House Price Crash Forum

Social Unrest And Double-Dip Recession

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Very unimpressing.

It's a pitty about Law stepping down, i didn't like it but if he was the best man for the job it would have been better to keep it for later. I guess the dumb mass would have given their superficial knee jerk to that though. I hope he's still working on it behind the scenes

HOLA446
HOLA447

It's a pitty about Law stepping down, i didn't like it but if he was the best man for the job it would have been better to keep it for later. I guess the dumb mass would have given their superficial knee jerk to that though. I hope he's still working on it behind the scenes

I had hoped he would announce his resignation but woudl carry on through the current crisis and stand down in X months.

Folly.

HOLA448

Too much talking about cuts. Talk talk talk. Just do it. Slash everything, as from tomorrow.

hey dude ;)

Yeah i agree lets just stop everything. Unless we get the unemployed to do it lets stop repairing 30 mph roads for a start. We go crazy making them dead flat then install speed bumps to slow people down. WTF is wrong with us.

HOLA449

Woman arguing against 5% govt worker pay cut.

This is starting to make me ill, I really can't take her.

WTF? Redwood agrees?

5% across the board - absolutely fair enough!

( you should see the pay cut my self-employedf other half has suffered!)

why only 5%? 10% is surely bearable by anyone

HOLA4410

hey dude  ;)

Yeah i agree lets just stop everything. Unless we get the unemployed to do it lets stop repairing 30 mph roads for a start. We go crazy making them dead flat then install speed bumps to slow people down. WTF is wrong with us.

Yep. Stop everything. Just stop it. No public spending whatsoever. Everything cancelled. Then, and only then, will people notice.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Libraries: OMG, I have to say, the way we do Libraries right now is dead right.

If you let local taxpayers decide libraries, kids in Hackney will never learn to read.

We've already hammered the kids future employment prospects, lets not further knacker their inheritance.

HOLA4417
Guest The Relaxation Suite

WTF? Redwood agrees?

They cut public sector in Spain at 5% and they're out on the streets striking. Britain needs more like 25%.

HOLA4418

WTF? Redwood agrees?

50% off anything above £30,000 for non front-line staff.

Pay-freeze for others.

HOLA4419

Libraries: OMG, I have to say, the way we do Libraries right now is dead right.

If you let local taxpayers decide libraries, kids in Hackney will never learn to read.

We've already hammered the kids future employment prospects, lets not further knacker their inheritance.

Up until a few years ago all the libraries in my town closed at lunch hour for 2 hours - all the staff had to take lunch at the same time.

That has now changed and, wow, they now open on Sundays for 3 or 4 hours. How do those staff manage it?

HOLA4420

Anyhow, Mason was saying that if the they do the cuts that he is hearing on the grapevine in his view there will be a double-dip and social unrest.

Such a shame that Newsnight does not flag up Mason more often.

I think I had worked that one out without Mason

Any suggestions from the geniuses in our millionaire Cabinet about what they are going to do about that mountain of bad private sector debt that is still sitting on the banks balance sheets. Are there going to be compulsory writedowns, bond holder haircuts etc or do capital holders get a free pass on austerity ? This has got to happen at the same time as all the wider cut backs in public spending or they are heading for real social conflict. In addition there is no guarantee that the banking system will not implode again, Ireland has had 3 rounds of budget cuts and it is still having to find more billions to prop up Anglo-Irish

My worry is that If it is just cuts for the masses and bail outs for the rich then there is going to be some serious shit coming down the road.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

HOLA4421

I fear you are correct however I am waiting until the budget before I pass judgement... what they do with CGT will be my yardstick.

They seriously need to cut public spending, the numbers don't lie. However they certainly must at the same time, allow the spivs, banksters and chancers to take the mother of all hair cuts as well.

:ph34r:

I think I had worked that one out without Mason

Any suggestions from the geniuues in our millionaire Cabinet about what they are going to do about that mountain of bad private sector debt that is still sitting on the banks balance sheets. Are there going to be compulsory writedowns, bond holder haircuts etc or do capital holders get a free pass on austerity ? This has got to happen at the same time as all the wider cut backs in public spending or they are heading for real social conflict. In addition there is no guarantee that the banking system will not implode again, Ireland has had 3 rounds of budgest cuts and it is still having to find more billions to prop up Anglo-Irish

My worry is that If it is just cuts for the masses and bail outs for the rich then there is going to be some serious shit coming down the road.

Edited by Bubble&Squeak

HOLA4422

Anyhow, Mason was saying that if the they do the cuts that he is hearing on the grapevine in his view there will be a double-dip and social unrest.

But if they don't do the cuts the bond markets will lose confidence in our ability to repay our debts, interest rates will spike, we'll be forced into making the cuts anyway and there will be a double-dip and social unrest.

So buggered either way, at least with plan A you get some say over the speed of buggeration.

Thanks Gordon. :(

HOLA4423

or do capital holders get a free pass on austerity ?

that is the quick road to hell.

actually I see no signs that capital holders are going to get a free pass unless the tories try to interfere excessively with the BoE.

however, until the so called safe havens suffer bond market issues the capital holders will assume they have somewhere to hide. This is why it is essential that smaller fish like the UK make the right noises until only the USA and certain mercantilist exporters who can't consumer their own output are left dancing.

Then, the music will stop and the capital holders will have nowhere left to run.

Then, we'll get either negative nominal rate policies of various flavours (i.e. market moderated capital-holder haircuts, market moderated incremental default) or utter collapse.

Either way capital holders lose.

HOLA4424

why only 5%? 10% is surely bearable by anyone

With CPI at ~ 3% and RPI at ~ 5% then with 2 to 3 years of pay freezes you've got 10% in real terms anyway.

TBH most of the private sector have had to put up with pay freezes since 2007/08, why should the public sector expect to be any different?

HOLA4425
buggeration

:lol: word of the week....

The only chance they have is to let everyone to get rogered simultaneously. The wealth divide has been allowed to get dangerously wide, do they have the balls (no not the liebour ******) to deal with it?

tick-tock roll on the budget....

But if they don't do the cuts the bond markets will lose confidence in our ability to repay our debts, interest rates will spike, we'll be forced into making the cuts anyway and there will be a double-dip and social unrest.

So buggered either way, at least with plan A you get some say over the speed of buggeration.

Thanks Gordon. :(