House Price Crash Forum

Can't Home "owners" Afford A Full Tank Of Petrol Any More?!

HOLA441

I went to a petrol station this afternoon to fill up. Then a newish looking Mercedes M Class pulled up on the other side of the pump, put some petrol, and left. Kind of fast. I looked at my pump and it was at around 30L, and I had started before the merc arrived. That merc. must have put at most £20. Probably only a tenner!

Then I started to pay attention around, and most cars were not filling up. And these were good, expensive, newish cars. Most better and newer than mine. And it was in a good middle-class area. Strange.

Can't home "owners" afford a full tank of petrol any more?!

Edited by Tired of Waiting

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I went to a petrol station this afternoon to fill up. A Mercedes M Class, newish looking, pulled up on the other side of the pump, put some petrol, and left. Kind of fast. I looked at my pump and it was at around 30l, and I had started before the merc arrived. That merc. must have put at most £20. Probably only a tenner!

I started to pay attention around, and most cars were not filling up. And these were good, expensive newish cars. Most better and newer than mine. And it was in a good middle-class area. Strange.

Can't home "owners" afford a full tank of petrol?!

or maybe just topping up before a long journey

or maybe just replacing the used petrol before returning a borrowed car

or maybe realised that only had £20 in cash

or maybe etc etc

HOLA445

or maybe just topping up before a long journey

or maybe just replacing the used petrol before returning a borrowed car

or maybe realised that only had £20 in cash

or maybe etc etc

Yes, I had thought about your 2nd hypotheses also, for the first Merc. I hadn't thought about your first - possible too. 3rd was not: she paid at the pump with a credit card.

BUT when more cars didn't stay at the pumps long enough to fill up, it became strange.

Still, it was not a sample large enough to infer much from.

Hence this post. :)

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA446

I'd never be stupid enough to buy such a guzzler.

I get about 23mpg, 25mpg on super unleaded. Worth every penny of the £250/month it costs me - at 350bhp that's only £0.70 per horse per month. A ******ing bargain compared to the dreary tedious diesel piece of eco dung i had previously - that cost me about £120/month but had a much less economical horses per £ ratio.

I own half my house, the bank owns the other half. The great thing about this arrangement is that i get to live in it before i've even paid for it.

HOLA447

Perhaps it was the creepy person standing around at the pump staring at them that made them decide to hustle and get out of there :P I'm only kidding :)

Edit - To say that you can't make a reasonable conclusion from such a menial observation. Perhaps there was a bad whiff coming over from the sewage works, maybe there was a good radio programme on, there may have been a hot woman just walked by and they wanted to catch up to get another look? If it were a common occurance, a daily phenomenon, then ok. I'd like to believe that there are a large number of faux rich out there, and there will be plenty, but not that many.

Edited by jammo

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I went to a petrol station this afternoon to fill up. A Mercedes M Class, newish looking, pulled up on the other side of the pump, put some petrol, and left. Kind of fast. I looked at my pump and it was at around 30l, and I had started before the merc arrived. That merc. must have put at most £20. Probably only a tenner!

I started to pay attention around, and most cars were not filling up. And these were good, expensive newish cars. Most better and newer than mine. And it was in a good middle-class area. Strange.

Can't home "owners" afford a full tank of petrol?!

Simple explanation. You are surrounded by tin-foil hat types who don't dare allow their petrol tanks get even slightly empty because they know that paper money is about to lose all its value, so they are keeping topped up to the brim to put them in a better position for when financial armageddon comes. They probably all post on here!

<_<

Optobear

HOLA4417

I only stick £10 in a time, and ive got plenty in the bank.

My ex used to do that all the time. Winded me up no end! If I remember right, his reasoning was you didn't lose a full tank of petrol if your car got nicked. His car was nicked last year and burned out. I guess his reasoning came good in the end since he wasn't assisiting with the torching of his own car with full tank of petrol.

Why??

Gotta point this out ToW, but not all gas guzzling car drivers 'own' their own home. Probably the opposite. :huh:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

You don't know they aren't filling up without first knowing how much was in the car when they started. I knew a woman once who genuinely believed that if you made more stops and refilled more often it worked out cheaper because you spent less per visit to a petrol station. 'a full tank is 40 pounds! I only spend about 15 a time this way'.

Someone gave her a mortgage.

HOLA4421

You don't know they aren't filling up without first knowing how much was in the car when they started. I knew a woman once who genuinely believed that if you made more stops and refilled more often it worked out cheaper because you spent less per visit to a petrol station. 'a full tank is 40 pounds! I only spend about 15 a time this way'.

The ultra miling guys have something to say about this (they remove almost everything bar the driver seat and controls from their cars!) In that 1 litre of petrol weighs about 720grammes. Therefore if you stick in 50 litres you are carrying an extra 36 kilos around with you if you have a full tank compared to fumes.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4425