House Price Crash Forum

Overheard: Leg Of Lamb In Norway £55

HOLA441

Is this true?

PS anyone else on 3 Mobile Broadband keep getting cut off today or is it my dongle?

EDIT no not my dongle nor 3's fault, it's the very thin pound store USB extension cable with a short i think, I've replaced it with a Poundland thick blue cable wire and it's fine now, unfortunately the thick blue wire one is old stock and Poundland don't sell them any more

Edited by loginandtonic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Is this true?

PS anyone else on 3 Mobile Broadband keep getting cut off today or is it my dongle?

It certainly is an expensive place. Salmon should be easy to come by though, they grow it by the bucket load. Makes you grateful you live in a place that can actually grow crops easily, I would imagine the climate there makes it quite tricky for a lot of stuff.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Seems reasonable. But you should have looked for a leg of reindeer instead.

Up there people seem to have a better grasp of reality, spending more on food and less on tat - mind you the exchange rate isn't helping either.

HOLA449
Seems reasonable. But you should have looked for a leg of reindeer instead.

Up there people seem to have a better grasp of reality, spending more on food and less on tat - mind you the exchange rate isn't helping either.

Yep here in the UK everyone complains when the price of milk goes up 2p but will happily go along to their local supermarket to spend £40 on the latest Playstation (or whatever games thingy is good now) and the latest book from that Jordan woman.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Blimey, how much does your dongle weigh?

:lol:

Long time since my dongle would do 12 adults [sigh]

i never even got the chance, i was never a medical student

Quite possibly - Norway has one of the highest Cost of Living rates in world. 1/2 pint of beer is aorund 8 quid.

thx neil + all

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Yep here in the UK everyone complains when the price of milk goes up 2p but will happily go along to their local supermarket to spend £40 on the latest Playstation (or whatever games thingy is good now)...

Funny you should mention that. I was in Game - just looking! - yesterday. The guy in front of me was walking out with his girlfriend and their young baby. She looked about 16, he looked about 18. In other words, a typical young British couple with child who will need the support of my taxes for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, once outside the shop she starts screaming at him when he shows her the game he's just bought: "I can't believe you just wasted forty quid on that! For fooks sake!"

And off they wandered, baby in tow.

Bless them. The future of our fine nation.

Nomadd

HOLA4414
Is this true?

Are you sure it was not still attached to the rest of the sheep?

HOLA4415
Funny you should mention that. I was in Game - just looking! - yesterday. The guy in front of me was walking out with his girlfriend and their young baby. She looked about 16, he looked about 18. In other words, a typical young British couple with child who will need the support of my taxes for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, once outside the shop she starts screaming at him when he shows her the game he's just bought: "I can't believe you just wasted forty quid on that! For fooks sake!"

And off they wandered, baby in tow.

Bless them. The future of our fine nation.

Nomadd

He'd probably bought something decent like Call of Duty 4 for his 'proper Playstation 3 console', and she thought he was going to buy something for her rubbish toybox Wii.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you popularise video games to young women and families. Until Nintendo unveiled that piece of tat, video gaming was one of the few pursuits a man could take pleasure in without the interference of women. Now nowhere is sacred for us men. They're in pubs, doing our sports, playing our games etc. A man needs his time out for crying out loud! I feel genuinely sorry for the poor chap.

Edited by General Congreve

HOLA4416
Quite possibly - Norway has one of the highest Cost of Living rates in world. 1/2 pint of beer is aorund 8 quid.

Quoting individual prices isn't very helpful though. It can depend very much on how and where you buy that beer. I have no particular experience of Norway but bar prices in Sweden are very expensive also, however the offies are about the same price as here but without the special offers. So, basically, drinking at home there is about the same price as it is here.

As someone has already pointed out, the size of the leg of lamb is important and even then it proves very little because other meat may be dead cheap. It's expense may be due to it being rarely in demand, for instance.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
He'd probably bought something decent like Call of Duty 4 for his 'proper Playstation 3 console', and she thought he was going to buy something for her rubbish toybox Wii.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you popularise video games to young women and families. Until Nintendo unveiled that piece of tat, video gaming was one of the few pursuits a man could take pleasure in without the interference of women. Now nowhere is sacred for us men. They're in pubs, doing our sports, playing our games etc. A man needs his time out for crying out loud! I feel genuinely sorry for the poor chap.

I'm still waiting for them to put chairs in a corner of Game so chaps can browse without us ladies stood there with the shop attendants coming up and asking if I need any help, like I'm a shoplifter or something. They have chairs in ladies clothes shops, and Lakeland even have newspapers for the chaps to read... just a designated standing area would be an improvement.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
It certainly is an expensive place. Salmon should be easy to come by though, they grow it by the bucket load. Makes you grateful you live in a place that can actually grow crops easily, I would imagine the climate there makes it quite tricky for a lot of stuff.

The west coast is wet and mild and not dissimilar from much of Britain. Inland is a different story.

HOLA4421

I am working in Stavanger and can confirm prices are high and can be anywhere from 50% to double to what we pay ... steak dinner and glass of beer/wine can be £25 to £30.

I believe the Norwegians minimum wage is double to ours, so drinking in the quayside bars will set you back around £8 for 0.4l beer (~2/3rds pint). The Noggins are pretty smashed from drinking at home before they come out and everyone stacks up on duty free in the airport before passing through customs. I have got into the habit of having a few large G&Ts before heading out.

I like it and thinking of moving there as it doesn't seem to be having any of the financial problems the UK has and I'll may spend a few years there untill we finally have property back to reasonable levels. Not encountered the long nights, winter snows or the heavy rains yet, so will make my mind up in January.

Edited by Let-them-Burn

HOLA4422
Quoting individual prices isn't very helpful though. It can depend very much on how and where you buy that beer. I have no particular experience of Norway but bar prices in Sweden are very expensive also, however the offies are about the same price as here but without the special offers. So, basically, drinking at home there is about the same price as it is here.

As someone has already pointed out, the size of the leg of lamb is important and even then it proves very little because other meat may be dead cheap. It's expense may be due to it being rarely in demand, for instance.

1/2 pint of beer was just an example: I know Norway very well, Oslo is one of my favourite cities in Europe but its VERY expensive for everything.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I went to Bergen in 2000 to visit my housemate from university.

Things were very exspensive i remember a pint being £4.50. Norweigens drink at home until late then go into town clubbing at around mdnight so that by that time they are well gone.

When I was in China seven years ago a Norweigen friend would shout us all to dinner every night because he thought it was well cheap (well it is if your not on a local wage).

HOLA4425
I am working in Stavanger and can confirm prices are high and can be anywhere from 50% to double to what we pay ... steak dinner and glass of beer/wine can be £25 to £30.

I believe the Norwegians minimum wage is double to ours, so drinking in the quayside bars will set you back around £8 for 0.4l beer (~2/3rds pint). The Noggins are pretty smashed from drinking at home before they come out and everyone stacks up on duty free in the airport before passing through customs. I have got into the habit of having a few large G&Ts before heading out.

I like it and thinking of moving there as it doesn't seem to be having any of the financial problems the UK has and I'll may spend a few years there untill we finally have property back to reasonable levels. Not encountered the long nights, winter snows or the heavy rains yet, so will make my mind up in January.

thx for posting, best of luck.

fwiw i overheard lady from local church in a shop, she said she'd spent £275 in 5 or 6 days there on groceries, sounded like she'd gone self-catering