House Price Crash Forum

Daily Mail Writer Manages To 'upset' The Readership

Pauly_Boy

HOLA441
HOLA442

every boomer I knew left school at 14 or15 after a life of childhood poverty. They were told they had a future if they worked hard. Most then worked 80 or more hours a week for most of their working lives. They never were allowed a work/life balance. Those fortunate to own their own house will see it sold to pay for their care in old age. History will judge them as complete idiots

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Thought to myself "blimey".

Then read a few more pages and thought to myself, this paper is nowhere near as bad as i'd been told.

Wash your mouth out and say 12 Hail Mary`s :D

Those fortunate to own their own house will see it sold to pay for their care in old age.

And their children Generation X will witness their inheritance withered away. :rolleyes:

HOLA446

FFS! The VE Generation!? Boomers have NOTHING to do with World War 2. The very oldest boomers were born after WWII and although sweet were rationed until the 1950s that's about the sum of the wartime hardship they endured. It sickens me that a bunch of 60s Mods and 70s hippies should be portrayed as if they fought at Dunkirk.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Here's the link ...

http://www.dailymail...ent-future.html

imho, a very well written article, but when you read the comments it's clear the boomers just dont get it!

"Since the late Nineties the net financial wealth of a couple in their early 30s has fallen by two-thirds — yet the wealth of people in their late 50s has almost trebled.

With rich baby-boomers buying two or more houses, it is now impossible for many young couples to get onto the property ladder."

HOLA4410

You would have thought with those extra years boomers would have picked something up , done a bit of research on the boom and bust cycle.

I say implement a massive tax on second home owndership whilst reducing taxes and red tape on manufacturing industries.

HOLA4411

every boomer I knew left school at 14 or15 after a life of childhood poverty. They were told they had a future if they worked hard. Most then worked 80 or more hours a week for most of their working lives. They never were allowed a work/life balance. Those fortunate to own their own house will see it sold to pay for their care in old age. History will judge them as complete idiots

Utter tripe. My dad was a grammar school boy born in 53. When I was growing up he refused to work overtime and never at weekends. He worked for the Abbey National fro mthe age of 22 with a couple of crap A-Levels, played a lot of cricket, bought cheap houses, had a crap time at work for the last 5 years. He retired at 50 with an index-linked pension of 25K a year. He's laughing.

HOLA4412

Utter tripe. My dad was a grammar school boy born in 53. When I was growing up he refused to work overtime and never at weekends. He worked for the Abbey National fro mthe age of 22 with a couple of crap A-Levels, played a lot of cricket, bought cheap houses, had a crap time at work for the last 5 years. He retired at 50 with an index-linked pension of 25K a year. He's laughing.

he may be laughing, but a bankrupt state cant keep paying an indexed linked pension, whether its via a bailed bank or to public sector.

Nor will he avoid the oncoming tax boom....specially aimed at easy targets...like properties, incomes and purchases.

He and thousands like him are a drain on the economy....

HOLA4413

"Since the late Nineties the net financial wealth of a couple in their early 30s has fallen by two-thirds — yet the wealth of people in their late 50s has almost trebled.

With rich baby-boomers buying two or more houses, it is now impossible for many young couples to get onto the property ladder."

Oh lookee, you got it there. Nail, meet Head.

Property-owners and especially Property-pimps got undeservedly rich. "Boomer"-bashing is a proxy for resentment of the latter.

HOLA4414

Your dad was born 7 years to late to be a boomer. He had it completely different. Your father would have had a different attitude to work being born in 1953. A boomer was born in 1946. A boomer will be 65 this year. A boomer would have been in a school class size of not less than 42. The baby boom was in 1946 but for some reason people tend to think a boomer refers to their parents regardless of when they were born..

HOLA4415

A boomer was born in 1946. A boomer will be 65 this year.

When talking about a generation* a single year is too narrow. I'd consider the baby boom to last for a decade starting in 1946 and perhaps a little longer. Otherwise, we end up with a theoretical baby boom in which everyone jumped in the sack on VE day and gave birth 9 months later**.

*I'll get my coat

**OK, so only half of them would have given birth

HOLA4416

Your dad was born 7 years to late to be a boomer. He had it completely different. Your father would have had a different attitude to work being born in 1953. A boomer was born in 1946. A boomer will be 65 this year. A boomer would have been in a school class size of not less than 42. The baby boom was in 1946 but for some reason people tend to think a boomer refers to their parents regardless of when they were born..

There's several points to make here:

- You're wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post%E2%80%93World_War_II_baby_boom birth rates only declined in 1957 in the US.

- You seem to think that things changed radically in 7 years after the war, which is absurd

- Where's your reference for the 42 figure?

Do some basic research before spouting even further ignorance.

HOLA4417

Oh lookee, you got it there. Nail, meet Head.

Property-owners and especially Property-pimps got undeservedly rich. "Boomer"-bashing is a proxy for resentment of the latter.

But boomer-bashing is so much fun! And what's best about it is that they were the know-it-all generation. Rip up all traditional ways of doing things, re-invent everything, their mantra seemed to be 'We know better!" Well, every generation does have a legacy, their's is much poorer than their parents. I wonder what our's will be?

HOLA4418

There's several points to make here:

- You're wrong: http://en.wikipedia....ar_II_baby_boom birth rates only declined in 1957 in the US.

- You seem to think that things changed radically in 7 years after the war, which is absurd

- Where's your reference for the 42 figure?

Do some basic research before spouting even further ignorance.

[/quote

]If you actually read your link you will see the peak in 1946. Things changed dramatically for the better in the post war years . I know because I was there. One of my brothers was born in 1957 and ,like your father , never understood the work ethic (idle). I am the reference for the 42 figure. From the day I started school in 1951 until I left at the age of 14 in 1960 I was never in a class size of less than 42. In 1957 it was 44 !!! and I have the class photos to prove it. I was born in the first quarter of 1946 as were most of my classmates. There where so many being born that most home births went unattended by midwives, including my own. I was a few weeks younger than most because on VE day my father was a hospitalised paratrooper recently released from a POW camp after being captured at Arnhem in september 1945. As soon as he got home on leave I was conceived although I never saw him for two years because he got posted abroad again until 1948.

How much basic research do you want before I spout even further ignorance ? .:lol:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

.. The baby boom was in 1946 but for some reason people tend to think a boomer refers to their parents regardless of when they were born..

There is an element of truth in that bit - the birth rate was plumetting by the mid 1950s, but I've seen the definition of boomer smudged out to the early 1970s on some of the numerous other boomer bashing threads.

Really, there was never really much of a UK bay boom as shown below from the BBC other than 1946-48 - you can see the spike clearly in the bottom graph. The true boom was more of a USA thing, and now is just lazy journalism and witless posting when applied to the UK.

_41437439_baby_boom1_416x237.gif

The actual population bulge in the UK right now is Gen Xers in their 30s-40s. Although if the figures above are correct then there must be a couple of million non UK born youngish immigrants making up the balance. (From Thisismoney)

uk_population_3.gif

HOLA4421

he may be laughing, but a bankrupt state cant keep paying an indexed linked pension, whether its via a bailed bank or to public sector.

Nor will he avoid the oncoming tax boom....specially aimed at easy targets...like properties, incomes and purchases.

He and thousands like him are a drain on the economy....

He's getting a private pension paid by the Abbey National which is fully funded, index linked or not; the state has nothing to do with it.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

658,000 retirees this year and 806,000 next year and presumably a similar number for the next for the next 2 or 3 years. Maybe 2 billion extra per year....

Thank god that most of those will be dead within the next ten years just like the last lot that retired ten years ago. Will it never end ?

Shares in funeral directors are well worth a punt

HOLA4424

If you actually read your link you will see the peak in 1946. Things changed dramatically for the better in the post war years . I know because I was there. One of my brothers was born in 1957 and ,like your father , never understood the work ethic (idle). I am the reference for the 42 figure. From the day I started school in 1951 until I left at the age of 14 in 1960 I was never in a class size of less than 42. In 1957 it was 44 !!! and I have the class photos to prove it. I was born in the first quarter of 1946 as were most of my classmates. There where so many being born that most home births went unattended by midwives, including my own. I was a few weeks younger than most because on VE day my father was a hospitalised paratrooper recently released from a POW camp after being captured at Arnhem in september 1945. As soon as he got home on leave I was conceived although I never saw him for two years because he got posted abroad again until 1948.

How much basic research do you want before I spout even further ignorance ? .:lol:

The baby boom was a phenomenon of the Western World. Or are you saying that the European, UK and American economies are unrelated? Birth rates were higher than pre-war levels for 20-30 years after the war.

Are you seriously suggesting that the phrase "baby boomers" covers 1% of the population?

I don't take personal anecdotes as facts. What's the relevance of your family history?

HOLA4425

loads of the comments on this mail article are from Boomers now living in spain oh the irony!

Priceless isn't it!

Still, these type of people also believe there skin adapts to the sun and they're invincible against skin cancer! Good luck getting chemo on the spanish health service!

Archived