed building consent if something unexpected comes up that changes the plans for the restoration , pay for the costs of an archaeological investigation if you want to do anything that involves disturbing any ground, etc etc. Lots of people come unstuck doing this.

I would love to know for instance what the story is with this place here which is being sold before the second fix - my guess is that they ran out of money as you would surely make more if you actually finished doing it up than giving up halfway through.

HOLA444

:wub:

That place is 'only leave for good in a coffin' stuff, so it wouldn't matter to me how much it would be worth when it's done up.

HOLA445

Quite agree with Flora Poste's comment re: blinged up old houses. I've seen a few advertised in my search area: the sellers want you to pay for the status kitchen and swimming pool. I'd rather cook on an old stove and swim in the river, but to each their own.

Back on topic, the house in the article is here. The agents forget to mention it is on the A684! funny that.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19103466.html

HOLA446

There's no way that place will be worth £1.5m. I know this because my parents live in that precise area and houses of a similar size and age (but renovated) went for less than half that at 2008 peak.

If it really were worth 1.5 renovated, you can guarantee it will sell for more than £200k.

It's just an estate agent trying to get a bidding war going by getting an article in the daily mail.

• 4 years later...
HOLA447
HOLA448

what jobs are there nearby? love the area, Howgill Fells give a nice day hike, gorgeous, but top end of the yorkshire dales so I suspect neither commutable to Leeds, Manchester or Preston, perhaps Carlisle or Lancaster? (not checked a map) but they're not exactly notorious for their high paid jobs outside the public sector.

But it is a lovely house.

I was hiking up there once and went into a pub that served no alcohol, it was a Quaker temperance pub. I left very quickly :)

HOLA449

20 minute drive to oxenholme station (not as bad as I thought) then 1'15" train to Manchester, or 2'50" to Euston

could do it with a good london job that saw you staying in a bedsit in the smoke mon to thurs nights or with some home working?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

With all of the publicity this place has got, when it sells, it will be far from a bargain.

Several wannabes with too much cash and credit will be fighting amongst each other, and it will probably sell for over a million, leaving plenty of scope for losses coming up laugh.gif

In 1978 I tried to buy a place called Clodmore Hill Farm, Had 2.5 acres, electricity & a cold tap, otherwise a derelict shell. Offers around £13000. I dropped out at £18000, it made £23000. Plus ca change.

HOLA4414
Its stunning location in the Yorkshire Dales, near Sedbergh, means the house is probably worth £1.5 million when it is renovated.

Repo without roof trying to get somewhere around £3 Million (trying) in Sedbergh.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-34857732.html

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/205304-repo-for-l3m-with-no-roof-cumbria/

Sedbergh +5miles 42% of Rightmove listings (40/96) are Reduced or Failed sale.

I don't see buyers rushing to buy anything in and around Sedbergh <_<

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Frankly, it's a shame that whoever buys it is going to do it up to modern tastes, and then likely try and flog it on for a profit.

Yes...radiators, ten en-suite bathrooms, bland grey paint and laminate everywhere and those spotlight things in a false ceiling (the 2010s equivalent of Artex and swirly carpets).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

No real advantage to an unmodernised cottage, it's going to have damp, leaking roof, the lot.

In the case of early 20th century property which has been more substantially built, I can see benefits. A house that escaped the architectural vandalism of the 1960s onwards and more recent extensions of the modern era are indeed truly sought after, even if a bit of rewiring and heating might be in order.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2361731/The-house-time-forgot-Red-brick-semi-frozen-1920s-original-decoration-food-furniture-untouched-90-YEARS.html