House Price Crash Forum

Yesterday Cars, Today Houses. Tomorrow?

HOLA441

Yesterday a few Media outlets carried the story, nay rumours, that Darling is thinking of giving people between 1 and 2 thousand to get rid of their gas guzzling cars. Today, we have rumours of a stamp duty holiday.

Is this anyway to run a Government? It appears to be that they are so desperate that they are leaking policy to the Media just to see what the reaction is first. Sounds like a Government in a BIG hole and panicking about being kicked out of Office.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I find the incompetence of this government truly baffling. Brown's supporters argue that his weakness in communications and tactics is made up for by his strength in strategic vision. OK, so what is that strategic vision? Can anyone find one policy that reflects that strategy?

What is his strategy for dealing with growing economic inequality? That would be eliminate the 10p band and raise taxes for the poorest in society, allow council taxes (disproportionately paid by lower and middle income households) to increase by 5% a year for years on end, and, at the same time, eliminate stamp duty, one of the few taxes where the wealthy actually paid their fair share of taxes.

This government is bonkers. Everything is done to drive headlines, with no thought given to the consequences.

HOLA445
Yesterday a few Media outlets carried the story, nay rumours, that Darling is thinking of giving people between 1 and 2 thousand to get rid of their gas guzzling cars. Today, we have rumours of a stamp duty holiday.

Is this anyway to run a Government? It appears to be that they are so desperate that they are leaking policy to the Media just to see what the reaction is first. Sounds like a Government in a BIG hole and panicking about being kicked out of Office.

They are bankrupt.

They only have what they can steal, and that depends on the ability of the population to produce and/or borrow AND the willingness of the population to hand over their money more or less with no effort from the government. Tey also need inflation to pay the bills.

Everything they do reduces production, everything they do is pure overhead with no benefit. The more they do, the worse things get.

STATE FAILURE.

HOLA446
I find the incompetence of this government truly baffling. Brown's supporters argue that his weakness in communications and tactics is made up for by his strength in strategic vision. OK, so what is that strategic vision? Can anyone find one policy that reflects that strategy?

What is his strategy for dealing with growing economic inequality? That would be eliminate the 10p band and raise taxes for the poorest in society, allow council taxes (disproportionately paid by lower and middle income households) to increase by 5% a year for years on end, and, at the same time, eliminate stamp duty, one of the few taxes where the wealthy actually paid their fair share of taxes.

This government is bonkers. Everything is done to drive headlines, with no thought given to the consequences.

I think they are just paralysed at the moment, backstabbing and infighting like starving pigs at the last chance trough, nobody wants to piss off the electorate even more than they already have (lost cause there anyway), and you expect sane policy to emit from the decaying bloated beast of a govt in it's death throes? :blink:

HOLA447

who do you give the car too? can i give my car to my other half who then sells it?

HOLA448
They are bankrupt.

They only have what they can steal, and that depends on the ability of the population to produce and/or borrow AND the willingness of the population to hand over their money more or less with no effort from the government. Tey also need inflation to pay the bills.

Everything they do reduces production, everything they do is pure overhead with no benefit. The more they do, the worse things get.

STATE FAILURE.

Hey, you're back! Groovy.

...or is it an illusion....? :unsure:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
They are bankrupt.

STATE FAILURE.

I'm glad you're back around Injin - & I think this is a brilliant post.

To my mind you are filling a cgnao shaped hole that sadly appeared on this site.

HOLA4413
so get rid of your 6 grand car... for 1-2k?

erm... how about no... thats my opinion!!!

lol

...or alternatively go buy a £500 wreck, register in your name and then get paid £1-2k to get shot of it.

I smell a bubble... :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I have a theory.

Opposite where I work, there's a couple of billboards.

In the last few weeks, the following companies have been there.

Barratt

HBOS

Bradford and Bingley

Lexus.

Judging by this Belwether, the next company to hit recession will be Virgin Media. Which kind of makes sense bearing in mind how much of a discretionary service a lot of their "XXL" packages are. Plus, there were ructions last year about them being taken over by a VC firm whose name escapes me for now. In fact, in a previous life, I wrote a proposal for Carphone Warehouse/AOL UK buying them out.

Discuss. (Or not, whatever)

HOLA4416
so get rid of your 6 grand car... for 1-2k?

erm... how about no... thats my opinion!!!

If you have a 10 year-old, 150k mile banger which has devalued to the point of being effectively worthless, then £1-2k off a replacement doesn't seem quite as ridiculous. The problem is that the people who are currently running that sort of vehicle are very unlikely to have the money to replace it with the sort of car (i.e. a new or nearly new one) NuLab has in mind. An effective £1-2k discount off a £10k car isn't going to make it affordable for them.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest sillybear2
who do you give the car too? can i give my car to my other half who then sells it?

You have a polluting car, the government bribes you to sell it, I then buy it (and drive x2 the miles)... and how does this help the environment exactly?

HOLA4420
Guest sillybear2
To my mind you are filling a cgnao shaped hole that sadly appeared on this site.

Quite, I can remember CGNAO well, I was actually on the phone with him when he was pottering around the house/bunker in a confused state and decided to pull a large box from the top shelf of his cupboard, I heard a metallic noise and then a large thud and then the line went dead... I haven't heard from him since, he stopped posting on here too, weird. :blink:

HOLA4421
They are bankrupt.

STATE FAILURE.

How can I be sure this is the real Injin and not a fiat version? :unsure:

Welcome back!

HOLA4422

Given that a large proportion of the population is in deep debt I suspect they will be running a slide rule over the accounts of savers. A 10% haircut should keep them going for a while longer. ;)

HOLA4423

I'm sure they'll just give you a coupon you can redeem £2k off the purchase of a NEW CAR!!

..off course the majority of the carbon hoofprint is created when the ******er is made, why can't we have money to keep our existing cars on the road? or have gov penaties on car makers that have crap cars that need replacing every 5 years?