House Price Crash Forum

So Where Are All The High Paying Jobs

Goat

HOLA441
Just out of interest, how many women are earning 100K + a year?

You only ever hear men brag about in on HPC.

Distribution of total income before and after tax by gender, 2006-07

55,000 Females between 100K-150K in 2006-7

238,000 Males

And 642,000 on over 100K

Considering there are 15 Million full time jobs in the UK about 4% of people are over 100K :blink:

Or the 96th percentile.

Edited by Three Pint Princess 2

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Hi Tom how are you? Nice to see you sticking up for the engineers!

HR stands for Human Resources - its basicaly the personnel department. I think the 100k quoted is way off the mark though the average HR manager in a big company is only on around £50k

Hey Neil, good to hear from you! Things are going ok - I'm through to second round interviews with a big design company in Edinburgh - it'd be ideal if I got it so fingers crossed!! It may be an applications role, so more customer facing and travel - maybe a good route into management. Still, I can only dream of a high salary :D You?

Yeah I know what HR is all about - I just don't think they're overly needed. At one company I know of they seemed to have more say in who was hired than senior engineers, which I thought was ridiculous! We don't have them here and things are running just fine. No offence to anybody in HR, but I think it's a bit of a non-job.

Edited by thomasross20

HOLA443
HOLA444

I'm in Oil and Gas contracting.

Typical rates seem to be high ie £400 pd at the low end to £1300 at the higher end but its a very precarious lifestyle and you are invariably away from 'home', the silver lining being its tax free if you play it right.

HOLA445
I do have to say though, it's funny watching all the people with high paying jobs lose them because now that money is tight, the top level management have to decide who is actually worth their wage.

And the higher the wage, the more people get into debt it seems.

A very good point, many people spend according to their incomes not their needs

I know many people who made high incomes and managed to spend it all on servicing their interest and loan repayments with only limited savings

HOLA446
HOLA447
I'm in Oil and Gas contracting.

Typical rates seem to be high ie £400 pd at the low end to £1300 at the higher end but its a very precarious lifestyle and you are invariably away from 'home', the silver lining being its tax free if you play it right.

What role? Drilling?

I know some who would hate the job as you're away from home for so long and it can be dangerous, but that sort of money is unbelievable and I often wonder if I should try to get into it.

HOLA448
Hi Tom how are you? Nice to see you sticking up for the engineers!

HR stands for Human Resources - its basicaly the personnel department. I think the 100k quoted is way off the mark though the average HR manager in a big company is only on around £50k

My heart bleads purple piss in sympathy for them, I earn less than half that as a repair tech in the oil industry, where may I add about 20% of all jobs have gone, so just to put the record straight if you have a first in engineering and want to work 12 hours a day for 5 weeks then get 3 weeks off, on rotation, you will be on about 40K after 5 years maybee 60K the places you will work will be horrid, if it takes an 18 hour day to get a job done, thats how long you work. Compare that to the harsh life in HR for 50K

HOLA449
Judging from postings on other threads jobs paying £100,000+ in London are ten a penny but I'm curious how easy they actually are to find. The areas I know you can make this sort of money are:

IT consultancy.

Law/accountancy (partner level)

Banking/finance

Media/advertising.

Certain sales jobs.

Oil/gas industry.

Any other areas I've missed?

How common are these £100,000+ earners? I know a reasonable number of people who earn that sort of money but they do seem to be the exception.

Just curious, if I can find the answer maybe I'll be able to afford a house after all.

Many small business owners have historically made £100k or more per year in salaries and divies in London

The guy who owned a few dry cleaners, the bloke with 2/3 pubs or restaurants and a nightclub, a few shops etc.

Then there are the builders, estate agents, recruitment consultants and small time property developers

However, generally, I would think that many of these people are doing less well now :(

HOLA4410
My heart bleads purple piss in sympathy for them, I earn less than half that as a repair tech in the oil industry, where may I add about 20% of all jobs have gone, so just to put the record straight if you have a first in engineering and want to work 12 hours a day for 5 weeks then get 3 weeks off, on rotation, you will be on about 40K after 5 years maybee 60K the places you will work will be horrid, if it takes an 18 hour day to get a job done, thats how long you work. Compare that to the harsh life in HR for 50K

Crikey, that's a bit grim.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Just out of interest, how many women are earning 100K + a year?

As a follow-up, I'd just like to mention to any such women here on HPC that I am skilled in changing fuses and moving spiders from inside to outside, and there's almost nothing I won't put up with in the interests of keeping the peace. No reason, just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by JJJ

HOLA4415

completely off topic but i absolutely adore those dogs :D

HOLA4416
Hope so..! :D

All this talk of £100k jobs - it just seems an unreal figure to me!

HR - I don't know what use HR is AT ALL.

It all depends, the recruitment part can be very important.

Lots of people just assume they can carry out job interviews - until people notice they're hiring more duffers than the professional interviewer would. Its a common failing in the modern private sector, people don't seem to notice that the cost of those sorts of mistakes mounts up.

Then again usually they refuse to admit they made the hiring mistake and find some way of blaming it on somebody else. It takes a strong boss to overcome their own anti-HR view and tell their managers they are not allowed to repeatedly hide their mistakes by firing. Too often extensive 'firing' is seen as an indicator of strong management as opposed to being correctly viewed as a sign of ineptitude.

And no I'm not in HR, just someone who's observed the do it yourself process over many years.

OTOH other areas of HR........

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Typical example would be someone working in HR in a bank with 10+ years of experience

Back before Mrs Neverland I dated several women who worked in banks with those kind of jobs (Was it a power thing, who knows? :huh: )

Basically they appeared to get paid an awful lot more than their job would appear to get in other industries

(I'm sure this also applied to their male colleagues)

What tended to happen is that they had been with the company since a young age and had been awarded a series of pay/title increases when business at the bank was good, usually because they were in with one of the bosses

Then suddenly the bank would hit a rough few years, need to cut some costs, and they would chop off a few layers of management/mentor would get sacked/replaced by someone younger and cheaper/outsourced to India

Everyone tends to get promoted to one level above their actual level of usefulness I guess...

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
£100k in the city is not massively big wage. In the top flight firms of all the major "professions" (i.e. accountants, lawyers, management consultants, bankers) you hit it at about 30 years old (i.e. just pre-partner/principal)

The big ceiling is at about £150k Outside the banks you pretty much need to be a partner to top that and its not THAT common even in the banks.

That sucks, as a businessman I have no ceiling and can conceive making more than 150k in future. And at the very minimum I expect to make a living wage without fear of losing a job as I'm my own boss.

Sucks to be an average guy ;)

HOLA4422
That sucks, as a businessman I have no ceiling and can conceive making more than 150k in future. And at the very minimum I expect to make a living wage without fear of losing a job as I'm my own boss.

Sucks to be an average guy ;)

To be honest thats only fair enough to take the risks a businessman takes

The banker risks little but a fat redundancy package

HOLA4423
Back before Mrs Neverland I dated several women who worked in banks with those kind of jobs (Was it a power thing, who knows? :huh: )

Basically they appeared to get paid an awful lot more than their job would appear to get in other industries

(I'm sure this also applied to their male colleagues)

What tended to happen is that they had been with the company since a young age and had been awarded a series of pay/title increases when business at the bank was good, usually because they were in with one of the bosses

Then suddenly the bank would hit a rough few years, need to cut some costs, and they would chop off a few layers of management/mentor would get sacked/replaced by someone younger and cheaper/outsourced to India

Everyone tends to get promoted to one level above their actual level of usefulness I guess...

The ones in my netball team all change banks every few years.

HOLA4424

May have been my thread from earlier that prompted this.

I'm up there. It ain't that hard, but it's come at a cost. I've been in hospital with stress and anxiety 6 times so far this year and counting! Just came back from the Drs ten minutes ago who wants me to up the dose on the meds.

Sigh :(

HOLA4425