House Price Crash Forum

Tales From Northern Rock

jm78

HOLA441
Yet another personal tragedy.

I know the line on here is often that nobody forced them to do it, but the gross irresponsibility of Brown, the BoE, mortgage lenders, property "experts", and most importantly the blatantly ramping media (step forward the BBC) actively encouraged this sort of stupidity for years.

You have to be pretty independently-minded to reject the combined message of all these sources, plus all the people you knew who kept repeating it.

It would be nice to see the villains of the piece in the dock, but it won't happen will it?

Seems to me she's just posting to get sympathy. Not too much detail on how this situation has come about.

'Interest rates went wild' ;) When was this?

Why have they split up?

She's pregnant with who's baby?

I think it's a case of you made your bed, you lie in it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
OK who posted this then?

That first one was mine. I was, of course, immediately accused of smugness and a lack of sympathy.

I'm not smug -- I'm angry. This woman's actions, and the people like her, have taken a huge toll on my life. Now, they want me to pay and sacrifice even more for their selfishness. F that.

HOLA444

Come on - you have to feel sorry for this lady. Just because she wasn't able to see through the "get on the ladder at all costs" mindset that was prevalent until 18 months ago. Very few were. Although not an entirely innocent victim, she hardly deserves this.

HOLA445

RichC1 makes some very good points on the MSE forum, so I expect his posts to be deleted soon.

Sorry, but how do you expect some first time buyer to come along, pay your full asking price, and then be able to live a life? It's !!!!less, irresponsible whingers like you that have taken out unaffordable mortgages to drive property prices out of reach of reasonable people. You did this to other people. Are they now saying they're going to commit suicide because they can't afford a house -- no, they're listening to people like you demand a bailout. You and your mum won't be the first to go bankrupt and you won't be the last. Get over it.

And enough of the emotional blackmail of threatening suicide.

[editors: f eck less is not a bad word.]

My mother declared bankruptcy 6 months ago. I've spent the past 2 yours emotionally and financially supporting her through the process. I have quite a bit of incite into the OP's mindset.

And, frankly, I am upset by this person's actions. I get to see my partner about 2 hours a week because we work so much, yet we still can't afford a decent home to buy because numpties like the OP have gone and borrowed ridiculous amounts of debt to plough into the property market. Now, our taxes are going up for bail outs to this woman so we can work harder and see each other even less. How is that fair? Explain to me why I shouldn't be angry?

HOLA446
WHAT I don't understand about all of this is the following-

Firstly- the Banks (who have escaped the whole sale "personal grief scenario's" up till now- appear to have LOST an awful lot of money, and are themselves being BAILED OUT due to ineptitude and inability to repay.

This individual, whose life is in tatters, is now frustratingly seeing the banks selling their home at a huge loss.

IF- the Bank had GIVEN the huge loss to the INDIVIDUAL- as a WRITEDOWN- or RESET-

The Banks would still have a customer- and the individual would still have a home.

Maverick thinking? YES but, think about the implications of pursuing both available courses of action.

Quite honestly- the banks will lose far more by selling cheap-

Sum1- Bank writes down a percentage of customers debt- in so doing, the house, and the debt is revalued- and they will now have a customer able to afford repayments, OVER THE REMAINING PERIOD- which will no doubt add up to an awful lot of money in interest.

They could even just reset the value of the property, BUT- have a covenant on the property that says, while the new mortgage value must be paid off in full, there will be a covenant put on the property that says that when the house is sold, the outstanding balance (no interest applied) will also have to be paid in full.

Sum 2- Bank pulls whole deal, forces customer to sell house (and probly force occupants to go on the social) and gets a knockdown price for it- and thats it- finito- no interest, nothing..

It's interesting how, for example RBS can write of a £2.5 BILLION loan to a Russian oligarch who still has his gazillion pound house in London, but people like this get thrown on the streets. Perhaps we should take a leaf out of the Russians' book when we are threatened.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Zamochit

HOLA447
Come on - you have to feel sorry for this lady. Just because she wasn't able to see through the "get on the ladder at all costs" mindset that was prevalent until 18 months ago. Very few were. Although not an entirely innocent victim, she hardly deserves this.

Like I've said before this is what a House Price Crash looks like. Not pretty is it?

And we've only just begun.

There's going to be 100's of stories like this over the coming months.

Fact is the debts have to be paid back, the banks will chase you down for every last penny they can get.

HOLA448
HOLA449
That first one was mine. I was, of course, immediately accused of smugness and a lack of sympathy.

I'm not smug -- I'm angry. This woman's actions, and the people like her, have taken a huge toll on my life. Now, they want me to pay and sacrifice even more for their selfishness. F that.

I agree with what you posted. I just don't think you should have posted it where you did.

HOLA4410
Like I've said before this is what a House Price Crash looks like. Not pretty is it?

And we've only just begun.

There's going to be 100's of stories like this over the coming months.

Fact is the debts have to be paid back, the banks will chase you down for every last penny they can get.

Not if you go bankrupt. Moral? Probably not. Smartest thing to do? Probably yes.

Do it now before they tighten the law like they have done in the US. But in the US they can't chase you for mortgage losses after a repossession.

When money is being thrown about willy nilly, bankers are still receiving their bonuses and are has happy as pigs in shit, all of us may as well throw our morals out the window and try to take down the system with us.

HOLA4411

Lucky,

You said "...there are a lot of innocents who are going to suffer as well..."

What "innocents"? They were all perfectly happy to large it up about house prices going up while we on this board were slagged off by friends and relatives for "missing the boat". I have had my wife complaining since we sold in late 2003 asking when we were going to buy again, and the stress and tension that causes when you're holding out in a market that should be falling but went up all the way to late 2007 is hard to take. But no point to complain or ask for sympathy - uust back your own judgment and hope it pans out.

Now we have this woman aghast that her house is being sold below it's true "value". But that "value" was only an artificial construct in her mind as to what the property was worth - within the status of the market as it stood at that time. That very same market is now singing a different tune.

She, along with the many thousands like her who you call "innocents", is just too weak and uneducated to take the time to learn about market forces. They expect sympathy and "hugs" to help them feel better. They're not "innocent" - just uninformed, ignorant sheeple.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Now we have this woman aghast that her house is being sold below it's true "value". But that "value" was only an artificial construct in her mind as to what the property was worth - within the status of the market as it stood at that time. That very same market is now singing a different tune.

She, along with the many thousands like her who you call "innocents", is just too weak and uneducated to take the time to learn about market forces. They expect sympathy and "hugs" to help them feel better. They're not "innocent" - just uninformed, ignorant sheeple.

To be honest mate she seems more concerned about what this will all mean for her newborn child and her mother.

I agree with the sentiments posted at the start of the thread, when the gov, the banks, friends and family are all telling you to get on the ladder before it is too late, it is very hard to resist.

Lucky for me I found the graph on the front page of this site before I took the plunge.

HOLA4414
Land and property debt is 12 years in England & Wales and 20 years in Scotland.

In what sense? If they start chasing you for it right away and get you to agree repayment, do you only repay what you can afford for 12 years?

Or after 12 years are all debts cancelled, no matter if you can afford to pay them or not?

HOLA4415

Yeah, let's all rant at the suicidal.

Grow up.

HOLA4416

While your post contains elements of truth, in all its harshness, I feel you showed ill judgement in posting such an angry and unhelpful response to that desperate woman. What motivated you to kick her like that? :huh:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
In what sense? If they start chasing you for it right away and get you to agree repayment, do you only repay what you can afford for 12 years?

Or after 12 years are all debts cancelled, no matter if you can afford to pay them or not?

A situation I envisage is that residual debt will be sold on to debt collection companies for say 25p in the pound. They will sit on it for 10 years before they start chasing and The Statute of Limitations kicks in.

The only way out is Bankruptcy.

P.S. This is happening with old style student loans.

Edited by CviewUK

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

No...these unfortunate people create waves in the market which enables the more enlightened people to ride the waves to their advantage.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

"

The full story is my Mum is the other name on the mortgage - she did it so me and OH could get it in first place. We had a few great years then interest rates went crazy, we sold alsorts to try and manage then I fell pregnant.

"

This is the insane thing. They couldn't afford a house without help.

Did interest rates really go crazy?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
"

The full story is my Mum is the other name on the mortgage - she did it so me and OH could get it in first place. We had a few great years then interest rates went crazy, we sold alsorts to try and manage then I fell pregnant.

"

This is the insane thing. They couldn't afford a house without help.

Did interest rates really go crazy?

I feel quite sorry for most people who are gullible and get themselves in a mess. There was no regulatory body worth jack to tell this woman how insane her actions were and say NO.