House Price Crash Forum

Allsop Residential Auction

HOLA441
HOLA442

Couple of cheaper end repo flats I've been monitoring since autumn - most have gone under offer this past week, 1 is up by 2% on the asking price from last week but unsold.

I don't know where the money's suddenly coming from, I assume Brown's scared people out of holding cash.

Quite an amazing feat.

Edited by The Last Bear

HOLA443
HOLA444

If transactions return- particularly at auctions- it might well be a sign that some vendors are setting more reasonable asking prices and reserves. My guess is that prices will continue to fall (though perhaps more slowly than during the last year). The inital pace was awfully fast, and if this crash is like the last one there will be a very long period of slow declines after the first big bump down. The US has seen a couple of these periods of apparent renewed interest over the last 18 months or so, but all of them have been drowned pretty quickly by the extent of forced sales and lack of affordable mortgage finance.

HOLA445
HOLA446
I don't know where the money's suddenly coming from, I assume Brown's scared people out of holding cash.

I think you could be right there....

As well as the safety factor, cash holders do not like the low interest rates.

for example....hubbie tells me a work colleague's father who has a good supply of cash, is now insisting he wants to spend his retirement cash on btl properties, so he can get a rental income. He says he doesn't like the poor return on his cash in the banks now. :unsure:

Strange way of thinking imo, bearing in mind how highly priced property still is.

HOLA447

Guide prices were very low again in many cases. A one bedder in Paddington/Lancaster gate went for £200k, with a guide price of £145 - £165 but, even given that this is probably a very small flat, it would have been going for around £300k at peak.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
It could be a leading signal, people are worried about inflation/money printing even through they are being told deflation is the big bad wolf!?

could be the scaremongering is having an effect. the more that people puttheir cash into property and capital returns to the banks, the better.

If enough do it, then there wont be a "need" for QE. not that there is one anyway.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
4/5 bed house near clapham south, next door went for 730k in mid 08, sold for 475k. my mate who saw it said it was a shell and needed 100k to do up central heating etc

so 575k would be 22% off peak

except of course this might be a savvy investor snapping up a bargain.

HOLA4416
Great news for people who aren't scroungers though...

How is somebody who wants social housing a scrounger?

Land was stolen by rich elites (long ago) & Capitalist property laws put in place to keep it in the hands of the privileged few who then either force us to pay rent or to buy back a tiny scrap of this land (which nature provided freely with the intention of us all sharing).

So, Social housing & even some benefits can be seen as compensation for having all your land stolen off you.

HOLA4417
Land was stolen by rich elites (long ago) & Capitalist property laws put in place to keep it in the hands of the privileged few who then either force us to pay rent or to buy back a tiny scrap of this land (which nature provided freely with the intention of us all sharing).

http://anarcho-mortgages.741.com/

(views best in Internet Explorer)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It's interesting to see the number of properties that have been sold prior to the auction. Around 25% of the lots were sold prior to auction - I've never noticed more than 5-10% being sold prior before.

When buying prior, the seller normally wants you to pay significantly more than the guide price to withdraw the property from the auction. Any buyer who buys prior normally risks paying slightly too much to secure a property. If waiting until the auction, the buyer risks losing the property to somebody else on the day that wants the property more than they do.

I think a lot of investors look at loads of properties in the catalogue and go to the auction in the hope of getting one of the places they viewed at a cheap price. When I see places selling prior to auction, it makes me think that private buyers are viewing places local to them (most of the places are outside London) and realising they are getting a place for less then similar properties advertised by the EA. When they enquire with the auction house about how much the vendor would accept, they must be paying that price to secure a reasonably priced house.

HOLA4421

Finding a place where the rent overs the mortgage and costs is still a challenge let along with the economic problems tennants will be having soon.

It must be the low savings rates added to the belief that this is the last chance that you will get to finance that property or add to that BTL facility before the banks tighen up even more.

That last bit always surprises me but it is a fact many people just cannot afford a home and will just buy when they can.

HOLA4422

Seems the cash rich intelligence poor are having their day.

Caught the tail end of some piece on Sky had an interview with an property auctioneer saying that there was a pick up in interest. He did also state quite categorically that he believed prices in the general market would fall another 10 or so percent this year and that only realistically priced properties were selling.

Definite attempts are being made to ramp the market this year - again.

HOLA4423
Seems the cash rich intelligence poor are having their day.

Caught the tail end of some piece on Sky had an interview with an property auctioneer saying that there was a pick up in interest. He did also state quite categorically that he believed prices in the general market would fall another 10 or so percent this year and that only realistically priced properties were selling.

Definite attempts are being made to ramp the market this year - again.

guys, you cant have it all ways, most people called a 30-35% fall a couple of years ago, this is happening at auction now!remember auction prices are probably 18 months ahead of estate agent prices.

Go careful you dont hope and wait for fallls that may not emerge, bit like judging when to sell a share!

Position yourself to be able to purchase a property you want when it comes up at the right price, the people on here calling for the downfall of the whole world financial system are likely to end up with nothing if they stay in cash ironically !!

just my 2p worth !!

HOLA4424
guys, you cant have it all ways, most people called a 30-35% fall a couple of years ago, this is happening at auction now!remember auction prices are probably 18 months ahead of estate agent prices.

Go careful you dont hope and wait for fallls that may not emerge, bit like judging when to sell a share!

Position yourself to be able to purchase a property you want when it comes up at the right price, the people on here calling for the downfall of the whole world financial system are likely to end up with nothing if they stay in cash ironically !!

just my 2p worth !!

It's a fair one too IMO.

My problem is that my industry is cyclical and having a pile of cash that I can spend on food for a couple of years is preferable to having a house with no mortgage and no cash.

So I might be buying on the other side anyway.

HOLA4425