House Price Crash Forum

Are We Really That Smart?

Pole

HOLA441

What's the point of having a discussion on this forum, if most of the time we moan about reality? (I'm as guilty as the next fella :rolleyes: )

I've just realised that yet another month we look at the inflation figures. Yet another month we (the smart guys of this world) think that they are too high. Yet another month we say here that IRs should go up, etc. Yet another month we make jokes about Mervin and his pals. Yet another month we spend countless hours laughing at the ONS basket, etc. etc.

And time goes by.

The reality is that they clearly have decided to trash the pound and inflate the way out of the crisis. And there's little point arguing about why and what for... I know myself that it doesn't make sense. However, we live in this world and that's the reality (whether we like it or not).

Instead, we seem to be wasting a lot of time preaching to each other how the world should look like.

How about we concentrate on a more practical debate which would advise HPC members on how to make the most out of the reality?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The reality is that they clearly have decided to trash the pound and inflate the way out of the crisis.

Wake up, smell the coffee! People like Vince or HPC's FP were telling us this back in around 2003.

I hadn't even joined HPC in 2007 when I wrote We’ll inflate our way out of letting the city bankers – and indeed multiple-home-owners – face the consequences of their gambling. .... Whether or not this could be fixed using interest rates is now immaterial. They’re not even going to try.

How about we concentrate on a more practical debate which would advise HPC members on how to make the most out of the reality?

Try some of the other boards on HPC. Or elsewhere on the 'net, if you fancy a different collection of nutjobs with different attitudes and prejudices.

HOLA445

What's the point of having a discussion on this forum, if most of the time we moan about reality? (I'm as guilty as the next fella :rolleyes: )

I've just realised that yet another month we look at the inflation figures. Yet another month we (the smart guys of this world) think that they are too high. Yet another month we say here that IRs should go up, etc. Yet another month we make jokes about Mervin and his pals. Yet another month we spend countless hours laughing at the ONS basket, etc. etc.

And time goes by.

The reality is that they clearly have decided to trash the pound and inflate the way out of the crisis. And there's little point arguing about why and what for... I know myself that it doesn't make sense. However, we live in this world and that's the reality (whether we like it or not).

Instead, we seem to be wasting a lot of time preaching to each other how the world should look like.

not ALL HPC posters are part of the same groupthink as you, even your response to your own conversion to damascus is latent groupthink

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

just protect yourself, they can't keep the con going forever.

Sooner or later the chickens come home to roost

"True, governments can reduce the rate of interest in the short run. They can issue additional paper money. They can open the way to credit expansion by the banks. They can thus create an artificial boom and the appearance of prosperity. But such a boom is bound to collapse soon or late and to bring about a depression"

Ludwig Von Mises

HOLA449
HOLA4410

time goes by.

[...]I know myself that it doesn't make sense. However, we live in this world and that's the reality (whether we like it or not).

The catastrophe will wreck us all, right and wrong. But at least I'm among the righteous here

Cue: Gold, Guns, Beans....

HOLA4411

What is reality ?

If you go by last nights Horizon we're just a hologramic image embedded with hyper-complex mathematical calculations...

Indeed. I couldn't help thinking it was all rather similar to the medieval debates about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

I was definitely suspicious of that baldy pony-tailed bloke who reckoned he'd built a deep-freeze computer that was more powerful than an ordinary computer the size of the whole universe. It appeared to fit into his basement!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

HPC groupthink helps build the solidarity we comrades need to resist the primeval urge to stampede along with the herd as they hurtle towards the edge of the cliff.

Mervyn and the other criminals were only able to delay this so long but - and the Bank of England should know this better than anyone - you cannot buck the market. Houses are now in 'crash cruise speed' at 0% interest rates. Just think about that! The trend is down and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

3.7% CPI inflation is meaningless to me when housing is such a greater proportion of my income. Plus, as a HPCer you're loaded up on NS&I certs and shiny conductive metals right? ;)

HOLA4414

I'd argue (and I'm not the first on this thread to do so) that there is a lot of advice on this board about adapting to the current situation.

While most threads are moans about politics, economics, etc..., I have picked up a lot of valuable advice on how to protect my savings, e.g. 2 years ago I thought shiny metals were for jewelery only.

HOLA4415

"True, governments can reduce the rate of interest in the short run. They can issue additional paper money. They can open the way to credit expansion by the banks. They can thus create an artificial boom and the appearance of prosperity. But such a boom is bound to collapse soon or late and to bring about a depression"

Ludwig Von Mises

Why is a natural rate for the rate of interest any higher than the current levels?

I recall a discussion in 2007 where one of the participants put in very forceful arguments why interest rates should be negative. The general gist being to negate the paradox of thrift.

HOLA4416