House Price Crash Forum

Give The Bin Men What They Want

HOLA441

I was in Corfu when the Greeks were striking earlier this year. The only thing I noticed was the overflowing bins.

It was the same in the 1980s.

If we get to the national strike stage, then let's not repeat the mistakes of the past. Give the bin men what they want! They do a useful job and I doubt they're asking for much anyway.

The police and the doctors won't strike. I seriously doubt we'd notice any of the others. Oh sh*t, diversity outreach co-ordination services are down today, what are we going to do? In fact, a national strike could potentially be a useful deficit-reduction measure.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I was in Corfu when the Greeks were striking earlier this year. The only thing I noticed was the overflowing bins.

It was the same in the 1980s.

If we get to the national strike stage, then let's not repeat the mistakes of the past. Give the bin men what they want! They do a useful job and I doubt they're asking for much anyway.

The police and the doctors won't strike. I seriously doubt we'd notice any of the others. Oh sh*t, diversity outreach co-ordination services are down today, what are we going to do? In fact, a national strike could potentially be a useful deficit-reduction measure.

They need the (black) sack

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

My noble bin men are already leaving the rubbish because some of the wheelie bin lids are 1 inch ajar or there is a paper clip in the paper & card only blue bin. (I live on a terraced street so the bins are all communal in an alleyway)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Is it right that binmen should be paid £50,000 a year?

I am not too sure what your basing this on as you have not given a source!

this seems about average from th brief google search i did

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/06/09/furious-binmen-set-to-take-strike-action/

Also, a relative of mine was a binman until recently and although he was on fairly good wages (not 50k) he had to do a tremendous amount of hours and also it is 4am starts.

He also told me it takes him over an hour of bathing after work just to get rid of the smell.

you office workers talk a good game though, but im sure you would not last a week!

HOLA4412

My noble bin men are already leaving the rubbish because some of the wheelie bin lids are 1 inch ajar or there is a paper clip in the paper & card only blue bin. (I live on a terraced street so the bins are all communal in an alleyway)

They lack pride and self esteem in their work

HOLA4413

They lack pride and self esteem in their work

They are doing their job based on the current rules and regulations concerning waste disposal.

If this is a problem then complain about the people who are making the rules, not the people doing their job,

which is obviously thankless.

HOLA4414

I agree with the OP. When people talk about cuts to the public sector - they rarely want to get rid of their binmen.

It is a dirty, smelly, vital and occasionally dangerous job that few people would want to do. They deserve a decent living wage and our sincere thanks for helping to maintain our civilisation. For all of their faults - they actually do make the world a better place to live in. And few can honestly claim that.

It may not be particularly skilled - but I'm not convinced that those on wages much much higher (government, bankers and stock market gamblers) are that skilled since they have utterly trashed the economy and bankrupted us all.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

They are doing their job based on the current rules and regulations concerning waste disposal.

If this is a problem then complain about the people who are making the rules, not the people doing their job,

which is obviously thankless.

How English of you

HOLA4418

I'm a professional engineer and I'm sure many binmen get paid more than me! Public sector workers' pay doesn't reflect what they do in many instances - I would disagree with the pay increase. (My uncle is a binman and definitely gets more than me).

So you value yourself more than a binman?

HOLA4419

The number of bin men could be halved.

The only staff needed are one driver & an overseer; the others could be miscreant youth.

I hear one LA even provides an overnight re-perfuming facility for the operatives daisies!

Don't laugh, back in the seventies Basingstoke dustmen didn't have to work in inclement weather, so all is possible in the mad world of local govt.

HOLA4420

I seem to remember, as a kid, binmen actually working for a living. I know that's an alien concept in this day and age, particularly in the public sector, but yeah I remember when people grafted for their pocketfuls of silver.

Binmen used to empty your dustbin (not wheely Euro-bin) with a stoical cheerfulness and a pleasant "Good morning". They used to actually go into your back garden, if that's where your bin was, and carry - yes, carry! - your rubbish to the truck. I remember them offering to take away an old, rusty pram for my mum. They'd also take an extra bag or two if, say, it was just after Christmas, or you had an odd bag of grass cuttings. No moaning; no fines for your dustbin lid not being fully down.

Nowaday, binpeople walk around grimmacing like Stalin's henchmen. They drag your bin a few inches into the road where a machine empties it. They leave any extra bags, and then moan when they get no Christmas tips.

I don't know what they get paid, but there is no justice if these dicks get any more than 9K a year.

HOLA4421

I seem to remember, as a kid, binmen actually working for a living. I know that's an alien concept in this day and age, particularly in the public sector, but yeah I remember when people grafted for their pocketfuls of silver.

Binmen used to empty your dustbin (not wheely Euro-bin) with a stoical cheerfulness and a pleasant "Good morning". They used to actually go into your back garden, if that's where your bin was, and carry - yes, carry! - your rubbish to the truck. I remember them offering to take away an old, rusty pram for my mum. They'd also take an extra bag or two if, say, it was just after Christmas, or you had an odd bag of grass cuttings. No moaning; no fines for your dustbin lid not being fully down.

Nowaday, binpeople walk around grimmacing like Stalin's henchmen. They drag your bin a few inches into the road where a machine empties it. They leave any extra bags, and then moan when they get no Christmas tips.

I don't know what they get paid, but there is no justice if these dicks get any more than 9K a year.

So what has changed, is it the job, is it the rules, or is it that people ave turned into total miseries as more regulation takes over?

HOLA4422

I read an article in the Daily Spite about the Binmen leaving off work in their Aston Martins and top of the Range Mercedes, dripping in gold jewellery quaffing Veuve Cliquot and munching on cavair crisps.

I think it's totally immoral that these scum earn more than £9,000 a year simply for carting my crap away!

HOLA4423

I read an article in the Daily Spite about the Binmen leaving off work in their Aston Martins and top of the Range Mercedes, dripping in gold jewellery quaffing Veuve Cliquot and munching on cavair crisps.

I think it's totally immoral that these scum earn more than £9,000 a year simply for carting my crap away!

Would you do it for 9K?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425