House Price Crash Forum

University Funding Slashed

bogbrush

HOLA441

Looks like Unis are the next place to feel the axe. £533m out of £7.310bn is a hefty number of media studies courses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8427546.stm

Good news for thousands of kids who will no longer load themselves up with debt to gain a "qualification" that doesn't get them into a burger flipping apron.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Looks like Unis are the next place to feel the axe. £533m out of £7.310bn is a hefty number of media studies courses.

Good news for thousands of kids who will no longer load themselves up with debt to gain a "qualification" that doesn't get them into a burger flipping apron.

More klingon speakers, less engineers.

The PTB don't want people to have a clue or be independant.

HOLA443

More klingon speakers, less engineers.

The PTB don't want people to have a clue or be independant.

'Fewer engineers' Injin. Sorry, but it a thread about education. What is the PTB?

Less is used with things/material that cannot be counted or separated into individual parts. You can not count orange juice, sunshine, sand etc.

Fewer is used with discrete things that can be separated or counted. CDs, sausages, cows, people etc can be counted. By far the most common mistake is to use 'less' when 'fewer' is needed.

Less/Fewer test.

http://www.bristol.a...ial/page_18.htm

HOLA444

Think Britain graduated more psychologists last year than all engineering disciplines combined.

Meanwhile China graduated more engineers last year than all non-engineering degrees combined!

One country is building dams, nuclear power plants, ports, electric railroads, bridges, factories, steel mills etc..

One country is offering psychological services for people who've recently lost their jobs. Guess which one is which?

HOLA445
HOLA446

Won't they just be allowed to charge higher tuition fees and just ramp up the generating revenue parts of the org. Most uni's have significant revenue generating capacity.

Surely it's the FE colleges which are most effected by so-called education spending cuts. OR atleast have been of late.

HOLA447
The government also wants to see more degrees completed over two years rather than three as a way of easing the funding crisis and to broaden education to a wider range of students.

This would tend to appeal to those doing more vocational subjects such as engineering and law.

Two year degrees in engineering and law? What's that, New B.Eng == Old OND ?

HOLA448

Two year degrees in engineering and law? What's that, New B.Eng == Old OND ?

To be fair, I often found myslef with far too much time on my hands during my physics degree; in moments of inebriated lucidity I was convinced that the degree could be done over 2 years (physics, kings college london)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Reported on the wireless as wanting more "vocational degrees".

So having taken a bunch of training colleges and labeled them "universities", now they're all to be leveled down to training colleges. Now there's a plan! Anyone for Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times"?

Think back to 1997; you really could not have made this up, could you?

We have had some bad governments, and they've all done some daft things, but I don't think there's ever been one which has been to full of nothing as this.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Reported on the wireless as wanting more "vocational degrees".

So having taken a bunch of training colleges and labeled them "universities", now they're all to be leveled down to training colleges. Now there's a plan! Anyone for Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times"?

It was part of the everyone's a winner/deferred success bullshet.

Or if you are even more cynical: Politicians pulling up the quality drawbridge after themselves.

HOLA4417

Think Britain graduated more psychologists last year than all engineering disciplines combined.

Meanwhile China graduated more engineers last year than all non-engineering degrees combined!

One country is building dams, nuclear power plants, ports, electric railroads, bridges, factories, steel mills etc..

One country is offering psychological services for people who've recently lost their jobs. Guess which one is which?

Very interesting if true. Can you let us have the sources for your data?

HOLA4418

I have been wondering recently that we were getting to the point where only the wealthy could afford to learn a trade (carpenter, electrician, plumber), and the working classes were forced into degrees in sweet FA at the local 'university', headed for basic admin jobs without any craft (probably government jobs?)

This came about as my partner's children have full financial backing from the grandparents to go to any University they want, they have chosen not to, one wants to be a butcher, the other is undecided so is waiting.

HOLA4419

It was part of the everyone's a winner/deferred success bullshet.

Or if you are even more cynical: Politicians pulling up the quality drawbridge after themselves.

Heh. Isn't it enough to price them out?

I have the impression some universities may be ignoring them, to a certain extent. My nephew has just started a maths degree at Cambridge, and I'm looking forward to comparing notes with him.

So far, we've compared notes over the entrance exams: he showed me some examples, and they looked comparable to what I took 30 years ago. The big difference: they've moved to the summer (after A-levels) and candidates get a week's course in Cambridge before taking them. Looks to me like a jolly good effort to level the playing field between those who have had special tuition and those who just went to bog-standard comprehensives (or whatever they're called these days).

Perhaps the system will rewind to a point of being "Ivy League" (those who can afford the luxury of maintaining themselves as traditional academia and have the prestige to stand up to bullying) and a bunch of training colleges.

HOLA4420

Second blow to universities:

University spin-off activity collapses

The number of cutting edge British technology companies being created from universities has collapsed in the last year and many that have formed have had to turn to foreign investors, research by Your Business has found.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/6860435/University-spin-off-activity-collapses.html

Edited by Blackholeshine

HOLA4421

It's very cheap to teach media studies and very expensive to teach chemistry. Both bring in the same in tuition fees. Do the maths.

On this the maths has been done. Science and engineering departments get significantly more from HEFCE block grants

than humanities. The tuition fees are only a small part of the true cost of education.

HOLA4422

Second blow to universities:

University spin-off activity collapses

Wouldn't necessarily read that as a blow to unis as such. Could be would-be entrepreneurs hanging on to their academic jobs where those are seen as more secure than starting a business.

Does it count as spin-off if they lose those jobs then set up?

HOLA4423

The country doesn’t need more engineers or scientists we have too many as it is. Look at the wages paid for them, little over a normal office job so there is no shortage.

Most people don’t use university level education once they leave. Upto A-Levels perhaps is what most people will ever really use. Have better A-Level teaching rather than more and more and more kids going to university.

HOLA4424
Guest tbatst2000

On this the maths has been done. Science and engineering departments get significantly more from HEFCE block grants

than humanities. The tuition fees are only a small part of the true cost of education.

Also, whilst the students pay the same across all courses, the per-capita funding given to the departments is more for science & engineering. Whether it's enough to cover the difference of the cost of providing the course and whether or not universities consider media-studies and the like a more profitable place to be is another question. It's also worth remembering that the UK has a lot of foreign students studying science and engineering who pay full fees which certainly do cover the cost.

HOLA4425