House Price Crash Forum

Hobby Suggestions Please

Guest X-QUORK

HOLA441
Guest มร หล&#3
Sounds interesting...have you had a go? How much is woodland per acre?

Why bother buying it? Just find some to look after.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest anorthosite

Subscribe to something like lovefilm and watch every episode of Star Trek ever made.

I'm told it takes about 23 days of non-stop watching, including the films.

HOLA443

You have to be a bit careful about that - what you might think of as looking after (eg clearing away deadwood) the woodland trust might have you in court for.

HOLA444
Guest มร หล&#3
You have to be a bit careful about that - what you might think of as looking after (eg clearing away deadwood) the woodland trust might have you in court for.

Join a conservation society where everyone goes out together to fix trees and stuff.

HOLA445
Join a conservation society where everyone goes out together to fix trees and stuff.

Ah, I see what you mean. Near my parents village all the london second homers have been stripping the local woodland to feed their 'environmental friendly' woodburning stoves - has caused no end of problems.

HOLA446
Guest Skinty
Sounds interesting...have you had a go? How much is woodland per acre?

HPC has the occassional thread about buying woodland. Unfortunately the search function doesn't seem to work for me anymore, not sure why. But google came up with this (which includes many links)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=69992

There's loads of fun to be had cutting down trees (or coppicing them rather) and burning it for heat, cooking and water. A live fire is way better than TV in my opinion.

I've read that you have to be careful not to buy land that has a load of conditions attached to it by the previous owners. The good thing about buying land is that it will grow in value, quite literally because of the trees growing to give you more wood to sell or burn. Combine this with carpentry and you have a hobby that will allow you to make as much stuff as you want.

I would love to own my own woods.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Skinty
You'll have to help me out - my schoolboy latin is a bit rusty...

You are a fool to like the sounds of goats? :unsure:

Q

I think you meant to ask apr400.

I no speakee latin. Comprende?

HOLA449
You'll have to help me out - my schoolboy latin is a bit rusty...

You are a fool to like the sounds of goats? :unsure:

Q

"You can't bleat a goat pun"

(lit. you are not able to bleat a goat related playful expression)

HOLA4410
"You can't bleat a goat pun"

(lit. you are not able to bleat a goat related playful expression)

Excuse the cynic it me but I was expecting it to be some form of abuse (it is HPC after all).

I am Jack's total sense of surprise that it is an actual pun.

:lol:

Heh heh...

Q

HOLA4411

A friend has been given a couple of acrs to look after.He does coppicing (whatever that is) but gets lots of wood for his stove.He currently estimates that he has a 12 year supply.Bearing in mind it is the only heating in his house that makes it quite worthwhile too.

HOLA4412
A friend has been given a couple of acrs to look after.He does coppicing (whatever that is) but gets lots of wood for his stove.He currently estimates that he has a 12 year supply.Bearing in mind it is the only heating in his house that makes it quite worthwhile too.

coppicing is where you cut a tree down and then when new shoots come from the stump you cut them down and so on, so that you end up with a fast growing supply of twigs from a tree that looks more like a bush. I assume it has to be a certain type of tree so that it does actually grow back when you cut it down, but I'm not sure. I knew that geography lesson would come in useful one day!

:D

HOLA4413
Guest มร หล&#3

Here's my current read, turning this into a serious occupation.

http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/ditccom20032_en.pdf

HOLA4414
Guest Skinty
coppicing is where you cut a tree down and then when new shoots come from the stump you cut them down and so on, so that you end up with a fast growing supply of twigs from a tree that looks more like a bush. I assume it has to be a certain type of tree so that it does actually grow back when you cut it down, but I'm not sure. I knew that geography lesson would come in useful one day!

As far as I can remember (never having done this myself), it doesn't have to be a certain type of tree but different trees have different characteristics. Some types of wood are denser and will provide more energy but take longer to grow. The other issue will be rotation time; i.e. how long it takes for the tree to grow back again so that once you have coppiced your entire woods you can start at the beginning again.

We had a eucalyptus tree cut down in my parent's garden as it grew to twice the height of the house. A few years later a large sapling had grown from the massive root system that we had to cut down again.

HOLA4415
As far as I can remember (never having done this myself), it doesn't have to be a certain type of tree but different trees have different characteristics. Some types of wood are denser and will provide more energy but take longer to grow. The other issue will be rotation time; i.e. how long it takes for the tree to grow back again so that once you have coppiced your entire woods you can start at the beginning again.

We had a eucalyptus tree cut down in my parent's garden as it grew to twice the height of the house. A few years later a large sapling had grown from the massive root system that we had to cut down again.

Interesting. Presumably there is some magic to it - we had a reasonably fresh tree stump in our garden when we moved in. A few years later it had rotted away.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest redwine

wood heating is hard work you have to fell a tree then re-cut it into small pieces

dry the wood so you have to have lots of space free it normaly takes a year to dry out a 120 year pine tree

when it comes to heating a home with a stove another problem is that wood burns fast so you have to keep going out side to bring in more wood to keep the stove burning its also very messy

not much fun when its minus 15 outside with a foot of snow outside your front door

this is a very common form of heating where i live

HOLA4418
Guest มร หล&#3
wood heating is hard work you have to fell a tree then re-cut it into small pieces

dry the wood so you have to have lots of space free it normaly takes a year to dry out a 120 year pine tree

when it comes to heating a home with a stove another problem is that wood burns fast so you have to keep going out side to bring in more wood to keep the stove burning its also very messy

not much fun when its minus 15 outside with a foot of snow outside your front door

Whaddaya mean "not much fun"?

Sounds great!

HOLA4419
Guest anorthosite
Whaddaya mean "not much fun"?

Sounds great!

Damn right, that's exactly the lifestyle I'm aiming for!

HOLA4420
Guest มร หล&#3
Damn right, that's exactly the lifestyle I'm aiming for!

I'd have chosen cold climes. There's something about trying to keep warm, insulating stuff, finding fuel etc which I love. Snow, mountains, pines, forests, lakes, fishing, ice, blowing a deer's head clean off . . . good stuff!

The only chance I get now to experience cold climes it a mates place round the corner. He's got air con.

HOLA4421

RC gliders has already been mentioned, but I'll mention it again :)

I managed to get in a couple of years of this on the moors south of Manchester, walking up a hill in p***-poor weather, then when you get to the top you face into the gale and try to keep a bucking bronco of a glider under control. Glorious fun!

Then my career took me into city centres and well, I've never got back into it :(

I notice that you have a son - can't imagine a little boy that wouldn't want to have a try at RC cars, boats, planes,... great chance for spending some father/son quality time.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/

Thanks for the suggestion, but RC cars (or boats) just doesn't hold the same appeal for me. :)

Neither do RC planes, for that matter - it's the challenge of keeping something up in the air using just the wind that really appeals to me. :)

HOLA4422
Guest มร หล&#3
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/

Thanks for the suggestion, but RC cars (or boats) just doesn't hold the same appeal for me. :)

Neither do RC planes, for that matter - it's the challenge of keeping something up in the air using just the wind that really appeals to me. :)

It all looks a bit '5 minute wonder' to me.

You can imagine a mid-thirties guy starring at some silly RC car saying "why the fvck did I blow a grand on that?".

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I have just re-furbished my home to include a double sided wood burning stove. I have a continual supply of free wood from a neighbour whoses family have a farm that is also used by tree surgeons. I have a huge stack of ready to cut wood drying off and I will purchase an electric chainsaw to cut to size.

I love the thought of it and have taken great inspiration from fellow poster Kurt Barlow.

I will also collect wood from local areas, plenty of felled branches in my area and it keeps you fit.

The smell of burning wood and the beauty of it will make any work worthwhile and I would expcet this to save me money in the long term.

Looking forward to winter :D

HOLA4425
Guest มร หล&#3
Does studying something new appeal?

The Teaching Company do some very good audio and video courses on a huge range of subjects:

http://www.teach12.com/

The Modern Scholar also do audio courses:

http://www.recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fus...on=scholar.home

The Open University is another option.

Thanks tachyonguru!

Do you know if the OU is open to foreign students via distance learning, costs etc?

Archived