House Price Crash Forum

Land Registry Falls From Peak Chart

HOLA441

Thought this might be of interest - knocked up a chart of the Land Reg % falls from peak and lo and behold, we're on pretty much exactly the same trajectory as late '07/early '08 (so much for the 'it'll be a gradual decline over the next 10 years brigade' ).

The next month or two are crucial IMO as this is when the bigger falls began in '08, so some more 1%+ drops will confirm that we are following the same road down. Given that interest rates are already rock bottom and the government doesn't have an impending election to buy win, doesn't seem much anyone can do or will do to stop the falls this time

falls from peak.jpg

(p.s. hope this works ok - never tried the image uploading thing before)

post-20860-0-50872100-1304625534_thumb.jpg

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If the latest decline tracks the old one, the rate of price declines should start to increase about now. In other words, the "roller coaster" of price falls may be just about to head down into the Big Dipper.

Get ready for the screams.... B)

HOLA445

If the latest decline tracks the old one, the rate of price declines should start to increase about now. In other words, the "roller coaster" of price falls may be just about to head down into the Big Dipper.

Get ready for the screams.... B)

Scream if you wanna go faster...

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Guys, you're dreaming.

This won't accelerate until interest rates rise.

Or at least, houses you want to buy won't drop much, the rubbish is dropping fast.

It'll take rate rises to squeeze the middle classes enough - they'll sit tight while they can.

HOLA449

Guys, you're dreaming.

Or at least, houses you want to buy won't drop much, the rubbish is dropping fast.

It'll take rate rises to squeeze the middle classes enough - they'll sit tight while they can.

True, but it's good to see prices falling even before rates rise... which they will later this year, even if only by 0.25%!

HOLA4410

Guys, you're dreaming.

I don't know - tax rises, benefit cuts and inflation seem to be having as good if not better effect on squeezing household disposable income.

Funny, I'm watching 4 or 5 decent houses at the moment - 4 bed detached, good school, 'burbs, that type of thing - and so far three have been reduced with no takers (this is in somerset which is a bit of a bellwether since its pretty average stats-wise).

As an aside, I just looked at Greater London. We're only two months past the second peak (G. London peaked later the first time as well) and prices are down 1.7%. At the same point in 2008 (i.e. two months past the peak), prices were down 0.8% - so it would appear that G. London is off to a faster start than in 2008 (but I'm sure this won't continue because we all know it's special ;) ).

HOLA4411

True, but it's good to see prices falling even before rates rise... which they will later this year, even if only by 0.25%!

Too true. I thought we needed rate rises but they're dropping again already. It'll be carnage if they ever have to lift them significantly.

edit: grammar

Edited by Fairies Wear Boots

HOLA4412

Thought this might be of interest - knocked up a chart of the Land Reg % falls from peak and lo and behold, we're on pretty much exactly the same trajectory as late '07/early '08 (so much for the 'it'll be a gradual decline over the next 10 years brigade' ).

The next month or two are crucial IMO as this is when the bigger falls began in '08, so some more 1%+ drops will confirm that we are following the same road down. Given that interest rates are already rock bottom and the government doesn't have an impending election to buy win, doesn't seem much anyone can do or will do to stop the falls this time

falls from peak.jpg

(p.s. hope this works ok - never tried the image uploading thing before)

Do I read at least 10 months to start looking around?

HOLA4413

Guys, you're dreaming.

Prices tanked in 2008/9 against a backdrop of falling interest rates, and only stabilised when rates hit zero.

Now rates are still zero, and prices are falling again.

I'm not sure interest rate rises are a necessary condition for house price falls.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

+1

I expect prices to tumble, and supply to be choked. So the house you want won't be for sale even if prices drop 25% plus. Low interest rates are allowing people to defer forced sales. This has gone on for about 3 years now, and will continue. The recent low volumes will diminish further and there will be almost no transactions occuring. Bad news for estate agents. Lower commissions and less sales.

Edited by arrgee1991

HOLA4416

I'm not sure interest rate rises are a necessary condition for house price falls.

No, but if they fall with stable rates, imagine what could happen if they revert to historical norms. 5% was typical prior to 2008. At that level, you are looking at mortgage rates of around 8-9% compared with the 4-5% typically been paid at present.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I am seeing crash speed in my area, a pattern has definitely started to emerge, that is

put the house on the market wait a bit then a big drop then sell, next similar house goes on for 10k less.

lots of stcc then available, then under offer then stcc etc

others just sit on the market

this is a major crash, I know the headline numbers don't reflect this but it is exactly what happened in the late 80s 90s.

the banks, the economy, the govt are completely screwed, they will fight it tooth and nail until the very end.

by the way my area is fairly affluent with plenty of jobs.

HOLA4422

+1

I expect prices to tumble, and supply to be choked. So the house you want won't be for sale even if prices drop 25% plus. Low interest rates are allowing people to defer forced sales. This has gone on for about 3 years now, and will continue. The recent low volumes will diminish further and there will be almost no transactions occurring. Bad news for estate agents. Lower commissions and less sales.

inflation is the elephant in the room here, that and low pay rises. The panic starts as the specter of negative equity approaches.

Negative equity, inflation, low pay rises or job reductions followed by the other demon interest rate rises in the future. This could all become very scary for Mr Middle class aspirational. Bankruptcy or house repossession does not fit with new 3 series man on the move image.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I don't know - tax rises, benefit cuts and inflation seem to be having as good if not better effect on squeezing household disposable income.

Funny, I'm watching 4 or 5 decent houses at the moment - 4 bed detached, good school, 'burbs, that type of thing - and so far three have been reduced with no takers (this is in somerset which is a bit of a bellwether since its pretty average stats-wise).

As an aside, I just looked at Greater London. We're only two months past the second peak (G. London peaked later the first time as well) and prices are down 1.7%. At the same point in 2008 (i.e. two months past the peak), prices were down 0.8% - so it would appear that G. London is off to a faster start than in 2008 (but I'm sure this won't continue because we all know it's special ;) ).

Given that London was the mother of all bubbles, your analysis doesn't surprise me in the least. There's still a long long way to go yet. IMHO.

Edited by bomberbrown

HOLA4425

Interesting chart. Let's hope it carries on the trend! Would be good if you could post an update every month.

+1

Thanks for producing that. Interesting that the start of HPC part 2, the widely anticipated second-leg down, has commenced at a faster rate than the initial 2007/08 crash... and that's despite QE and ZIRP.

No where to go but down now.

The inevitable can only be postponed; not prevented.