House Price Crash Forum

'250 Jobs Go As Crisp Factory Shuts'

libitina

HOLA441
Crisp giant Walkers is to close one of its factories with the loss of 250 jobs under cost-cutting plans.

The plant at Swansea in south Wales, where products including Monster Munch and Wotsits are made, will close over the next six months.

Walkers said it had taken the "difficult decision" to move production to a number of other factories, including Peterlee in Durham and Coventry.

Walkers president Martin Glenn said: "In today's increasingly competitive environment, we have to operate as efficiently as possible to ensure the continued success of our business.

"With this in mind, we have taken the decision to move production from Swansea to other Walkers sites that are closer to our distribution centres.

"This will allow us to make cost savings on the snacks that are currently made in Swansea and enable us to distribute them more efficiently to retailers.

"Although we are closing the Swansea plant, we're hoping that all of the people who work there will continue to work with us.

"Everyone who works at the plant will be offered jobs at our other sites and we will be talking to people individually about that over the next few weeks."

The Swansea factory is a listed building and one of the landmarks on the western approach to the city because of its distinctive square-shaped clock tower.

The factory is more than 50 years old and was bought by Walkers from Smiths Crisps.

http://channels.aolsvc.co.uk/news/article....n&p=news&c=news

(link will only work for AOL members)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Is it just me or has Wales taken quite a lot of job losses recently.

I personally put this one down to the terrible advert with crisps turning into ipods. The old one about stealing packs was much better – a bit like Tom and Jerry.

Theres loads of Coal underneath Wales. Why don't they open some mines & create some jobs that way? (At least until the Torys get back in anyway!)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Apparently it makes more sense to import coal from thousands of miles away, make miners unemployed here and pay them benefits.

Indeed. Had NuLab been in charge back then they'd just have imported the foreign miners to replace the British ones.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I am shocked and disturbed by this news :o

I thought I was keeping Walkers crisps going all by myself!! I an extremely concerned that this decision may limit the supply of my favourite savory snack :o

Something should be done...Blair should intervene and stop this nonsense NOW.

It is the duty of every democratic government to ensure a steady supply of savoury snacks and if the government does not step in and prop up this ailing business with tax payers money then I will NOT VOTE NL AT THE NEXT ELECTION.

This is serious...fellow snack attackers should unite

SAVE THE SNACK...SAVE THE SNACK

HOLA4417
HOLA4418