House Price Crash Forum

Wellworths - Is It? I'm Not Quite Sure

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...Wellworths.html

I'm not sure if they could have thought of a more suitable name. Willitworths, Isitworths, Willitwork....

For those mourning the loss of pick and mix, a trip to Dorset should get you sorted. Looks like they'll still be selling the same old tat.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Some of the stores were probably doing OK. If she managed this particular one then she would know if it was turning a profit of not - so good luck to her I say

Mine's a quarter of liqorice Comfits

Indeed the failure of Woolworths was at the company level. They had a reputation for selling all sorts of rubbish and I'm sure as the store manager she will have known which areas did well and those which did not. I'd imagine stuff like DVD's/CD's etc were dragging the profits down, dump those and keep the stuff that the punters were actually buying. As a business that would have been difficult for Woolworths to do, but as an independent it's not an issue.

In fact that is what has happened locally to me, the three Woolworths I did visit, Orpington, Balham and Eltham have all been taken over by "99p Store" and it's pretty much that, all the same tat Woolworths used to sell minus the DVD's/CD's/Computer games.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Indeed the failure of Woolworths was at the company level. They had a reputation for selling all sorts of rubbish and I'm sure as the store manager she will have known which areas did well and those which did not. I'd imagine stuff like DVD's/CD's etc were dragging the profits down, dump those and keep the stuff that the punters were actually buying. As a business that would have been difficult for Woolworths to do, but as an independent it's not an issue.

In fact that is what has happened locally to me, the three Woolworths I did visit, Orpington, Balham and Eltham have all been taken over by "99p Store" and it's pretty much that, all the same tat Woolworths used to sell minus the DVD's/CD's/Computer games.

Indeed. I remember going in there in their 'amazing' closing down sale and they were still selling Halo 3 for £39.99. They had 25% off but that's still rubbish as I could get it online for £14.99.

Has anyone noticed that Wilkinsons basically does what Woolworths used to do? Selling all your basic household and garden items at a reasonable cost. You have to wonder why Woolworths abandoned that concept to start selling TVs, DVDs, clothing and board games.

HOLA448
Wellworths has been around for some time - I first encountered them in Northern Ireland about 25 years ago. They are also, in their layout, stock and general ambience, almost but not quite Woolworths. Maybe they are just expanding into the gap in the market?

There used to be a Woolworth's and a Wellworth's within 2 doors of each other here. Wellworth's was actually a proper supermarket that sold groceries. It closed down years ago leaving Woolworth's peddling useless tat. A microcosm of the British economy.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
There used to be a Woolworth's and a Wellworth's within 2 doors of each other here. Wellworth's was actually a proper supermarket that sold groceries. It closed down years ago leaving Woolworth's peddling useless tat. A microcosm of the British economy.

You're right there: Just my distant and inadequate memory making them more similar in my mind than they probably were.

Is Wellworths 2009 the same outfit as we both remember? Seems to have a really low profile.

HOLA4411
Indeed. I remember going in there in their 'amazing' closing down sale and they were still selling Halo 3 for £39.99. They had 25% off but that's still rubbish as I could get it online for £14.99.

Has anyone noticed that Wilkinsons basically does what Woolworths used to do? Selling all your basic household and garden items at a reasonable cost. You have to wonder why Woolworths abandoned that concept to start selling TVs, DVDs, clothing and board games.

No doubt they got a new chief executive who decided to take the brand 'up market'! I've seen it happen time and time again in companies that have been trading profitably - a new person comes in (probably with an MBA from Cambridge) who doesn't understand the business model and runs it into the ground through their 'improvements'!

Woolworths started originally as a 3d and 6d shop following the five & dime model in the States - a modern equivalent would be a £1 & £2 shop!

HOLA4412
Wellworths has been around for some time - I first encountered them in Northern Ireland about 25 years ago. They are also, in their layout, stock and general ambience, almost but not quite Woolworths. Maybe they are just expanding into the gap in the market?

This is an entirely new enterprise as I understand it, so any similarity to another "Wellworths" is purely coincidental.

I wish them good luck, this is a positive story about people taking the initiative and hopefully making a success of things where corporate chain retailers have failed.

HOLA4413

That was how Woolworths began.

"Everything for sixpence".

HOLA4414

Yes, much better than Woolies was for years. One of the few shops I find myself a bit of an impulse purchaser in.

They have this highly unusual approach to retail: selling useful things cheaply.

The complete opposite of 99% of the High Street for the last decade or so!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Yes, much better than Woolies was for years. One of the few shops I find myself a bit of an impulse purchaser in.

They have this highly unusual approach to retail: selling useful things cheaply.

The complete opposite of 99% of the High Street for the last decade or so!

Yup that's pretty much what it's there for. I always pop in if i'm about to bulk buy some toilet roll or cleaning stuff as it's much cheaper than the supermarket.

My local one also sells beer brewing equipment for creating my delcious Financial Hack Ale.

HOLA4417

Good luck to her, but she's going to need an awful lot of it.

The fact she's taken all 22 former staff on doesn't bode at all well. She will also struggle to put together any kind of cohesive range. There are just no longer the suppliers out there who'd service the independent sector.

Local people will make all manner of encouraging noises about supporting local businesses, then still go and buy it all at Tescos if it's cheaper.

I hope she's not done anything daft like bet her house on this venture.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The fact she's taken all 22 former staff on doesn't bode at all well. She will also struggle to put together any kind of cohesive range. There are just no longer the suppliers out there who'd service the independent sector.

Local people will make all manner of encouraging noises about supporting local businesses, then still go and buy it all at Tescos if it's cheaper.

Well, she already has quite a bit of publicity - Woolworths could only manage this much press coverage by going bust! Chris Evans is helping her here of course.

Edited by redalert

HOLA4420

Yes, we were talking about that. Wilkinsons is very good at gauging customer sentiment..

They supply for every trend, gardening, cooking, even grates for coal fires and coal scuttles. Pretty good quality and price in the main as well..

I was shocked at one of the local Wilkinsons - it even has a dedicated help desk where a member of staff, given responsibility for a particular department, and therefore knowledgeable, will take you to the items you want! Seems they even gauged the customers' desire to return to 1956 style shopping :-)

They are one store that seems reasonably busy. They win largely because they seem to stock a lot of household items that strike you as both useful and cheap as you wander round. so you buy more than you planned...

Can you buy shares in them? I think they will do ok.

HOLA4421

What a lovely story. Look at all those excited people grabbing easter eggs under the watchful eye of a security guard. He's even wired! Looks expensive.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get the report that it's gone into administration?

HOLA4422
Yes, we were talking about that. Wilkinsons is very good at gauging customer sentiment..

They supply for every trend, gardening, cooking, even grates for coal fires and coal scuttles. Pretty good quality and price in the main as well..

I was shocked at one of the local Wilkinsons - it even has a dedicated help desk where a member of staff, given responsibility for a particular department, and therefore knowledgeable, will take you to the items you want! Seems they even gauged the customers' desire to return to 1956 style shopping :-)

They are one store that seems reasonably busy. They win largely because they seem to stock a lot of household items that strike you as both useful and cheap as you wander round. so you buy more than you planned...

Can you buy shares in them? I think they will do ok.

You can't buy shares they're privately owned. They're not without issues they've expanded very rapidly in recent years.

I wouldn't share your view on quality. I would say everything other than branded products is tat.

HOLA4423

+1. I'm really surprised she didn't downsize the venture staffing wise. Obviously feels confident in the continued success of the store as an independent business.....can you get better due diligance than having been the manager for years ?

or like others, is she underestimating the severity of the global economic slump, and the psychological impact of debt deflation ? i guess no-one would get out of bed if they knew the reality.

either way good luck to her.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425