House Price Crash Forum

Will The Boe Cut Irs On Thursday?

HOLA441
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

There's been massive inflation in housing costs over the last twenty years that's not counted, and a lot of hidden shrinkflation that they just fiddle the figures to obscure. After all, if the inflation stats were to rise, they might have to raise rates...

I have a small amount of money in index-linked certificates too, but I'm not expecting them to do me any good. The official inflation rate will be kept well below the reality.

HOLA443

There's been massive inflation in housing costs over the last twenty years that's not counted, and a lot of hidden shrinkflation that they just fiddle the figures to obscure. After all, if the inflation stats were to rise, they might have to raise rates...

I have a small amount of money in index-linked certificates too, but I'm not expecting them to do me any good. The official inflation rate will be kept well below the reality.

Inflation stats will be jiggled to keep on top of the public sector pensions liability that is linked to cpi - if for nothing else. Pensions won't be worth anything near what people expected. There was no index-linked rise last year because cpi was -ve in the month the indexation is calculated. The CPI basket will change and change again.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA444

As an aside, the high inflation rates in the early 1970's were a direct result of our joining the Common Market (as it was called then). Basic foodstuffs that were previously thought of as cheap foods for the poor (like cheese) went through the roof. The unions took the blame though.

The BoE should've said everything is running along fine thank you, keep calm and carry on, and we won't be changing anything. That would've given the markets confidence. Instead they have used Brexit as an excuse to hand over billions to their banker chums once again.

HOLA445

^

Pain or gain? Winners and losers from Dr Carney's crisis medicine - and how to thrive in the ultra low interest economy

Otherwise known as the quack.

Amazing that the quack is still in his job as governor with all the inept one sided guff he was spouting before the Brexit vote and ridiculously pretending to be independent.

Edited by billybong

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Good to see the banks passing the interest rate cut onto customers - and First Direct ahead of the curve (such great forward thinking)

Savers to suffer as First Direct cuts rates further than Bank of England

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/aug/08/savers-suffer-first-direct-cuts-rates-further-bank-of-england

Edited by knock out johnny

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412

When the Bank cut interest rates from 0.5pc to a record low 0.25pc in August to make lending cheaper, Mr Carney insisted the effect of lower rates effect should be felt immediately in the economy.

But over the past week major lenders including Halifax, Tesco and Nationwide have adjusted the price of a number of popular tracker mortgages upwards, making them more expensive for buyers.

Experts said banks were "sneakily" upping rates to boost their own profit margins, at the expense of consumers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/16/first-time-buyers-punished-as-uks-biggest-lenders-sneakily-raise/

HOLA4413

How can they seriously talk about first time buyers and then a 400k mortgage in the same paragraph? I mean, really??? Is my medication running low or something? :o

Also, as much as I love that rates have been increased, it's a tenuous definition of 'tracker' to increase rates on the back of a base rate cut. How do they justify that?