House Price Crash Forum

Wedgewood Calls In Administrators

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Wedgwood is not spelled Wedgewood. Very sad day for this country. Being a descendant of the family, I know it's long history and the great philanthropic nature of the founding family. It's one thing Zavvi going bust, but something that is a part of our heritage is another thing. On the other hand...most of the stuff they make now is irrelevant, and like the OP says, gets given away on wedding days then never seen again. So sad, but not wholly unexpected.

HOLA444
Wedgwood is not spelled Wedgewood. Very sad day for this country. Being a descendant of the family, I know it's long history and the great philanthropic nature of the founding family. It's one thing Zavvi going bust, but something that is a part of our heritage is another thing. On the other hand...most of the stuff they make now is irrelevant, and like the OP says, gets given away on wedding days then never seen again. So sad, but not wholly unexpected.

It's big news here in Japan - the Japanese love "heritage" Brit stuff like this.

I always thought it was overpriced tat myself.

HOLA445

It possibly could have have been irrelevant for a while like whittards but now discretionary spending becomes a problem and no more whittards in your wedgwood. This equals a middle class problem with money.

Zavvi is a completely different kettle of fish, it relied on woolies and credit and competes with the internet(play et al and downloads).

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Was listening to In Our Time on Radio 4 this morning. They were discussing Darwin and it turned out that he was related to the Wedgwoods on his mother's side. Melvyn Bragg and his guests discussed how the Wedgwood's free-thinking views, including opposition to slavery, the promotion of democracy and support for the American and French revolutions had encouraged Darwin himself to think radical ideas..... then the news came on and said that Wedgwood had gone bust. Shame indeed.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So does this make their products more investible?

Clearly it would seem to but it is likely somebody will buy the name (the Japanese for instance), so I would not expect Wedgwood and Waterford to vanish as a brand. Clearly we have been through a period of conspicuous consumption, and during such times luxury brands tend to do their best work, so the mid noughties may be a good "vintage". On the other hand, will a new owner honour the Waterford promise of never to retire a crytal design? Will this be positive or negative?

Not necessarily as clear cut as one might assume (excuse the pun).

HOLA4417
Constant supply of it on E-bay , some of the overated jaspar ware vases and pin trays sell for a score new , whilst many sell for a quid { if they sell at all } on e-bay excluding P & P . :rolleyes:

I'm not sure there will ever be enough grannies in the world to absorb the supply of jaspar ware pin trays and going multicolour was clearly not the stroke of marketing genius the company imagined.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Hardly surprising really. I was having a mooch around House of Fraser in the sales and looking at the china/stoneware. The price is astronomical and I wouldn't mind betting that people are not buying it because

1: Its expensive and tends to go on the spastic plastic

2: Its purchased when people move into their new house

3: I bet marriages are on the way down as people cannot afford the dig ticket items (such as weddings).

HOLA4420
The plain white Wedgwood is brilliant. Had it for years, still looks great long after the dishwasher has destroyed all our Ikea crap. Can't fault it, well, okay, the price maybe, but it's awesome stuff.

I agree with other posters - all my wedding stuff just sits in a cupboard.

I just use plain glasses and white crockery bought from Cargo a few years ago. I went in after Xmas few years ago and just cleared their shelves it wa so cheap. I expected to chuck it away after a year or two but I use it day in day out and apart from a few chips from bashing it about it is still perfect despite hundreds of dishwashings.

Nott surprised once Royal Worcester went - Wedgwood was surely just marking time waiting for the inevitable.

Edited by Wad

HOLA4421

Perhaps now would be a good time to start a genuinely high-quality brand.

Stuff that don't break.

Crockery that lasts for ages.

Polo shirts that don't shrink, come apart at the seems of turn into bobbles if you don't shave.

Trousers that don't split at the crotch.

I'd be very loyal to a brand that sold stuff that didn't break or wear out and lasted a lifetime. If for no other reason that I hate having to waste my weekends going shopping for more replacement stuff.

----

I am secretly hoping to buy a burned out shell of a house when I get around to buying one so I can spend money fixing it up to an industrial standard and not have to do anything for 30 years. Kid proof walls, etc. Since I already have 4 young kids and 55 nieces and nephews I am probably going to build a jungle gym into the house. Have a fireman's pole or a slide next to the staircase. Have trapdoors and all kinds of fun stuff for children to play with. I would have loved a house like that as a kid and I'll probably be able to see at least 2 generations of children play with and enjoy it if I do it.

Wonder what a good second hand Wickstead slide costs. The spiral type.

HOLA4422
I am secretly hoping to buy a burned out shell of a house when I get around to buying one so I can spend money fixing it up to an industrial standard and not have to do anything for 30 years. Kid proof walls, etc. Since I already have 4 young kids and 55 nieces and nephews I am probably going to build a jungle gym into the house. Have a fireman's pole or a slide next to the staircase. Have trapdoors and all kinds of fun stuff for children to play with. I would have loved a house like that as a kid and I'll probably be able to see at least 2 generations of children play with and enjoy it if I do it.

What you need is a length of used 'pit belting' that they use to shift coal on conveyors of of coal mines. Can be coiled or twisted into any shape on a wooden frame and left outside for ever. Friend of mine also had a death slide rope across his garden between two trees about 10 feet up. Kids loved it

Edited by Wad

HOLA4423
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7811048.stm

Got loads of this stuff boxed and untouched in the attic from when we got married.

Apparently operating losses for the last 6 years. Hence obviously increasing debt each year to continue running and so now there is a problem with credit is tight hence it goes under - not a great business model (ie 6 years or operating losses).

This is either a high ticket discretionary spend OR something people ask guests to buy as a wedding present.

People do less formal entertaining these days and more modern designs better for microwave and dishwasher.

HOLA4424

Nah, just wait for the auction:

neverland650.jpg

.... hang on ... :huh: ....

.. Kid proof walls, etc. ...

... :o ....

zirzaminjh.jpg

JIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

( :P )

Adults in the noughties : ignore kids and they go feral and stab you, show an interest and you're a nonce. How the f**k are we gonna fix that mindset? Add it the labour legacy along with debt-to-consume, celebrity-is-all, have-it-all-now, terrorist-up-every-lamp-post-please-spy-on-me, it-could-be-you, etc , etc. Yay for Nu-Labour!

HOLA4425
I agree with other posters - all my wedding stuff just sits in a cupboard.

All my wedding stuff sits in my ex-wife's cupboard. :rolleyes:

They were apparently highly indebted. Were they a p/e leveraged buyout or privately/family owned?