House Price Crash Forum

Greedy Seller Is Back To Where They Started - Rightmove

HOLA441

I spotted this whilst doing my usual Rightmove search:

Rightmove price changes

Property came onto the market 18 March 2009 @ 160k. The price then increased to 185k, no doubt due to all of the media spin. The price has now dropped back to 160k, so the seller has achieved nothing since March 2009, and has probably missed any chance of selling for 160k. I remember seeing the price increase on this property last year, and thinking how greedy the owner must be. Seeing this reduction today has cheered me up no end.

I still wouldn't buy it though.... horrible little shoe box!! :lol::lol:

Edited by daves mum

HOLA442

Rightmove price changes

Property came onto the market 18 March 2010 @ 160k. The price then increased to 185k, no doubt due to all of the media spin. The price has now dropped back to 160k, so the seller has achieved nothing since March 2009, and has probably missed any chance of selling for 160k. I remember seeing the price increase on this property last year, and thinking how greedy the owner must be. Seeing this reduction today has cheered me up no end.

I still wouldn't buy it though.... horrible little shoe box!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

60k tops IMO. Once a decent number of people realise they will never get peak price we will have the fearful meltdown. Government can`t control the herd once it turns.

HOLA443

Rightmove price changes

Property came onto the market 18 March 2009 @ 160k. The price then increased to 185k, no doubt due to all of the media spin. The price has now dropped back to 160k, so the seller has achieved nothing since March 2009, and has probably missed any chance of selling for 160k. I remember seeing the price increase on this property last year, and thinking how greedy the owner must be. Seeing this reduction today has cheered me up no end.

I still wouldn't buy it though.... horrible little shoe box!! :lol::lol:

Funny! I read your post yesterday (but didn't click the link).

Then this morning was doing my reagular trawl of properties near me, found a 'similar' situation, came back to respond, and found it was the SAME property. Looks like we're in the same area...

My favourite bit of this house's price history is the use of the phrase "Fixed Price" at the top of the pricing curve:

18 March 2009 £159,995

26 June 2009 £169,950

01 May 2010 £185,000 (Fixed Price)

05 May 2010 £179,950

21 June 2010 £175,000

22 June 2010 £175,950

27 July 2010 £159,950

Fixed for.... 4 days....? :lol:

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Funny! I read your post yesterday (but didn't click the link).

Then this morning was doing my reagular trawl of properties near me, found a 'similar' situation, came back to respond, and found it was the SAME property. Looks like we're in the same area...

My favourite bit of this house's price history is the use of the phrase "Fixed Price" at the top of the pricing curve:

18 March 2009 £159,995

26 June 2009 £169,950

01 May 2010 £185,000 (Fixed Price)

05 May 2010 £179,950

21 June 2010 £175,000

22 June 2010 £175,950

27 July 2010 £159,950

Fixed for.... 4 days....? :lol:

‘Fixed price’ must be available as an option on RightMove because it’s one of the ways of advertising a property for sale in Scotland (the others being Offers Over and a variety of weird and wonderful new ones like Offers Around). I get the impression that some EAs in England and Wales sometimes pick it too when setting prices, although it is completely and utterly meaningless there. In fact really it is meaningless in Scotland too, as Fixed Price really always just meant that the price was set as in England and Wales, and you could always offer less if you wanted. In a sequence of price changes like this, Fixed Price just looks stupid and pompous.

HOLA448

2-bed mid terrace near Warwick for £169k, are they having a laugh ?

Think about salary multipliers, are they suggesting someone on £50k a year would buy that ?

I'd say £80k tops for that place.

Somebody on £50k (who is sensible with money and hence has a decent deposit) should be able to afford a 4 bedroomed semi- or detached.

We have lost any semblance of meritocracy. It's not worth busting a gut to earn an extra £10K, as it doesn't get you anywhere. Just wait for your parents' property portfolio to mature, pay them a nice pension, and get you on the "ladder". Anyone can do it. To hell with working hard for your bread.

I would like to see (being realistic):

2 bed terraced: £110K

2 bed semi, 3 bed terraced: £140K

3 bed semi: £170K

3 bed detached, 4 bed semi: £200K

4 bed detached: £230K

Will it happen? Hmmm....

HOLA449

Somebody on £50k (who is sensible with money and hence has a decent deposit) should be able to afford a 4 bedroomed semi- or detached.

We have lost any semblance of meritocracy. It's not worth busting a gut to earn an extra £10K, as it doesn't get you anywhere. Just wait for your parents' property portfolio to mature, pay them a nice pension, and get you on the "ladder". Anyone can do it. To hell with working hard for your bread.

Will it happen? Hmmm....

Blimey, in my book what you're asking for would still be overpriced. Knock another 30% at least off those prices, and it's realistic. 2 Bed semi for 140K? 80 is a sufficient price.

HOLA4410

Will it happen? Hmmm....

I'm less than an hour from London on the train, and prices are lower than that here.

HOLA4411

Will it happen? Hmmm....

If you are in warwick, then I am just up the road from you.

Of your suggested 'desired' prices, I can only agree with the price for a 4 bed detached. Plenty of 3 bed terraces on for £140k round here. Sadly £140k only permits you to live next door to a drunk or mental case with a growth of rubbish in the garden or a 'family' on benefits with a collection of unwanted/broken kids toys in the flower beds instead of plants as well as lots of noise and cars parked by the roadside all 'keyed'.

My best guess is that the average wage in Coventry is about £22-23k

For normality to return the prices will have to fall to £80-85k ish for a 3bed terrace, and cuts in hb to steadily remove all underclass back to their run down flats / estates.

In short, the two things need to happen. Remove the underclass from honest working class areas and then let prices fall to levels that decent honest people can afford.

Hence, £80-85k for a 3 bed terrace, and steady price increments from there.

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

There is a slightly less than desireable attached courtyard barn conversion that has been up for sale for at least three years with Nick Carver (despite what you see on rightmove it has been relisted) in Hutton Village near Guisborough. It was probably a £100k at least overpriced when it first went up and has progressively become overvalued as time went buy. It has been reduced by a paltry £20k in the last few weeks and has now been re-listed with an other agent at the pre drop price. It is presumably the agents fault that it hasn't sold, not the fact that it is ugly, not private and way overpriced. They must think we are all stupid.

Overpriced ugly duckling

HOLA4414

I'm less than an hour from London on the train, and prices are lower than that here.

There are various places that come in cheaper than Warwick that are closer to London (Corby being one notable example that I found). But Warwick is a so-called "nice" area, unrelated to its proximity to London.

I don't think Warwick prices can be compared with just anywhere. But currently 4 bed detached come in at about £350K and upwards. There is no justification for such prices. I don't believe everyone owning such a house is the MD of a company, which is about where they would have to be...

HOLA4415

This one in Oxford makes me laugh.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26099474.html?premiumA=true

It was on the market for 9 months with little interest, they put it up by £15k to £225k in March this year and it's still on the market.

Knowing that area well I wouldn't want to live there but I would be prepared to for the right price, however £225k isn't the right price.

HOLA4416

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26099474.html?premiumA=true

It was on the market for 9 months with little interest, they put it up by £15k to £225k in March this year and it's still on the market.

Knowing that area well I wouldn't want to live there but I would be prepared to for the right price, however £225k isn't the right price.

Made me laugh to, particularly the fact that it was advertised briefly as having a "new price" - meaning that they put the price up!

HOLA4417

Urgh....so damn ugly they only bothered to put 1 photo up, and even then the house in that photo looks sh1t... :lol:

And look at that nasty alleyway right next to it.

If only the interwebs allowed visitors to that page to see all pages linking to it...and the comments here B)

HOLA4418

2-bed mid terrace near Warwick for £169k, are they having a laugh ?

Think about salary multipliers, are they suggesting someone on £50k a year would buy that ?

I'd say £80k tops for that place.

People are deluded numpties.

£160k for a 2 bedder amazing.........

....and the fact that it's right nextdoor to the Warwick bypass, and that buggers noisy!! I used to live on the Woodloes estate in the late 70's early 80's.

HOLA4419

Two hundred and twenty five thousand pounds for this hole. Is someone having a laugh here?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I've been lurking for a few months and finally taken the plunge. Looking in Bath and NE Somerset area.

Here's my first contri.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-7325085.html

Look at the bee history. You gotta be joking!

Welcome to the forum. That house has been on here before. There was some talk of gold deposits in the back garden!