House Price Crash Forum

Hsbc, The Worlds Local Bank

smiffy1967

HOLA441

HSBC may be the worlds local Bank, but it's not my local Bank.

Ever tried going in to talk to anyone? Nobody is trained in Finance or economics in any deep way.

Any lengthy queries and your immediately advised to call them, and it can be very expensive on a mobile phone, yep charged to call them when they make mistakes.

Then you sit in a queue and go through to an Asian or Malaysian call center and you cannot even understand what the persons saying and to make things worse, it's always a difficult VOIP line, if your lucky you will go threw to Malta, at least they speak excellent English.

The last time they called, i asked to always be put threw to a UK call center or i would not speak to them, lets at least all start doing this to kill Asian outsourcing?

The worlds local bank my Ass!

HOLA442
HOLA443

Ever tried going in to talk to anyone? Nobody is trained in Finance or economics in any deep way.

Any lengthy queries and your immediately advised to call them, and it can be very expensive on a mobile phone, yep charged to call them when they make mistakes.

Then you sit in a queue and go through to an Asian or Malaysian call center and you cannot even understand what the persons saying and to make things worse, it's always a difficult VOIP line, if your lucky you will go threw to Malta, at least they speak excellent English.

The last time they called, i asked to always be put threw to a UK call center or i would not speak to them, lets at least all start doing this to kill Asian outsourcing?

Should help a little:-

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

HOLA444
I once asked a question and they directed me to the red phone in the corner. At least it wasnt my phone call I was wasting time on.

Over the years, i have become known to all the staff in our local Branch, and one day i started having a chat about the economy - pre-2008 and i started to explain fractional reserve banking and debt based money.

Strait over the Assistant Managers head.

Very strange

HOLA445

I went into the local branch a few weeks ago as I was thinking of taking out a cash ISA with them.

The place had piped music playing and seemed excessively garish and tacky. An assistant came over and when told I was thinking of an Isa and did they have an application form told me to wait until Frank (or whatever his name was) was available and he would advise me on what I needed.

I beat a hasty retreat...

HOLA446
Over the years, i have become known to all the staff in our local Branch, and one day i started having a chat about the economy - pre-2008 and i started to explain fractional reserve banking and debt based money.

Strait over the Assistant Managers head.

Very strange

Im sure he was rivited.

HOLA447

They are truly crap.

Opened up a foreign currency account with them a couple of months back. Despite bringing my passport and existing banking statement and signing up in the branch, they still screwed up and sent me a letter a couple of weeks later saying that they didn't get sufficient documentation.

Went back again with my passport and other docs and thought it was sorted - and then a couple of weeks later received another letter stating that they still hadn't got all the info. and would I come in or the account would be frozen.

Have to pay them a fiver a month to maintain the account, no interest, no internet banking, no ATM card and no govt guarantee on the funds (offshore).

Unfortunately they are the 'safest' of the banks that will hold foreign cash for you. Unless someone knows better (Swiss Francs). I'll be off like a shot if/when the banking situation improves and telling them why.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest sillybear2
I once asked a question and they directed me to the red phone in the corner. At least it wasnt my phone call I was wasting time on.

And what did Mr Putin have to say? :blink:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Smiffy, do you have a problem with the "gh" part of your keyboard? You moan about the call centre staff not speaking very good English......

through.....not "threw"

straight......not "strait"

Otherwise, I agree with the sentiment.

And its Smithy1967 FFS!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Funnily enough, I recall two anecdotes about HSBC late 90's, early 00's when they started all this 'World's Local Branch' toss.

My best friend banked with them at the Weston-super-Mare branch and moved with a job promotion to Manhatten, where he opened another account with the Manhatten HSBC branch. He transferred his UK savings (20K), but kept his current account in WsM for sundries. They actually managed to transfer the 20K twice, leaving him massively overdrawn in the UK (and bills bouncing all over the place) and 20K 'richer' in the US. Any normal person employed by a bank seeing this pair of transactions would have concluded their was probably an error, but no.

And then we come to my old firm in the UK. I was 'lucky' enough to have a cashpoint card for the companies HSBC account. This was because I did most of the travelling, dealing with issues. I unexpectedly got dumped in Hong Kong thanks to an awkward customer and piss-poor service from Cathay Pacific, but found myself in luck! I was staying next to the Head Office of said Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation - in Hong Kong! Expectantly entering the foyer, standing beside one of the posters proclaiming that they were the 'World's Local Bank', I presented my card, drawn on a company account from a company that operated in many countries across the world (with the full knowledge of HSBC) at the machine. Upon its non-functioning, I was informed that the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation's ATM card did not, in fact, work in Hong Kong.

I have not used them since the episode.

Edit - spelling

Edited by bkkandrew

HOLA4417

On the minus side, they recently closed my local branch. :angry:

I also find their outsourced call centres to be more of a liability than a help.

On the plus side, I've always found their staff at the Sheffield Fargate branch (the new one, not he refurbished one further down [for Sheffield basd HPC'ers]) to be extremely friendly and helpful. There's usually at least 2 of them waiting by the main door to answer queries from customers.

And once I go downstairs to the business section, I get treated even better.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Leave them then.

Personally I think they're great, never had a problem with them.

Have you considered upgrading to they’re premier service if you don’t already qualify. You get an exclusive number to call, whereby you don’t have to wait in a queue with all the other plebs.

My personal premier assistant is located in my local branch.

HOLA4424