House Price Crash Forum

Edinburgh Facts And Figures

geed

HOLA441

The detailed report is still there under the House Price Table link:

http://www.espc.com/EspcPageMedia/MarketWatch/StatsSummaryQ2-2010.png

Gorgie/Dalry is down by 5.1% - not bad but way to go.

Doesn’t the Quarter 2 2009 report report look nice, with all those minuses? What a rotten last year it has been for those of us wanting prices to come down. Congratulations to Gorgie/Dalry for leading the way down in Quarter 2 2010, and here’s hoping that the other areas and property types will follow soon – as, surely, they must.

ccc, have you kept a record of the average price of one-bed Gorgie/Dalry flats over the last couple of years? Has it ever been below 100K? If not, then this will be quite a milestone as and when it occurs.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Doesn’t the Quarter 2 2009 report report look nice, with all those minuses? What a rotten last year it has been for those of us wanting prices to come down. Congratulations to Gorgie/Dalry for leading the way down in Quarter 2 2010, and here’s hoping that the other areas and property types will follow soon – as, surely, they must.

ccc, have you kept a record of the average price of one-bed Gorgie/Dalry flats over the last couple of years? Has it ever been below 100K? If not, then this will be quite a milestone as and when it occurs.

I had also hoped that the spring bounce wouldn't materialize, but it did, with a vengeance. To cheer us up here's a graph with prices and YoY and quarterly changes for the Gorgie/Dalry 1-bed flats since 2005. £100K was breached in Q1/2006 and the peak was in Q1/2008 with £127K, so they're down 15% from peak.

gorgie-dalry.gif

post-19384-1278803242818_thumb.gif

HOLA443

The detailed report is still there under the House Price Table link:

http://www.espc.com/...maryQ2-2010.png

Gorgie/Dalry is down by 5.1% - not bad but way to go.

Thanks. Nice graph there. Yep - 60-70k is the target - in my opinion.

I find the figure of 108k as the average sale price for one bedders in Gorgie/Dalry very difficult to believe. A quick search on ESPC shows no less than 36 in the Gorgie area alone under 108k.

HOLA444

Thanks. Nice graph there. Yep - 60-70k is the target - in my opinion.

I find the figure of 108k as the average sale price for one bedders in Gorgie/Dalry very difficult to believe. A quick search on ESPC shows no less than 36 in the Gorgie area alone under 108k.

yeh but those 36 didn't sell, just one did at the highly infated price of £108K ;)

See espc (you must read the posts), how misleading NOT printing actual sales volumes is....

HOLA445

I have noticed that the headline number of properties for sale via the ESPC has been plummeting over the last few days. It had been over 9,500, and I was observing it creep upwards, but then it fell to about 8,000 late last week, and now it is down to 5,776. The number of properties being returned in my particular search has not fallen, however. By the ‘headline’ figure I mean the one on the Search – Step 2 page, as shown in the attachment.

Have one or more partnerships between the ESPC and other organisations perhaps come to an end? Is it maybe property outwith Edinburgh which previously was included in the headline figure, but which has ceased to be included?

I wonder if ESPC would like to comment. It’s not an important issue, but it would be good to understand why that number has suddenly gone down by about 40%.

ESPC search step 2.png

post-417-12789259625978_thumb.png

HOLA446

I have noticed that the headline number of properties for sale via the ESPC has been plummeting over the last few days. It had been over 9,500, and I was observing it creep upwards, but then it fell to about 8,000 late last week, and now it is down to 5,776. The number of properties being returned in my particular search has not fallen, however. By the ‘headline’ figure I mean the one on the Search – Step 2 page, as shown in the attachment.

Have one or more partnerships between the ESPC and other organisations perhaps come to an end? Is it maybe property outwith Edinburgh which previously was included in the headline figure, but which has ceased to be included?

I wonder if ESPC would like to comment. It’s not an important issue, but it would be good to understand why that number has suddenly gone down by about 40%.

I noticed this too, I am keeping a track every week or so of the number of properties on the site and the number in my post code. The total has dropped sharply but the number in my postcode has risen every week now for several months. Something has changed somewhere.

HOLA447

I noticed this too, I am keeping a track every week or so of the number of properties on the site and the number in my post code. The total has dropped sharply but the number in my postcode has risen every week now for several months. Something has changed somewhere.

It must have been a temporary glitch. The number is back up to 9,890 this morning, nudging nicely towards 10,000!

ESPC_search.png

post-417-12790139470677_thumb.png

HOLA448

It seems to do that more or less every Monday; I think someone suggested before that they might be updating their database with weekly figures from their members on Mondays. I've also noticed a dip over the last few weeks (which, as MH points out, now seems to have vanished). Could be that people were away on holiday or watching the football or something.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

It seems to do that more or less every Monday; I think someone suggested before that they might be updating their database with weekly figures from their members on Mondays. I've also noticed a dip over the last few weeks (which, as MH points out, now seems to have vanished). Could be that people were away on holiday or watching the football or something.

We have an agreement with gspc.co.uk that adds our content to their site and vice versa. On occasions, such as this weekend, there is a glitch with the feed from their database, which means the properties do not come on the site. The feed comes through on a daily basis. Informed by the woollen jumper dept (IT) that the glitch is fixed.

HOLA4411

yeh but those 36 didn't sell, just one did at the highly infated price of £108K ;)

See espc (you must read the posts), how misleading NOT printing actual sales volumes is....

the figure for gorgie/dalry is based on 26 sales.

HOLA4412

the figure for gorgie/dalry is based on 26 sales.

Thanks for that info. I do only keep a track of the Gorgie area myself. If we split it half and half, then you are looking about 13 ish sales per 3 months. Let's say 3-4 per month. I just cannot remember seeing anything like that for Gorgie. I would put it at more like 1-2 per month. And that is being generous.

Not that I track it to that level so maybe I just miss a few. Or is the Gorgie/Dalry area perhaps just a wee bit bigger than we think ?

HOLA4413

We have an agreement with gspc.co.uk that adds our content to their site and vice versa. On occasions, such as this weekend, there is a glitch with the feed from their database, which means the properties do not come on the site. The feed comes through on a daily basis. Informed by the woollen jumper dept (IT) that the glitch is fixed.

Hiye ESPC.

Any idea when the monthly figures for June are coming out?

Almost a week late now.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The number of properties in my regular ESPC search has just reached 175 for the first time. I wonder whether it will hit 200 in the autumn.

The total number of properties for sale on the ESPC web site has plummeted from about 9,750 to 6,154. Time for the ESPC staff to prod the woollen jumper department again, perhaps?

HOLA4417

The total number of properties for sale on the ESPC web site has plummeted from about 9,750 to 6,154. Time for the ESPC staff to prod the woollen jumper department again, perhaps?

I think that happens every Monday. It'll probably be back to normal later on.

Edit: up to 9,919 at 1:30.

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA4418

The Hootsman appears to have gone all Bearish...

:ph34r::blink::lol::unsure::ph34r::huh:

Scotsman Property News

Lots of Doom and Gloom re house price values in the press in the last week :P . dei ja vue early 2008? I hope this doesn't grind out too long, really thought the first dip of this crash (in Edinburgh start of 2008 IIRC) was at last the opportunity many first time buyers had been waiting for. Amazingly we saw some 15% taken off the average value of Edinburgh house values and the speed of which the falls occured was phenominal - too quick perhaps?

It has been so frustrating. Logic says prices remain extremely overvalued whether you look at long term average growth trends, long term salary multiples for mortgages, average local salaries verses house prices or rental yields (some of the worst in the country in edinburgh!). None of this is rocket science. Yet somehow, against all logic prices recovered, although not to the dizzy heights of the peak.

The mentality of the young professional must have families that populate Edinburgh's suburbs is irrational in the extreme.

1)Have child must have prestige SUV - "little Farquar must be safe and mummy needs the extra space". (my parents seemed to cope well with two of us in the 70's in a two door Capri! and my 1000 quid banger has taken my family (3 of) all around the UK with not a glitch - not got the right badge on the bonnet however).

2)Must have the right postcode at all costs for little Farquar to mingle among "good blood" in primary school,

3)Must be close to chic "Yummy Mummy" friendly services such as coffee shops, overpriced hairdressers and pottery shops to make Daddy a little Farquar hand print mug on a 6 monthly basis.

This is what we are up against, the Edinburgh yuppies where the term "financial restraint" brings on a sudden speech impediments, temporary stuttering and severe dyslexia.

I'll have a go at all cross sections of the Edinburgh house buying public in due course but todays turn was the the young yuppy families....next the Babay boomers ;)

I am a firm believer that when all is done, the shrewd, the cautious, the financially insightful will come out of the last 15 years or so better equipped for the future than ever. Heres hoping.....Geed

Down with house prices, DOWN!

Edited by geed

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The mentality of the young professional must have families that populate Edinburgh's suburbs is irrational in the extreme.

1)Have child must have prestige SUV - "little Farquar must be safe and mummy needs the extra space". (my parents seemed to cope well with two of us in the 70's in a two door Capri! and my 1000 quid banger has taken my family (3 of) all around the UK with not a glitch - not got the right badge on the bonnet however).

2)Must have the right postcode at all costs for little Farquar to mingle among "good blood" in primary school,

3)Must be close to chic "Yummy Mummy" friendly services such as coffee shops, overpriced hairdressers and pottery shops to make Daddy a little Farquar hand print mug on a 6 monthly basis.

This is what we are up against, the Edinburgh yuppies where the term "financial restraint" brings on a sudden speech impediments, temporary stuttering and severe dyslexia.

Irrational to want to have a nice car and a house in a nice area for one's family? I don't think so. Is it not possible that they are just richer/in a better paid job than you? You have no evidence that the targets of your ire are being financially imprudent.

HOLA4421

I'll have a go at all cross sections of the Edinburgh house buying public in due course but todays turn was the the young yuppy families....next the Babay boomers ;)

young yuppy families? Yuppies don't have kids till there in their 30's. Before 22 is ruled out by being at uni, then a few years building up the career and living in a tenement flat before moving up to the 'burbs when the sprogs pop out. Blimey, it's me :o what-ho

HOLA4422

Yep, it’s back up to 9,909 now! I’m looking forward to it going through the 10,000 barrier, possibly not this week, but maybe next …

It was over 10,000 between June and October 2008, but it was down to less than 8,000 a year later. Wonder how far we'll get this time?

HOLA4423

Irrational to want to have a nice car and a house in a nice area for one's family? I don't think so. Is it not possible that they are just richer/in a better paid job than you? You have no evidence that the targets of your ire are being financially imprudent.

I think Geed was talking about those for who 'appearance' is everything. And he is right about these people in Edinburgh - full of them.

These people will risk it all just so other people see them and think 'Ooh - they have done well for themselves'. Even if it means verging on complete disaster.

This group of people have been central to the House price bubble IMO. Not the only ones of course - but a very important group in this whole mess.

HOLA4424

I think Geed was talking about those for who 'appearance' is everything. And he is right about these people in Edinburgh - full of them.

These people will risk it all just so other people see them and think 'Ooh - they have done well for themselves'. Even if it means verging on complete disaster.

This group of people have been central to the House price bubble IMO. Not the only ones of course - but a very important group in this whole mess.

The one-off TV comedy drama New Town satirised this group of people beautifully. Try to find it and watch it if you’ve not seen it. It was discussed on this forum many months ago; if the search facility ever worked, I’d dig out the original discussion.

HOLA4425

I agree there are plenty of poseurs in Edinburgh. But I have no evidence whether they are splashing their cash within or outwith their means. And neither have you or Geed presented any-even anecdotally.