House Price Crash Forum

U K Workless Households Double In 14 Years

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8552339/UK-workless-households-double-in-14-years.html

UK workless households double in 14 years
The number of workless households in the UK has almost doubled in 14 years, official figures show.
The number of homes in which no one has ever had a job rose sharply from 184,000 in the second quarter of 1997 to 352,000 in the second quarter of 2010, the latest statistics have revealed.
This equates to 1.7pc of all households, up from 1pc in 1997, the findings from the Office for National Statistics showed.
Inner London has the highest number of workless households, at 6.5pc of all homes - three times more than the next highest, which was outer London at 2.2pc.

I'm with the CBI--we need more asylum seekers and migrants to fill the jobs in this country. Not.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Lazy F******s

The number of homes in which no one has ever had a job rose sharply from 184,000 in the second quarter of 1997 to 352,000 in the second quarter of 2010, the latest statistics have revealed.

This equates to 1.7pc of all households, up from 1pc in 1997, the findings from the Office for National Statistics showed.

Inner London has the highest number of workless households, at 6.5pc of all homes - three times more than the next highest, which was outer London at 2.2pc.

Just 0.8pc of households in the South West, and 0.9pc in the South East, had households where not one person had ever had a job.

These people are taking the piss. Working on the sly and demanding their rights.

I see loads of jobs that could make our lives better:, such as cleaning the streets for nought.

What a daft system.....just giving the lazy f*****s money so they can sit around all day watching TV on their latest plasma TV, smoking fags and drinking, screaming at their disgusting kids and bashing each other up.

Bring back the work house...that's what I say.

HOLA443

http://www.telegraph...n-14-years.html

UK workless households double in 14 years
The number of workless households in the UK has almost doubled in 14 years, official figures show.

I'm with the CBI--we need more asylum seekers and migrants to fill the jobs in this country. Not.

Damn...you beat me to it.

ps

My rant is much more emotional than your level headed assessment......B)

HOLA444

Lazy F******s

These people are taking the piss. Working on the sly and demanding their rights.

I see loads of jobs that could make our lives better:, such as cleaning the streets for nought.

What a daft system.....just giving the lazy f*****s money so they can sit around all day watching TV on their latest plasma TV, smoking fags and drinking, screaming at their disgusting kids and bashing each other up.

Bring back the work house...that's what I say.

Its all part of Britishness doncha know. :(

BTW--I feel a merged threat brewing.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Can we just change the 40 hour week to 30 hours? Be plenty to go round then...

As long as you don't mind having your knee surgery done by Dave the unemployed carpenter who's taken Dr Smith's other 10 hours.

HOLA448

Blaming those out of work for not having a job is like blaming the milk for going off.

Direct your anger towards those who let this happen.

(Note: I work, and I pay my way. don't claim anything from anyone).

HOLA449

The problem is we have become too good at production. About 3% work in farming and produce all the food we need. Another 10% work in manufacturing at produce all we need. There are no jobs for them because everything that needs to be done is being done. The most obvious solution is to reduce the working week to 20 hours. Anyone that works more, claiming hard work is a virtue, will be taxed at 100% to pay the worker they have displaced.

Sure we could have people cleaning the streets, but why pay them nothing? Given the choice most people would prefer an office job to physical labour. Thus street cleaners should be paid more than office workers. Better still make the office worker put in 10 hours on the street cleaning. They won't think it is so good then. It seems that everyone with a nice job claims everyone else is less valuable than themselves. Remove money from these people and they are lost with no value system.

Edited by thod

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The problem is we have become too good at production. About 3% work in farming and produce all the food we need. Another 10% work in manufacturing at produce all we need. There are no jobs for them because everything that needs to be done is being done.

Except we import far more than we export. Especially in produce and manufactured goods.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

...The most obvious solution is to reduce the working week to 20 hours. Anyone that works more, claiming hard work is a virtue, will be taxed at 100% to pay the worker they have displaced.

Sure we could have people cleaning the streets, but why pay them nothing? Given the choice most people would prefer an office job to physical labour. Thus street cleaners should be paid more than office workers. Better still make the office worker put in 10 hours on the street cleaning. They won't think it is so good then. It seems that everyone with a nice job claims everyone else is less valuable than themselves. Remove money from these people and they are lost with no value system.

Yes and let's have the doctors putting in 10 hours as office workers.

And to be super fair lets have the street cleaners doing 10 hours of surgery a week.

Edited by Goat

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Blaming those out of work for not having a job is like blaming the milk for going off.

Direct your anger towards those who let this happen.

(Note: I work, and I pay my way. don't claim anything from anyone).

Nu Labour

:blink:

HOLA4422

hmm i find these numbers very very suspicious, the inactivity rate, that is the number who are not part of the work force and not looking for a job has stayed roughly constant as a % of our population at ~22%. So if the number of economically inactive is unchanged then how is it that the number of long term non-working households has doubled??

Are things like student numbers included in this count i wonder?

HOLA4423

I wonder if the "workless|" are mostly chavalier families of immigrant groups that are doing their own thing and thus come up in the stats as workless. :blink:

I spent half of 2009 in the Jobcentre before skipping this Sceptered Isle, and a visit these days is quite shocking in how many ordinary people you see there and most seem to have good skills (having earwigged the conversations at the next desk).

The obvious scroungers are in the minority now, I think if anything the immigrants are the ones getting the work, which is the problem

Edited by madpenguin

HOLA4424

The problem is we have become too good at production. About 3% work in farming and produce all the food we need. Another 10% work in manufacturing at produce all we need. There are no jobs for them because everything that needs to be done is being done.

No, everything that needs to be done is not being done.

At the trivial level my rubbish should be collected twice a week instead of once a week and I should have a few more haircuts each year. At the macro level there should be a tunnel or bridge to the Isle of Wight, at least one tidal energy barrier in the Severn, and there are still plenty of households without an iPad.

There are an infinite number of worthwhile projects in Britain, and indeed in every economy. Don't fall into the trap that, just because some goods and services are available, then all possible goods and services are available.

HOLA4425

In the meat factory I worked at, for each member of staff 300+ were fed.

The factory is closing, production is moving to Scotland, jobs will be lost. For each member of staff, 400 or so will be fed.

I was working for an agency. Some weeks I put 84 hours in and pulled £350 after tax.

Other weeks I was asked to drop a shift and earned less than dole for that week.

I QUIT MY JOB AND SIGNED ONTO THE DOLE.

I feel no guilt for doing so. My shifts were shared amongst the A8 nationals whom at the time were denied access to benefits.

Myself and the other workers benefited by me signing on! I claimed for 8 months and I was quite content with my lot. It felt good to know I was getting something back from a system which designates me lower class, even when working.

You can sign on, or work to cover your benefits. Income is roughly the same, but illness whilst working is punished by prescription charges and loss of pay, whilst you still have to pay for a weekly travel pass.

I work 40 hours, and commute for 10 hours for £200 a week. Some people get £400 a week in housing benefit, before their job seekers, council tax benefit, income support, disability living allowance, free bus passes, free prescription charges etc. etc. are taken into account.

THE SYSTEM IS AT FAULT

People are often making rational decisions when choosing benefits over work.

The current government seeks to impose punishment before reward.

Workers should be rewarded before those who choose not to work are punished.