House Price Crash Forum

Slowdown In Shipping - Visible Evidence?

Mooose

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Shipping crisis as global economy slows down http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/355...slows-down.html
A firm wanting to charter the largest vessel bigger than 80,000 tonnes, known as a Capesize, would have paid $234,000 (£159,433) a day on June 5. The latest quoted rate is $8,300 (£5,677),

Is there anything one can do with a 80,000 Ton cargo ship for a weekend or two?

Demand for berths has been brisk, according to Capt Andy Brigden, harbour master at Truro, who is responsible for running the River Fal in Cornwall.

"I have been here for 21 years and I have never had so many inquiries in such a short space of time from ship owners who want to berth their vessels.

"It has come from right across the board, including car carriers, bulk carriers, gas tankers and small coastal cargo vessels.

"Some companies are looking to lay up ship for at least a year.

"The River Fal lay up berths have always been known as the barometer of the world's economy.

"When there are no ships then the economy is doing well, when it is full then it is doing badly.

HOLA446

Can't speak for the state of shipping but the local Cadet training programmes are recruiting heavily for deck officers.

From what I can gather, these are fairly intensive 3 year courses and there are a number of sponsorships going on.

Yes, there is an element of vested interest but it takes a big commitment to train a competent deck officer with the shipping lines providing sea training.

Edited by linuxgeek

HOLA447
HOLA448
Anyone else see this - at say Portsmouth?

Most shipping is handled through Southampton (large container port) rather than Portsmouth - mostly naval traffic and significant continental passenger / lorries heading north to Oxford/midlands.

Inactive shipping is more likely to be moored offshore rather than in either Portsmouth or Southampton as mooring is very expensive - but keeping vessels off UK shores is also pricey.

Shipping regularly is routed around north European ports like a delivery van routed around various towns - it's more cost effective.

Taking ships out of commission is expensive - because they still need maintenance. They're more likely to be stored where labour's cheap - Africa maybe?

HOLA449
Anyone else see this - at say Portsmouth?

Container ships don't sail from Portsmouth, they sail from Southampton. Shipping rates has collapsed in the last few months, my company is paying less than half than the summer rate.

Also, the shipping cartel was broken up by the EU (oct/nov time), so much more competitive pricing.. which hasn't helped shipping lines.

HOLA4410
Most shipping is handled through Southampton (large container port) rather than Portsmouth - mostly naval traffic and significant continental passenger / lorries heading north to Oxford/midlands.

Inactive shipping is more likely to be moored offshore rather than in either Portsmouth or Southampton as mooring is very expensive - but keeping vessels off UK shores is also pricey.

Shipping regularly is routed around north European ports like a delivery van routed around various towns - it's more cost effective.

Taking ships out of commission is expensive - because they still need maintenance. They're more likely to be stored where labour's cheap - Africa maybe?

If there are a lot of ships parked of the Solent they are usually in an area south of the Nab Tower off the SW coast of the Isle of Wight. This is a traditional holding area before they berth at Southampton. I am going to Portsmouth tomorrow :( for the inlaws 40th wedding anniversary. I will find out and report as my father in law is a retired Trinity House Pilot so he will even be able to tell me what kinds of ships are parked up!!!!!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
I am told that Singapore right now looks like it has a ring of steel around it from the air with line upon line of empty ships at anchor.

Actually I chill out at East Coast Beach everyday and have been increasingly thinking there's more gaps in the shipping. Don't get me wrong, there's still an ever-changing armada here the size of the D-Day invasion fleet, but perhaps with one or two gaps appearing.

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA4414
I am told that Singapore right now looks like it has a ring of steel around it from the air with line upon line of empty ships at anchor.

Yep Hong Kong is pretty similar - it is an eery sight - it kinda makes you feel at siege when walking on the coastal paths, although this is my first January here so I am not sure how unusual it is - other Hongkers folk, is it common in the post Christmas quiet months for HK to be so ringed by container ships at anchor (am just assuming that exports from Guangzhou are going to be down after the western commerce fest...)?

HOLA4415
Can't speak for the state of shipping but the local Cadet training programmes are recruiting heavily for deck officers.

From what I can gather, these are fairly intensive 3 year courses and there are a number of sponsorships going on.

Yes, there is an element of vested interest but it takes a big commitment to train a competent deck officer with the shipping lines providing sea training.

There has been a huge shortage of cadets for a long time. I should know, I was one in 2001. Its more to do with the kind of jobs today's youth want than the condition of the enconomy.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I flew into Shanghai just before Christmas. We approached over the harbour area, and the number of ships I saw either tied up or at anchor must have been in the hundreds.

HOLA4419

We had a phone call last week from the press asking if the economy was to blame for the large number of ships at anchor in the Moray Firth. Now, you can blame the banks for a lot of things, but even their level of carelessness can't cause a Force 10 Southeasterly.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424