House Price Crash Forum

The Boat Race Disrupted

tonytramcar

HOLA441
HOLA442

An idiot swimmer has managed to halt the boat race half way through.

What happened to security? And if we can't stop this sort of thing at the Boat Race what price the Olympics ?

I bet the Olympics Security Supremos are all worried now! What a few moslem swimmers could do to disrupt the olympics!!:D

HOLA443
HOLA444

Got it on but the volumes down. What happned? Looking at it though, it looks like the last bastion of old Britain: White, upper-class so-far-from-the-coalface youths with silver spoons in their gobs who think this is what Britain in 2012 is still like. Honestly, if you looked at this and the one in say 1980 or whenever Hugh Laurie was in it you'd think Britain hadn't changed one single bit.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Got it on but the volumes down. What happned? Looking at it though, it looks like the last bastion of old Britain: White, upper-class so-far-from-the-coalface youths with silver spoons in their gobs who think this is what Britain in 2012 is still like. Honestly, if you looked at this and the one in say 1980 or whenever Hugh Laurie was in it you'd think Britain hadn't changed one single bit.

One of the crews had only one briton on board.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Drain the whole thing, the only way to be sure nothing is lurking.

Pocket Battleship parked outside Westminster?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I don't know who this maniac was or his cause. It could be anti-war, anti-cuts, anti-vivisection... don't care... he's my hero.

Take part in a 'legitimate' protest with a just cause and the ruling classes have you kettled in a flash and if you don't like it next comes the batons, pepper spray and tazers.

So smash their tedious little boat race. Tit for tat. Fight back.

Hope this kind of protest plagues the waste-of-money Olympics. Could certainly liven up the ladies' archery semi-final if nothing else.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Why stop the race? If he is so stupid he deserves whatever happens to him. I assume it got stopped on health and safety grounds and the swimmer will sue as it is his human right to swim in the Thames.

One of the commentators said he could have had his head cut off by the oar blades. Exaggeration? I guess there's a phenomenal concentration of power in each stroke.

As far as I know anyone can go swimming in the river whenever he likes.

HOLA4417

I don't know who this maniac was or his cause. It could be anti-war, anti-cuts, anti-vivisection... don't care... he's my hero.

Take part in a 'legitimate' protest with a just cause and the ruling classes have you kettled in a flash and if you don't like it next comes the batons, pepper spray and tazers.

So smash their tedious little boat race. Tit for tat. Fight back.

Hope this kind of protest plagues the waste-of-money Olympics. Could certainly liven up the ladies' archery semi-final if nothing else.

Ah, seeing everything in terms of class warfare. This being a bunch of toffs, right?

It could also be seen as a low cost public circus. A spectacle for the crowd to relieve otherwise dreary lives. The swimmer could be seen as a spoilsport wanting to spoil everyone else's day. Just because he is a miserable bast**d, nobody else is allowed to enjoy themselves. Tag on some class warfare label to justify it all. People went along to see the boat race, not to see him. He can't get his own audience so he decided to steal someone else's.

HOLA4418

I have always found the boat race one of the most boring sporting events on the calendar.

Apart from the odd sinking it is approximately 20 minutes of sheer tedium.

My proposal for livening up the race would be to allow each side to ram the other and then board the opposition boat armed with cutlasses.

That should pull the crowds

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The boat race is garbage. Same two teams in the final every year.

Yes. Anyone else seemed to notice that Oxford and Cambridge seem to dominate. I thought about betting on Sheffield as outsiders, but the bookie just laughed at me. I think he knew they didn't have a chance too.

HOLA4422

One of the crews had only one briton on board.

Loads of American and Aussie accents from the rowers at the end.....

I think the BBC only broadcast this today to try and show they are still a World class sports broadcaster having lost the rest of it to sky.

Posters are right this race has had its day and should be consigned to history, it belongs in another era.

Mind you on the other side of the coin these two universities (towns) are the only ones who give you a worthwhile degree.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It only survives through sponsorship and the sponsors are only interested due to the BBC coverage.

The BBC is a major part of the illusion of what it represents and by definition the root of the problem.

Archived