House Price Crash Forum

So Where Are All The High Paying Jobs

Goat

HOLA441

Judging from postings on other threads jobs paying £100,000+ in London are ten a penny but I'm curious how easy they actually are to find. The areas I know you can make this sort of money are:

IT consultancy.

Law/accountancy (partner level)

Banking/finance

Media/advertising.

Certain sales jobs.

Oil/gas industry.

Any other areas I've missed?

How common are these £100,000+ earners? I know a reasonable number of people who earn that sort of money but they do seem to be the exception.

Just curious, if I can find the answer maybe I'll be able to afford a house after all.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Judging from postings on other threads jobs paying £100,000+ in London are ten a penny but I'm curious how easy they actually are to find. The areas I know you can make this sort of money are:

IT consultancy.

Banking/finance

Media/advertising.

Certain sales jobs.

Oil/gas industry.

How common are these £100,000+ earners? I know a reasonable number of people who earn that sort of money but they do seem to be the exception.

Just curious, if I can find the answer maybe I'll be able to afford a house after all.

Not so many in in the media I'm afraid. TV specifically only senior management and very busy craft freelancers can expect to earn that kind of dosh. Radio ? unless you're talent forget about it. Print, real terms wage deflation for a good few years now. Don't know about advertising.

HOLA444

IT Contractors are probably the most common.

100k is around £450/day (220 days/year), but doesn't include pension, costs etc.

and you need to stay in work all year.

This was easy in the boom, but probably getting harder.

Very few banks pay general workers that sort of money. Front office and high management, but not the

bulk in Finance, Back Office and IT who normally make 50-80k

I didn't think accountants or lawyers got paid much till very high up.

HOLA445

I work in the construction industy in Manchester (for one of the major players involved on the metolink extensions) and most of the senior guys are earning this kind of money engineers, project leaders, designers and commercial/financial managers, earning a £100k+ a year is not that exceptional in a large company, once you have the right experience on your cv its not difficult to move up the salary scale.

If its any consulation they are having to work crazy hours, attend meetings all over the country and look like the living dead but heh they're on a six figure salary.

HOLA446

I always thought it was mainly finance & IT consultancy that paid those sort of wages.

Oil & gas possibly - I was tempted to take an MSc in petroleum engineering to get my foot in the door but I'm ok as I am just now. Plus an ex director of Shell let me know that they're basically tossers and that 99.9% of hires there are all from Oxford and the like.

Will the day ever come where house prices come down and engineers get paid a decent wage? I'm talking about real engineering - silicon design, nuclear operators, mechanical, civil etc.

HOLA447
I work in the construction industy in Manchester (for one of the major players involved on the metolink extensions) and most of the senior guys are earning this kind of money engineers, project leaders, designers and commercial/financial managers, earning a £100k+ a year is not that exceptional in a large company, once you have the right experience on your cv its not difficult to move up the salary scale.

If its any consulation they are having to work crazy hours, attend meetings all over the country and look like the living dead but heh they're on a six figure salary.

Ah, that's the thing... I'd rather be on lower money and have less stress on my head!

HOLA448
I didn't think accountants or lawyers got paid much till very high up.

£100,000+ in accountancy is partner level only (maybe with a few exceptions). Not so sure about law but I'd guess mostly the same except perhaps in certain areas.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
IT consultancy.

Banking/finance

Media/advertising.

Oil/gas industry.

You seem to missing the point that you have to actually be able to do those occupations to earn the salaries. So I suggest that you go and spend 4 - 6 years studying and getting qualifications and then another 5+ years of on the job experience and then you might be in with a chance if you cut the mustard. But by that time houses in london will by 60% of their value today so you will be able to afford a house.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
£100,000+ in accountancy is partner level only (maybe with a few exceptions). Not so sure about law but I'd guess mostly the same except perhaps in certain areas.

£100k in the city is not massively big wage. In the top flight firms of all the major "professions" (i.e. accountants, lawyers, management consultants, bankers) you hit it at about 30 years old (i.e. just pre-partner/principal)

The big ceiling is at about £150k Outside the banks you pretty much need to be a partner to top that and its not THAT common even in the banks.

HOLA4416

IT consultancy.

Banking/finance

Media/advertising.

Certain sales jobs.

Oil/gas industry.

Yeah, the Public Sector vacancies section of the Grauniad [sic]

HOLA4417

Technology sales. If you work for a decent US company most of the reasonable sales people with 2+ years experience will be coming in around £100K.

Some of this will be commission mind, so say £65 basic, £5K car and £30K commission. Plus there will be additional benefits, such as stock, medical insurance, pension payments etc on top.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
You seem to missing the point that you have to actually be able to do those occupations to earn the salaries. So I suggest that you go and spend 4 - 6 years studying and getting qualifications and then another 5+ years of on the job experience and then you might be in with a chance if you cut the mustard.

One step ahead of you already.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Hope so..! :D

All this talk of £100k jobs - it just seems an unreal figure to me!

HR - I don't know what use HR is AT ALL.

Hi Tom how are you? Nice to see you sticking up for the engineers!

HR stands for Human Resources - its basicaly the personnel department. I think the 100k quoted is way off the mark though the average HR manager in a big company is only on around £50k

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Not in the big 4 it isn't. In tax, many senior managers and directors also earn >£100k, esp. in the South East.

HOLA4425

I do have to say though, it's funny watching all the people with high paying jobs lose them because now that money is tight, the top level management have to decide who is actually worth their wage.

And the higher the wage, the more people get into debt it seems.