House Price Crash Forum

Limits For Cash Withdrawals Over The Counter

CFarmer

HOLA441

Recieved a notification today from Nationwide telling me there were changes to my terms and conditions. It highlighted a change which forces you to use a cash machine for withdrawals less than £30, but also stated it was adding the following to the T+Cs:

Limits apply to the amount you can withdraw at a cash machine or branch counter and the amount you can withdraw from your account each day

Their website has further details; turns out the upper limit is £500 a day although "You may be able to withdraw more than £500 at a Nationwide branch counter if you give us at least two full working days’ notice"

withdrawal limits

I wasn't sure if there was an upper limit on it before, and I didn't know if there are any other banks with an upper limit either. Anyone know of any more?

It does seem sensible to restrict hard cash withdrawals to limit the effects of a run and prevent them running out of £20 notes in branch, however I thought Nationwide were a lot safer than NR, B+B etc so wouldn't have expected them needing to put anti-run terms in place.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Halifax will only let you have £1k before you have to book it. Although you can get £300 from a cash machine each day too, so £1.3k max per day.

When I bought my car a year ago, circa £6k, I gave 4 working days notice with Barclays (cost me a fortune ringing and booking this on my mobile) and they claimed I had never booked it when I went to collect the money so wouldn't give it to me. Of course I kicked up a big stink (I'd agreed to buy it that day) and after a 30min wait they came up with the cash. They did question me loads though.

Also, when I bought my jet ski I had the same problems and couldn't wait the 3 days required. So I got out 1.3k each day...

HOLA443
HOLA444
I wasn't sure if there was an upper limit on it before, and I didn't know if there are any other banks with an upper limit either. Anyone know of any more?

I bank with Abbey and have experienced similar, and it's not new. Well, I've tried a few times in the past to get £2-£3K for a car purchse and have been told that I needed to book in advance.

HOLA445
Their website has further details; turns out the upper limit is £500 a day although "You may be able to withdraw more than £500 at a Nationwide branch counter if you give us at least two full working days’ notice"

500 sheets have been there daily withdrawal limit for a longgggg time , it's for your own security ....the notification was mainly centered around people who withdraw £30 or less at the counter , telling them to use the ATM .

HOLA446
Halifax will only let you have £1k before you have to book it. Although you can get £300 from a cash machine each day too, so £1.3k max per day.

When I bought my car a year ago, circa £6k, I gave 4 working days notice with Barclays (cost me a fortune ringing and booking this on my mobile) and they claimed I had never booked it when I went to collect the money so wouldn't give it to me. Of course I kicked up a big stink (I'd agreed to buy it that day) and after a 30min wait they came up with the cash. They did question me loads though.

Also, when I bought my jet ski I had the same problems and couldn't wait the 3 days required. So I got out 1.3k each day...

I had the same problem with my yacht, 1.3k every day for 6 months, what a pain

HOLA447
HOLA448

£500 seemed low for over the counter.. Some people can withdraw that from ATMs!

Think reading some of the posts on here over the past few months has made me too twitchy.. thought they were trying to sneak it in through the back door, and couldn't see any similar limits on the Lloyds or Natwest websites!

Nationwide do seem fairly strict with money. they wouldn't even give me a cheque book when I asked for one a few years ago!

HOLA449
I had the same problem with my yacht, 1.3k every day for 6 months, what a pain

:lol:

Also, when I worked at a bookies in my youth, they only would pay out £500 to each punter each day. Any more would be the following day.

Quite simply, banks etc only have so much money on the premises.

HOLA4410
Recieved a notification today from Nationwide telling me there were changes to my terms and conditions. It highlighted a change which forces you to use a cash machine for withdrawals less than £30, but also stated it was adding the following to the T+Cs:

withdrawal limits

It does seem sensible to restrict hard cash withdrawals to limit the effects of a run and prevent them running out of £20 notes in branch, however I thought Nationwide were a lot safer than NR, B+B etc so wouldn't have expected them needing to put anti-run terms in place.

Limiting the amount of cash withdrawn at the counter places an upper limit on the amount of cash to be held on the premises - deterring robbery. Most banks/building societies have a limit between £500 - £1k. You can get more if you ask in advance.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

sort of makes you wonder about injins mad theories - if you want hard cash you need to 'book' to get it out when it is a large value.

however, should you want to buy a 20k car and stick it on either the credit/debit card where it's just numbers on a screen - no problem sir!

HOLA4413

I've posted this at 10 am today as it's major development IMO (shame it was moved to ISA section). Just to repeat, "other" BS limiting withdrawals to £500/day, £1000/week. It's not publicly announced yet so no link. Clearly they already experience or expect a shortage of cash. Make of it what you will.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I've posted this at 10 am today as it's major development IMO (shame it was moved to ISA section). Just to repeat, "other" BS limiting withdrawals to £500/day, £1000/week. It's not publicly announced yet so no link. Clearly they already experience or expect a shortage of cash. Make of it what you will.

Daily limits or requirements to book are legal on the basis that there is only a certain amount of "cash" you can have in a bank.

A weekly limit would not be, in any way, legal, and would FORCE a run on that bank when news got out.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

QUOTE (MrlyingOutHis@rse @ Oct 14 2008, 09:24 PM) *

"I've posted this at 10 am today as it's major development IMO (shame it was moved to ISA section)".

SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY ERASED. Due to latter part of it being TOTAL FABRICATION

lies continue...."Just to repeat, "other" BS limiting withdrawals to £500/day, £1000/week.

It's not publicly announced yet so no link. Clearly they already experience or expect a shortage of cash. Make of it what you will".

Yea, I will make of it what I will.

AND it's a pile of cr@p.

Many Building Societies already limit cash withdrawls to £500/day, that part is true.

But.

WHAT 'other' building Societies are limiting cash withdrawls to £1000/week??????.

UTTER CR@P, total fabricated twaddle.

"It's not publicly announced yet so no link".

that is a shame, now we can't verify it.

There isn't a building society in the Country that limits cash withdrawls to £1000/week.

I'll even bet £1000 there isn't one.

Some People on this HPC site just make the twaddle up as they go along.

It's one thing having a laugh about things, poking fun at the Icelandic's stuff like that.

But WHAT A WHOPPA.

"other" BS limiting withdrawals to £1000/week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's one thing to say, I think in 2012 the average house in Britain will be worth £95,000.

great, maybe it will, maybe it won't.

But spreading WHAPPA's like this £1000/week stuff it's totally nowhere man, it's just unworthy.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I went to my bank and withdrew my entire deposit on Saturday. They were warned by me the previous day of my intention. when i went down on Saturday morning they told me they would onyl give me a cheque. I went ballistic with them and said very loudly withg a huge ques behind me that I was deeply concerned that a major high street bank in the #centre of the city appeared unable to pay me may moiney in legal tender.

They quickly paid up.

Money in a friend's business safe up north. Out of the banking system for the immediately forseeable future.

I intend to take myself "off-grid" as much as is humanly possible from now on in with regards to my financial transactions.

Not easy in this day and age. But I am going to do my damnest to get as close as possible to the above ideal.

Steve, well done for standing up to the bank.

However, don't you think it was a bit risky letting everyone know that you would be walking out loaded with cash?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest Steve Cook

How can you get to insist to utility companies that they provide you with the measn to pay your bills in cassh. also, how can you force them not to penalise you for doing so?

anybody got any info?

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

withdrawal limits

This is because you are a terrorist funded by drugs and illegal immigrant smuggling, as are we all, hence the need for ID cards and restrictions on "funny money" (cash, yours,as in).

HOLA4425
Guest Steve Cook
This is because you are a terrorist funded by drugs and illegal immigrant smuggling, as are we all, hence the need for ID cards and restrictions on "funny money" (cash, yours,as in).

you're not wrong my friend..... <_<