House Price Crash Forum

Why Are People So Obsessed With The Royal Family?

HOLA441

Never understood why people are interested in the Royal family - whilst I can see from the point of view of watching Royal Wedding, or being interested the fashion and celebrity sides of things. And then we get we listen to these debates on wether we should get rid of the royal family and the UK should become a Republic - Sorry as far as I am aware the Royal family have not been relevant since lets say before the Victoria Reign - They have gradually lost influence and all power since cromwell's day - When the exact moment they lost their power is I am not sure.

Whilst in theory the Queen has some powers - she not going to use them ever. So the question why are people so obssessed with them, they are just like figureheads no different than day the president of ireland. So why all the debate about getting rid of them - they are not relevant anymore.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Never understood why people are interested in the Royal family - whilst I can see from the point of view of watching Royal Wedding, or being interested the fashion and celebrity sides of things. And then we get we listen to these debates on wether we should get rid of the royal family and the UK should become a Republic - Sorry as far as I am aware the Royal family have not been relevant since lets say before the Victoria Reign - They have gradually lost influence and all power since cromwell's day - When the exact moment they lost their power is I am not sure.

Whilst in theory the Queen has some powers - she not going to use them ever. So the question why are people so obssessed with them, they are just like figureheads no different than day the president of ireland. So why all the debate about getting rid of them - they are not relevant anymore.

I hope you can seee the irony in your post...:D

HOLA444

Cos' Jim and Barb are the best......

HOLA445
HOLA446

People are obsessed by the cult of celebrity, of which the Royal Family are minor deities.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Dunno, but I find it most ironic that it's the serfs that tend to eulogise them.

Feck 'em; Cromwell had the right idea.

HOLA449

Dunno, but I find it most ironic that it's the serfs that tend to eulogise them.

Feck 'em; Cromwell had the right idea.

Saw a programme about Cromwell recently. By all accounts he seemed a bit of a religious nutter. Then again I never met him so can't be certain.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

At £60 odd million they work out a hell of a lot better value for money than the government.

Reinstate the monarchy! It'll save us a small fortune and give an opportunity to all those

highly skilled legislators, who sacrifice a well paid career in private industry to run the

country for our benefit, a chance to live the lives they deserve.

HOLA4412

I'm a bit confused about exactly what it is that you are trying to say. Are you complaining about the alleged media obsession with them or about the fact that we have a monarchy at all?

If it is the latter. Whilst I find the entire idea of a family that is given incredible amounts of money just for being born absolutely ridiculous and morally absurd - give me a decent alternative that it is plausible would be enacted and I'll happily embrace it.

HOLA4413

I'm a bit confused about exactly what it is that you are trying to say. Are you complaining about the alleged media obsession with them or about the fact that we have a monarchy at all?

If it is the latter. Whilst I find the entire idea of a family that is given incredible amounts of money just for being born absolutely ridiculous and morally absurd - give me a decent alternative that it is plausible would be enacted and I'll happily embrace it.

Both really - I just listen to people discussing royals - and its like Sorry but they don't have any power at all - they are just figureheads - do they really understand this - are they really so stupid that they think the queen actually runs the UK.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest X-QUORK

I'm not mad keen on the Royals, but I'd rather we had them than not on balance. I have a lot of respect for the Queen who has given her freedom to serve the Nation as head of State.

HOLA4416

I'm not mad keen on the Royals, but I'd rather we had them than not on balance. I have a lot of respect for the Queen who has given her freedom to serve the Nation as head of State.

Seconded. Charles will not be so worthy a Monarch as that we have now.

HOLA4417

Both really - I just listen to people discussing royals - and its like Sorry but they don't have any power at all - they are just figureheads - do they really understand this - are they really so stupid that they think the queen actually runs the UK.

I'm not entirely sure you are right actually.

Whilst the Queen has very limited 'power' there are a number of rights that remain with the Crown that are constitutionally important. Granted they are never used and probably never will be, but their existence alone preserves fundamental elements of Britain's so-called democracy that I would not like to see eroded.

HOLA4418

Entirely agree with this, they are independently rich enough to do exactly what they want (see Jamie Blandford) but spend their time visiting hospitals and old peoples' homes and being nice to dull people. I am glad they are there but, tbh, turn past the royal stories in the paper as I can't say I'm that interested in the detail of their lives.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Entirely agree with this, they are independently rich enough to do exactly what they want (see Jamie Blandford) but spend their time visiting hospitals and old peoples' homes and being nice to dull people. I am glad they are there but, tbh, turn past the royal stories in the paper as I can't say I'm that interested in the detail of their lives.

Is there any such thing as 'independently rich' for such dynasties?

I suppose if someone acquires their own wealth by providing something that others want in a free market, we might consider them to be independently wealthy, but as far as I know that doesn't apply to the Royals.

HOLA4422

I suppose if someone acquires their own wealth by providing something that others want in a free market, we might consider them to be independently wealthy, but as far as I know that doesn't apply to the Royals.

They (used) to provide patronage.... does that count ?

HOLA4423

They have their own money and assets in their own names. They don't own Windsor or Buck House so would just give those up. That counts as independently rich to me. Don't go all Injin on me here.

HOLA4424

They have their own money and assets in their own names. They don't own Windsor or Buck House so would just give those up. That counts as independently rich to me. Don't go all Injin on me here.

I'll do my best! :D

(It won't be that hard actually as I never understand what Injin's on about! ;) )

HOLA4425

Archived