House Price Crash Forum

Lloyds Tsb Offering Me Loads Of Dosh Unsecured. Why?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Just had a letter offering me unsecured £18,000 - yet they donot know my income. Completely mad - UK's lowest unsecured loan rate apparently. So Brown is getting his way! Madness!

They're probably only sending out applications to those they know won't use them.

"Sorry Gordon, we've tried to lend money, but no-one wants it."

HOLA445
Just had a letter offering me unsecured £18,000 - yet they donot know my income. Completely mad - UK's lowest unsecured loan rate apparently. So Brown is getting his way! Madness!

They're always trying to offer me money too.

Don't know why.

These banks must like the pain or something.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

It is common practice from banking organizations to send out random letters with an "approved" loan written on it, or "approved" credit card etc....

I get this crap all the time and just shred it.

In fact nothing is approved [yet], applicants still need to apply as normal with their financial details.

It is the same type of marketing ploy book/cd companies use claiming "you have won a prize" bullsh1t.

HOLA4411

Yeah. If it's secured, they repossess what it's secured against when you default. If it's not secured, big Gary comes round and cuts out your liver.

It's all about how deep they want to insert the catheter.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
When I log onto my Lloyds TSB internet banking, they keep offering me these new accounts which I'd have the privilege of paying £400+ a year for...

You should get in touch and tell them to stop. They do if you ask them not to send you any marketing rubbish

HOLA4415
Yeah. If it's secured, they repossess what it's secured against when you default. If it's not secured, big Gary comes round and cuts out your liver.

Following law changes that took effect in April 2006, all loans and debts are effectively secured, as the rule change made it easy-peasy for them to put a charge against your house and even force a sale. Instead of a lengthy court process, they just print out a spreadsheet with names, addresses and amounts on it, fill in a cover sheet, and have it stamped by the clerk of the court. Tada, a charge against your house.

Then if you fail to pay, a short, uncomplicated, one-sided court session later (5 minutes with the judge) and they can force the sale.

horror stories about this are only just starting to come out.

HOLA4416

Hey, why does noone want to lend me money unless I ask for it?

Could it be 'cos I can't be arsed to open my junkmail?

HOLA4417

I have an existing loan with Lloyds, and for the last six months in a row, I've had the offer to "top it up" to £10k, paying my existing installments. The interesting thing is that the APR was normally floating around 13% earlier in the year, went down to 9.6% last month, but has now shot up to 14.6% this month!

HOLA4418
It is common practice from banking organizations to send out random letters with an "approved" loan written on it, or "approved" credit card etc....

I get this crap all the time and just shred it.

In fact nothing is approved [yet], applicants still need to apply as normal with their financial details.

It is the same type of marketing ploy book/cd companies use claiming "you have won a prize" bullsh1t.

That's not quite true. My company Barlcay cards were pre-approved and all I had to do was sign to recieve them!

HOLA4419
Following law changes that took effect in April 2006, all loans and debts are effectively secured, as the rule change made it easy-peasy for them to put a charge against your house and even force a sale. Instead of a lengthy court process, they just print out a spreadsheet with names, addresses and amounts on it, fill in a cover sheet, and have it stamped by the clerk of the court. Tada, a charge against your house.

Then if you fail to pay, a short, uncomplicated, one-sided court session later (5 minutes with the judge) and they can force the sale.

horror stories about this are only just starting to come out.

Yep, same government who gave us this, later gives us the home owners saved from repos headlines. If the mortgage arrears doesn't get them the plastic companies will.... especially those who try to keep their mortgage payments up by using their plastic

HOLA4420

If you get enough of these offers you can do a "Horus".

You might want to give the Thai boys a miss though.....

HOLA4421

Heres how it works "broadly"... they send out loads of mailers to people.. their premise is that perhaps only 1% of people or less will take up the offer... they still make a proft.

With their own customers they have an internal credit score based on account performance... so they see what situation you are in before offering

For non-lloyds customers they buy in lists then run non-tracable credit checks and profiling to whittle that down to an acceptable list.

For everyone when you get back to them they do have the right to seek further details and vary the offer

Unsecured lending is not really unsecured as they can go for a charging order... equally they get lower risk because they are spreading every £100,000 over a number of people not just one... and they will also have done quite a bit of risk profiling on the initial list

Finally they are charging something like 10% vs cost of funds of about 3.5%... plus they get any set up fees up front, plus they will sell payment protection insurance to about 25% of cases plus they will then cross sell other products like current accounts, car insurance, home insurance etc etc to a further 5% of the book..... in other words its really a very profitable area for them even in these turbulent times.

Its a myth that banks don't have the money to lend, where theres a percieved profit to be had they will lend as much as possible... problem for the Govt being that theres no profit or little anyway to be had in mortgages.

HOLA4422
Its a myth that banks don't have the money to lend, where theres a percieved profit to be had they will lend as much as possible... problem for the Govt being that theres no profit or little anyway to be had in mortgages.

And there's the rub for Broon.

Borrow at 2% off savers and lend at 3.5% secured against a reducing value, or lend at 12% and still be able to secure against the home some time down the line.

No brainer really, even after Broon tries another pumping exercise as just announced.

HOLA4423
heh, i get a £14k loan offer from lloyds every fortnight for the past three years. Same letter, same amount. I really wonder when theyre going to give up.

Why don't you take 'em up on it just for a laugh.....the maximum amount...then wait until the last day of the cooling off period and tell 'em you've changed your mind :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
And there's the rub for Broon.

Borrow at 2% off savers and lend at 3.5% secured against a reducing value, or lend at 12% and still be able to secure against the home some time down the line.

That is not quite the same as getting the money back. It assumes the borrower would have some equity left after existing secured debts are repaid following a distressed sale.

Perhaps the banks will bring back lots of 0% offers. It is better to lend at 0% to people who will repay the capital than at 20% to near-bankrupts who will not. Neither makes commercial sense, but then they are apparently not allowed to apply that any more now that the taxpayer owns them ....