House Price Crash Forum

Do You Have A "cult" Band?

OnionTerror

HOLA441

You know, one that you've always been a fan of, but haven't really done much commercially, even if they've been critically acclaimed for their output.. A couple of mates have The Fall (excellent choice) as their cult band. I have several, but I think my main one is Six By Seven. I saw them before they split up the first time in Bristol (I believe they're now gone for good) :( ..

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Carter USM.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

When bands like this, who do gigs like they did start popping up we'll know in a recession :lol:

HOLA445

Since then I've seen them play so many times that I get a hug and a kiss every time I see them, get taken to parties, know all of their mates etc. It's definitely best to support the smaller artists because they do really appreciate you a lot more.

Sorry, this post just really made me think of this:

goldsczt4re4csto.jpg

HOLA446

I'm a fan of the much maligned genre of powerpop. None of the bands I like and follow (or have followed) are especially famous despite producing quite accessible music. Teenage Fanclub are probably most famous (Oasis: "the second best band in the world", Kurt Cobain "the best band in the world"). The most obscure is Steve Ward who used to be in a marginally less obscure band called Cherry Twister. I bought some CDs of his solo records from the US and the address label handwriting was the same as the handwriting in the album sleeves! Check him out, he deserves a bigger audience

I also really like The Decemberists who are quite big in the US in the Portland scenester circles but possibly not here. Here is their excellent Iraq war video. Watch the whole thing, its a great little satirical story.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tK3Ce9md96g

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

You know, one that you've always been a fan of, but haven't really done much commercially, even if they've been critically acclaimed for their output..

New fast Automatic Daffodils.... brilliant band that never made it big, and I was really surprised.. in fact I had a bet on that they'd have a top 10 single.... I lost, but haven't paid up yet!!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Eek..have dozens of cult bands,as I like obscure prog and psychedelia.The 13th Floor Elevators; The Golden Dawn; Neighb'rhood Childr'n; The Open Mind; Peanut Butter Conspiracy; Music Emporium; J D Blackfoot; Pete Brown & Piblokto; Elfpower; The Magic Mushroom Band; Ya Ho Wa 13.All very interesting,and many on Youtube.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I don't think DJ Shadow or Orbital are really that cult though? Everyone has heard of them surely?

Possibly, although they've never been that big, and are probably still considered to be "underground" artists...They certainly ain't someone like Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy or Fatboy Slim..

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

BUDGIE one of the first heavy rock bands, started in 1970, still going today. almost made it big in 76 then made mistake of switching record company.

worlds most underated band. some bands, their power and sound cannot be captured on record.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm a big fan of thievery corporation no one I know has ever heard of them. They are a definate soundtrack to various times of my life. this tune for example reminds me of the bubble me and the mrs were in when our daughter was born. *sheds tear*

HOLA4424

The Trashcan Sinatras (Glasgow band)

Trembling Blue Stars (Bobby Wratten from the Field Mice).

Dance wise, probably Hybrid. They make albums but used to DJ alot. Great remixers too.

Kiss and Make up - great song, fantastic st ettiene remix.

HOLA4425

There are loads of cult bands I like. How cult do you want to go? Mildly alternative or proper underground?

Cardiacs - they go from incomprehensible to pure genius in the space of a key change.

Blyth Power - loads of melodic punk songs about great battles, cricket, and the like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPiPyFR80l0&feature=PlayList&p=E26CF3492839BE37&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=33

Have to add to the chorus of approval for Half Man Half Biscuit - Paintball's Coming Home, what a song.

Death in June - liked the first couple of albums when they were like Joy Division on acid. Proper goth - none of this New Rock-booted emo crap.

West Coast Pop Art Experiment Band - like a child's drawing of what a psychedelic band should be.

Archived