House Price Crash Forum

Ftb Tale Of Woe

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7450384.stm

OMG, where to start... :P . Some choice quotes here...

rather than renting which, at the time, seemed like throwing money down the drain

I had banked with the Halifax for years but they wanted a £40,000 deposit. How can anyone in our position save that?

We bought a one-bedroom ground floor flat in Bromley for £177,000 in December. Our budget was £180,000. It was a bit of a dump but friends helped to do up the bathroom and we borrowed a bit of money to do it up.

It sounds silly but I have really wanted a PlayStation for six months but I cannot go out and buy one.

If I could go back we would rent somewhere for about £750 a month. Our mortgage is £1,300 a month, so we could have put money away until the credit crunch blows over. The government gives no incentive for first-time buyers

There's one born every minute... :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Quality of life = owning a Playstation

Interesting concept.

lol

I think the point he was trying to make is he can't even afford the little things in life with his new mortgage, not that a PS3 would significantly improve their quality of life :-)

HOLA446

Now the questions I would be asking them are these;

Have you learn't anything in this experience?

Do you still think renting is "dead money"?

How much do you think your property is worth now?

I fear they will have learn't very little, some folk need it spelt out to them and it is up to the banks and the government to teach the in's and out's of house purchasing to those that do not understand the risks.

Not everyone reads this site and not everyone can comprehend the information it provides.

And what did the parents have to say about this purchase? maybe they were really annoying and they just wanted rid of them :P

Edited by geed

HOLA447
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7450384.stm

OMG, where to start... :P . Some choice quotes here...

rather than renting which, at the time, seemed like throwing money down the drain

I had banked with the Halifax for years but they wanted a £40,000 deposit. How can anyone in our position save that?

We bought a one-bedroom ground floor flat in Bromley for £177,000 in December. Our budget was £180,000. It was a bit of a dump but friends helped to do up the bathroom and we borrowed a bit of money to do it up.

It sounds silly but I have really wanted a PlayStation for six months but I cannot go out and buy one.

If I could go back we would rent somewhere for about £750 a month. Our mortgage is £1,300 a month, so we could have put money away until the credit crunch blows over. The government gives no incentive for first-time buyers

There's one born every minute... :lol::lol::lol:

There is at least one born in that time frame!

Seriously, some people need their heads examining.

I hope he never wants anything nice again. He is totally screwed.

Top sale value now..... gotta be around £120k if he is lucky?

HOLA448
The government gives no incentive for first-time buyers

What about

• 10 years of low inflation

• 10 years of low interest rates

• low unemployment

• stability and prudence

What other incentives did they expect?

Ungrateful whingers.

[/sarcasm]

HOLA449

"one-bedroom ground floor flat in Bromley for £177,000..."

Ooo that's gotta hurt! Well you pay your money and take your choice as it were.

They've made several key decisions that have led them to this unenviable situation and now indirectly blame the government for not being able to afford the ultimate symbol of disposable income: the Playstation. They only have themselves to blame I'm afraid, I'm sure if HPC wasn't happening they'd be going on to all their renting-friends about how great owning is.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If it's costing him too much, that's his problem. Still, at least he's on the "property ladder" :rolleyes:

HOLA4412
I have no idea what a credit controller does but I guessing it doesn't require much financial acumen

Credit controllers call up companies and nag them to pay their bills. My mum is a credit controller for a law firm in London.

£177k for a 1 bed flat in bromley seems like a major rip-off to me, even at the height of HPI madness. I understand the problem with the playstation though, I don't think I could function property without my beloved Xbox 360.

HOLA4413
I have no idea what a credit controller does but I guessing it doesn't require much financial acumen

That was hilarious - credit controller... if there had been any kind of sane credit control on the part of his lender they would never have lent them 100% FFS.

The quote about not being arsed to save for a deposit...Jeez. I really really struggle to work out what is going through these people's minds when they borrow such a riduiculous amount of money on a 1 bed flat. As you say, has he any financial sense at all? How on earth did he get a job?

Will there be hundreds of thousands of similar stories in the next couple of years? terrifying. :ph34r:

HOLA4414

The sad thing is, he's probably a nice enough bloke - just trying to do his best etc etc. Hopefully he is the last of 'Generation F#cked'. This should stand as a prime example of financial naivity, reckless lending, and HP's gone to the moon.

HOLA4415

Probably worth about £60k back in 1998. 10 years compound inflation at, say 4%, gets him £85k and some change to buy a PS3. Hope his retirement plans aren't based around this century.

HOLA4416

I suppose that if you are paying 1300 a month you can't go out anymore - you probably can't afford a TV licence, with inflation being as it is, either. Therefore, the playstation would beat staring at the walls... :ph34r:

HOLA4417
Credit controllers call up companies and nag them to pay their bills. My mum is a credit controller for a law firm in London.

£177k for a 1 bed flat in bromley seems like a major rip-off to me, even at the height of HPI madness. I understand the problem with the playstation though, I don't think I could function property without my beloved Xbox 360.

I'll say. If he's irritated now just think how's going to feel when his interest rates go up to 10% and the flat's worth £95,000.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I'll say. If he's irritated now just think how's going to feel when his interest rates go up to 10% and the flat's worth £95,000.

But if he had a playstation then he could vent his frustration by massacring some aliens, instead he'll probably be massacring people in the queue at Halifax.

HOLA4420

But if he had a playstation then he could vent his frustration by massacring some aliens, instead he'll probably be massacring people in the queue at Halifax.

HOLA4421

HOLA4422

I read on the BBC that oil is up yet again to $143 and the NYSE might bomb a bit when it opens, all of which will only compound the problems of our aforementioned Bromley FTB.

HOLA4423

----------------------------------------------------

Jeezzzzzzzz [speechless]............... :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4424
I read on the BBC that oil is up yet again to $143 and the NYSE might bomb a bit when it opens, all of which will only compound the problems of our aforementioned Bromley FTB.

I kind of fell bad for the guy, I could have been that Bromley FTB if i'd let the OH's nagging about buying property get the better of my pessimism. Thank god the pessimism won through!

HOLA4425