Hobby Suggestions Please

Guest X-QUORK

HOLA441
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Damn, and I went through the thread as well before I posted. Just goes to show you see what you want to see.

Geocaching wouldn't be top of my list of hobbies I have to say, seems a bit pointless but not to mention too much chance the chavs run off with the tupperware containers out of spite. Each to their own I guess, when you start to think about other hobbies though, it puts things into perspective.

HOLA444

How about the Pylon Appreciation Society.

http://www.pylons.org/

It's simple: the Pylon Appreciation Society is a club for people who appreciate electricity pylons. Enthusiasts range from primary school children to retired engineers and include anyone who is interested or inspired by transmission towers.

As well as the wealth of information available through this site, if you choose to become a member there are other benefits including the field guide (pictured, released in installments), messageboard, and other resources.

You will get a welcome pack with photo card, a "parts of the pylon" print, badge, and mini cards.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest X-QUORK
There are some really old small pylons in a field near Hertford, I could try and get some pictures if you wanted.

You're trying to get me drinking heavily again aren't you?

HOLA448
You're trying to get me drinking heavily again aren't you?

I recently spent a long weekend near a town called Narbonne in the Dept called the Aude

I was staying in a village only 7 kms from Narbonne Plage or beach on the Med with daily temps at over 30c

Sounds great but the local people there are really poor this place is one of the high unemployment black spots in France

This is were the wine Corbiéres is made so every night in the village the locals put outside there house a table and every body drinks the local Co_Op wine it is cheaper than bottled water

I think that alcohol and poverty do tend to go together France is different but you have to know your own limits

Alcohol is part of the French way of life

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Tempting, but I'll give that one a miss.

If you don't like pylons, how about glass and porcelain insulators? There are a number of fascinating insulator appreciation pages on the web. See http://www.insulators.info/ and http://glassian.org/insulator.html for example.

Look at this beauty:

gnw_medpurp.jpg

or this one:

3035-aqu.jpg

Be careful where you sit down!

Edit: here's another site: http://www.natsulators.com/ - excellent gallery.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
If you don't like pylons, how about glass and porcelain insulators? There are a number of fascinating insulator appreciation pages on the web. See http://www.insulators.info/ and http://glassian.org/insulator.html for example.

Look at this beauty:

gnw_medpurp.jpg

or this one:

3035-aqu.jpg

Be careful where you sit down!

Edit: here's another site: http://www.natsulators.com/ - excellent gallery.

Gotta be honest that's something I could really get into.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I'd have chosen cold climes. There's something about trying to keep warm, insulating stuff, finding fuel etc which I love. Snow, mountains, pines, forests, lakes, fishing, ice, blowing a deer's head clean off . . . good stuff!

The only chance I get now to experience cold climes it a mates place round the corner. He's got air con.

We heat with wood only. Great way to heat a house. Haven't paid a dime for heat in five years.

HOLA4416

How about furniture restoration X-Quork?

Try it once and see how you fair. Buy some good quality 2nd hand pine in need of TLC and strip tp bare wood.

The pine top/handle and painted body look (say in a nice cream) is very in and is costly at the retailers.

You can even make money out of this one ;)

I could give you some tips and even post some pics up for you.

HOLA4417
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
As the title says, am giving up the booze, hopefully forever, and I think I need to find a hobby to keep myself busy.

I'm a 40 year old chap with a wife and little boy (3 years old), and I live in the middle of the country miles from the sea. Physically, a bit unfit but not beyond hope and I quite enjoy the outdoors.

Hobby suggestions would be most appreciated.

What about wood sculpture, collect some interesting pieces of wood on your walks and make them into something beautiful with both your hands. ;)

HOLA4420
As the title says, am giving up the booze, hopefully forever, and I think I need to find a hobby to keep myself busy.

I'm a 40 year old chap with a wife and little boy (3 years old), and I live in the middle of the country miles from the sea. Physically, a bit unfit but not beyond hope and I quite enjoy the outdoors.

Hobby suggestions would be most appreciated.

Can't read through the whole thing so how about home-brewing and wine making. You won't be drinking it so you could progress to distilling.

When you finished your stint in jail, having a couple of drinks may seem appealing again.

p-o-p

HOLA4421
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Nice one Nickleodeon. Model Railways is a nice white, middle class, middle to elderly aged hobby.

It is a far more technical and absorbing hobby than the comic MSM make out. Electronics, engineering, metalwork, craft and modelling, etc. Most people started with a Hornby OO set in their early teens. I had quite a large layout in my youth, moved to N gauge (very small) in my 30's and recently changed again to G scale (very big, G=Garden scale) as I get older and can't bend down much anymore. If you have a decent garden, you get to play trains while your missus gets to potter around the garden. Invite some mates and their wives over and you can barby and drink while playing trains.

http://www.gscalemad.co.uk/ Best Forum for UK G Scale, but G scale trains are very expensive (£300+ for a locomotive, £50+ plus for wagons, power starts at £200 and you can spend £1000 on the latest digital controls). Perparing the garden of trains encouraged me to grow vegetables in a small plot but unfortunately I have rampaging weeds everywhere else <_<

I also ride a motorbike and am a member of a large bike club. The world of biking is huge and varied from Mod revivalists on Scooters to local booze'n'bike clubs, historical makes (VJMC, Triumph, Norton, etc), elitist like BMW, Pan European, Goldwing and Harley clubs to the had core nutters in Outlaw clubs. You can just get on a bike and ride alone B)

Lastly, I used to be a reenactor. English Civil War Pikeman and then Musketeer and War of the Roses. You really do feel invincible wearing steel plate armour and it encourages quite rough play. I have recently started to read Skirmish again, it is the UK reenactment magazine. I was looking for a Greek/Persian group. I fancy being a Persian Immortal and kicking some Greek butt (cue jokes) as Thermopylae is a lie that has been retold so many times no one questions it anymore. Persians were the good guys, Greeks were nasty mysoginistic, slave owning heathens. Persians were liberal, tolerant, equitable and fair.

You could be a Roman, a Viking, a Musketeer, one of Sharpes Rifle, a WW1 Tommy, a WW2 German Stormtrooper and even a Starwars Stormtrooper.

Archived