geezer466

HOLA441
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Yes, as expected its a complete f'ing disaster of gigantic proportions. From day one I never believed anything else despite all the so-called experts on here telling us all was well and how the reactors were safe. This stuff will be contaminating the oceans for decades to come. It's worse than Chernobyl, far worse.

HOLA444

NRA Chairman Shunichi Tanaka: "Of course, we'd hope to eliminate all leaks, but in this situation, all we can hope for is to minimize the impact on the environment. If you have any better ideas, we'd like to know."

I bet Kevin Costner has a patented solution.

HOLA445

Er, build an ocean barrier right around any runoff areas ASAP?

That's all I can think of in 2 secs, but I don't see it mentioned.

This is massive and extremely frightening. One wonders just how many other radiation cover ups there have been in this world?

HOLA446

This is massive and extremely frightening. One wonders just how many other radiation cover ups there have been in this world?

There may be another way...

DT: China blazes trail for 'clean' nuclear power from thorium

The Chinese are running away with thorium energy, sharpening a global race for the prize of clean, cheap, and safe nuclear power. Good luck to them. They may do us all a favour.

The downside being that thorium reactors would be rubbish for producing stuff to make nuclear weapons out of.

Which, aside from not being much of a downside, is very possibly the reason the research money went into the reactors we've got.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

If you put concrete on top it will force more contaminated water out from underneath which is where the leaks are coming from. If they dig underneath to seal it from underneath then I guess the leaks will increase at least for the several years the digging would take ... so after two years they are ... well no further forward and the plant infrastructure will be getting progressively worse day by day.

NRA Chairman Shunichi Tanaka: “Considering the state of the plant, it’s difficult to find a solution today or tomorrow… That’s probably not satisfactory to many of you. But that’s the reality we face after an accident like this… We don’t truly know whether that will work… Of course, we’d hope to eliminate all leaks, but in this situation, all we can hope for is to minimize the impact on the environment. If you have any better ideas, we’d like to know.”

I

IMHO it is a mess of immense proportions which will not go away for decades if ever.

no need to dig - there's a standard technique for lowering the permeability of a rock mass that comprises injecting a cementiceous grout at high pressure from a series of drill holes in a closly spaced pattern. This is used in the constructions of dams to prevent excessive leakage off the water beneath the dams foundation. I'd be surprised if the plant didn't have one in the first place, but it may not have been been extensive enough to stop the volume of contaminated water now present.

HOLA4411

I find this comment to be one of the scariest I have ever seen here.

Do you get spoonfed all your news from the BBC or something?

The real news media have been screaming about this and all the other leaks since it happened.

Did you know the leader of the explosion response team af Fukushima died of cancer a few days ago?

You know, your friendly BBC aren't going to talk about this (and you actually pay for that cr*p!).

BTW, don't eat the tuna, they concentrate heavy metals like mercury anyway - but that must also apply to Caesium-137 (half-life 30.7 years) , Strontium-90 (half life 28.8 years) etc.

news-graphics-2005-_607819a.gif

The bluefin spawn off Japan, and many migrate across the Pacific Ocean. Tissue samples taken from 15 bluefin caught in August, five months after the meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi, all contained reactor byproducts cesium-134 and cesium-137

What's happened in fuku

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Er, build an ocean barrier right around any runoff areas ASAP?

That's all I can think of in 2 secs, but I don't see it mentioned.

Proponents of Nuclear Energy often call NE 'clean'. My understanding of clean is not having anything that could be harmful in any way. So how the fook is NE clean? It's effing filthy.

HOLA4416

I find this comment to be one of the scariest I have ever seen here.

Do you get spoonfed all your news from the BBC or something?

The real news media have been screaming about this and all the other leaks since it happened.

Did you know the leader of the explosion response team af Fukushima died of cancer a few days ago?

You know, your friendly BBC aren't going to talk about this (and you actually pay for that cr*p!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23251102

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22974316

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22793353

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22770095

Yawn.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

It appears that 6 nuclear plants, leaking and radiating to their hearts content is perfectly safe...according to the last link...just wondering why they need any sheilding, fail safes and double backups at all really?

You could eat your dinner on the roof and be perfectly safe.

HOLA4419

Masao Yoshida, the Fukushima nuclear chief who led efforts to stabilise the crippled plant after the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, has died at the age of 58.

He had been suffering from oesophagal cancer, which Tepco said was not linked to his work at the plant.

Tepco has said it does not believe his illness was linked to radiation exposure, saying the condition would normally take between five and 10 years to develop if radiation were to blame.

SRSLY?

HOLA4420

Nicely squirreled away, not discussed in major news bulletins.

Also with the tone of "Let's not worry the farm animals".

Cancer not related to Fukushima.

Tuna is safe.

HOLA4421

If we're worrying about pollution and cancer, it might be worth taking a look out of the window: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jul/10/air-pollution-lung-cancer-heart-failure

Air pollution, chiefly from traffic exhaust fumes in cities, is having a serious and sometimes fatal effect on health, according to two studies that link it to lung cancer and heart failure.

Air pollution increases the risk of lung cancer even at levels lower than those recommended by the European Union, which are also standard in the UK, says a paper in the Lancet Oncology journal. Although smoking is a far bigger cause of lung cancer, a significant number of people will get the disease because of where they live.

Personally, I'm a lot more worried about that than I am about Fukushima.

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA4422

Nicely squirreled away, not discussed in major news bulletins.

Also with the tone of "Let's not worry the farm animals".

Cancer not related to Fukushima.

Tuna is safe.

Apparently the BBC weren't taking about it. Then it's squirrelled away....yet I found all of these stories in less than a minute.

The tone is the same as any other mainstream news report on the subject.

A direct link to the Tuna study is there if you want to take issue with it with the authors.

The plant chief apparently had cancer at the time of the accident - if you dispute the claim that cancer takes a number of years to develop, then I guess you'll have done your research and have research that backs up your view? Personally I have no idea and would be interested to find out what you have found.

Edit to add - please post a link to your 'real news media' source (including the graphic in your post), then we can do a fair comparison with the BBC. Sound fair?

Edited by shipbuilder

HOLA4423

Proponents of Nuclear Energy often call NE 'clean'. My understanding of clean is not having anything that could be harmful in any way. So how the fook is NE clean? It's effing filthy.

Indeed. Magic energy faeries are totally clean and produce as much energy as we want, I don't know why we don't use them.

HOLA4424

If we're worrying about pollution and cancer, it might be worth taking a look out of the window: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jul/10/air-pollution-lung-cancer-heart-failure

Look, soon you'll be talking about realistic metrics such as risks vs. utility, deaths per kWh, and things like that. And we don't want that, we want to run around with our hands in the air because of TEH RADIATIONZ IZ COMIN.

HOLA4425

If we're worrying about pollution and cancer, it might be worth taking a look out of the window: http://www.guardian....r-heart-failure

yeah, but its an addition to the current risk....but hey, you are more likely to slip and fall in the bath than be killed by a terrorist, but we need to employ 2.5 million and security guards come cheap.