geed

HOLA441
  • Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Some facts and figures from my local area:

• On 30 November 2008, on the ESPC website there were 38 flats in Marchmont for sale at £150,000 or more, with two or more bedrooms. On 18 November 2009 there are 6.

• On 30 November 2008, on the ESPC website there were 30 flats in Bruntsfield for sale at £150,000 or more, with two or more bedrooms. On 18 November 2009 there are 9.

Anything half-decent which does come up for sale sells straight away at the moment.

HOLA443

Some facts and figures from my local area:

• On 30 November 2008, on the ESPC website there were 38 flats in Marchmont for sale at £150,000 or more, with two or more bedrooms. On 18 November 2009 there are 6.

• On 30 November 2008, on the ESPC website there were 30 flats in Bruntsfield for sale at £150,000 or more, with two or more bedrooms. On 18 November 2009 there are 9.

Anything half-decent which does come up for sale sells straight away at the moment.

Stuff above £500k is simply not shifting in nearby areas-morningside/grange/merchiston.

Stuff under 150k is truggling too from what I can see. What is it about purchasers of march/brunt tenements!!!!!

HOLA444

Stuff above £500k is simply not shifting in nearby areas-morningside/grange/merchiston.

Stuff under 150k is truggling too from what I can see. What is it about purchasers of march/brunt tenements!!!!!

From my ongoing eye on FTB Gorgie - the under 150k FTb market is not so much struggling - as dead.

Their really is next to nothing selling. And unlike the crazy World of Morningside - prices are actually gradually dropping - and supply is creeping up.

HOLA445
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Dave - you should be out in George Street at this hour. :D

Been away for while...what the hell is going on? What has changed in the last 6 months to create bubble 2? This is turning into a rather large dead cat bounce....I fear the dull herd mentaility returning....oh dear

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Edinburgh's unemployment claimant count continues to rise, despite the drop in the UK figure.

Picture 2.png

Must just be a blip tho, eh no?

Edinburgh is different. Aberdeen is different. In fact the whole of Scotland is different. We will be protected. We will have less job losses than down South. We will have less house price falls than the rest of the UK.

Get with the programme. :)

HOLA4412

Edinburgh is different. Aberdeen is different. In fact the whole of Scotland is different. We will be protected. We will have less job losses than down South. We will have less house price falls than the rest of the UK.

That's exactly what it says in the Scotsman today.

David Bell: Why our workers avoid worst of recession

UNEMPLOYMENT in Scotland reached 187,000 between August and October 2009, an increase of 52,000 on the same period in 2008.

Although this was a significant rise in joblessness, the Scottish unemployment rate of 6.9 per cent was well below the overall UK rate of 7.9 per cent, and significantly better than the rates of 10.1 per cent in the West Midlands and 9.2 per cent in London.

Even better,

The Scottish housing market did not overheat to the same extent as the rest of the UK, and when the bubble burst, fewer Scots experienced negative equity.

HOLA4413

That's exactly what it says in the Scotsman today.

David Bell: Why our workers avoid worst of recession

Even better,

I think he is the bod they always trot out on Newsnight Scotland ? Does not have a clue.

So 6.9% is 'well below' 7.9% is it ? Doesn't seem that large a difference to me. Also he compares it to other areas with higher unemployment. A balanced article would compare to other areas with lower unemplyemnt too. It doesn't. Cherrypicking again.

Perhaps the very high % of public sector workers in Scotland has something to do with this ? Does he even mention it ? Of course not.

As for the old 'Scottish housing market did not overheat'.

I can't believe people are still trotting this pish out. Load of nonsense.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Another pile of nonsense from the Hootsman.

Nonsense

Churnalism at its finest.

Why would the financially struggling Johnston Press bother to employ decent journalists, and give them the time and resources to research genuine news stories, when they can get a handful of underpaid and overworked hacks to regurgitate press releases from property companies instead? It fills the pages so much more cheaply.

I wonder how much genuine news we’re missing out on as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Here’s a wee post, just to keep things ticking over in this forum.

My regular ESPC search (2+ bedrooms, £150,000+, Marchmont, Bruntsfield, Merchiston and Morningside) is now returning exactly 50 properties. This time last year, and for a long time around summer 2008, there were about 120.

I’ve just dug out an old post of mine (#77 on this thread) from 16 September 2008, when the number of 2+ bedroom properties up for sale for 150K or over in Bruntsfield was 33, and in Marchmont was 42. Currently the figures are 8 for Bruntsfield, and precisely 1 for Marchmont!

I hope supply picks up after the general election, or else I shall just have to remain a ‘rent-forever loser’!

HOLA4417

Here’s a wee post, just to keep things ticking over in this forum.

My regular ESPC search (2+ bedrooms, £150,000+, Marchmont, Bruntsfield, Merchiston and Morningside) is now returning exactly 50 properties. This time last year, and for a long time around summer 2008, there were about 120.

I’ve just dug out an old post of mine (#77 on this thread) from 16 September 2008, when the number of 2+ bedroom properties up for sale for 150K or over in Bruntsfield was 33, and in Marchmont was 42. Currently the figures are 8 for Bruntsfield, and precisely 1 for Marchmont!

I hope supply picks up after the general election, or else I shall just have to remain a ‘rent-forever loser’!

I know the feeling, I am looking in similar areas though with a bit of a wider search and there is absolutely nothing coming on. My saved search has gone reduced from 156 properties to only 42!

Tory Government, IR rises, Banking job losses filtering through, all seem to be some way away so better just hunker down and keep saving for the moment!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Have Home Information Packs contributed to the lack of supply?

More people may have chanced their arm and put their house on the market but the costs have increased so much it must put some people off.

The fee should be paid on sale only. That might also encourage surveyors to price properties more realistically.

Hmmmmmmm. People are selling their over priced boxes for twice what they paid.

I don't think an upfront cost of a grand will be stopping them.

Single Seller Surveys are fab. Offers over dead in the water.

HOLA4420

Latest Rental Stats. Numbers creeping back up again after large falls in availability.

I am noticing a lot of places that are up for a lot less than they would have been 2 years ago. If you want a furnished not bad 2 bed flat in Edinburgh for £500 these days ? Not a problem. These just did not exist 2 years ago.

I must have it wrong though. Some expert was telling us in the Scotsman that the BTL market was set to take off again ?

Can't see it myself. A lot of desperation out there by the looks of it.

2 Bedders split to Dec 09.jpg

2 bedders total to Dec 09.jpg

post-9648-1262426942514_thumb.jpg

post-9648-1262426955627_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Cheers for the update. Looks like large houses skewing the figures again. Even the ESPC admit this fact.

If house prices in Edinburgh were rising I would happily admit it, even if I wouldn't want it !!

However from looking at real houses for sale in various areas ? Prices here are not rising in any way whatsoever. There are masses of 'Price reduced by' or '10k under valuation' notes on loads of houses here. First time buyer places are doing literally nothing. I doubt there is more than 1 or 2 one bedders sold per month in Gorgie for example.

I actually think at the moment prices are falling in Edinburgh more noticably than any time previously. Once FTB places start to sell - and who knows when that will happen - the average price falls will be quite huge IMO.

Just think what a raft of 80k sales would do to the overall average sales figure ?!

Looking at overall stats is not really that useful is it - with tiny sales figures ?

HOLA4423

Here are the ESPC stats for the four central Edinburgh areas - Marchmont/Bruntsfield, City Centre, Leith Walk, Stockbridge, from 1996, updated for the Q4 2009 figures.

Three graphs: 1) absolute prices, 2) YoY and quarterly changes, 3) change from peak in Q2/2008.

There was a 1.1% increase YoY and prices are now at 87.5% of their peak value.

It seems ESPC are no longer publishing details on number of sales, but the total number of sales was very similar to Q3 (~1,300).

hp.gif

hppercchange.gif

hppercpeak.gif

post-19384-12632509020941_thumb.gif

post-19384-12632509130344_thumb.gif

post-19384-12632509237395_thumb.gif

HOLA4424

Here are the ESPC stats for the four central Edinburgh areas - Marchmont/Bruntsfield, City Centre, Leith Walk, Stockbridge, from 1996, updated for the Q4 2009 figures.

Three graphs: 1) absolute prices, 2) YoY and quarterly changes, 3) change from peak in Q2/2008.

There was a 1.1% increase YoY and prices are now at 87.5% of their peak value.

It seems ESPC are no longer publishing details on number of sales, but the total number of sales was very similar to Q3 (~1,300).

Good stuff Frisian!

Those trend lines certainly calm the nerves!

HOLA4425

Have Home Information Packs contributed to the lack of supply?

More people may have chanced their arm and put their house on the market but the costs have increased so much it must put some people off.

The fee should be paid on sale only. That might also encourage surveyors to price properties more realistically.

Home Information packs are having an adverse affect for some imo. If you are a buyer then they are great!!!! if you are a seller then they are not so great unless your house is in tip top condition and you stand to make a few quid from a sale!

some people are having things pointed out and made available to the buyer that would have gone unoticed before and thse things can range from a piece of rotten floor board to a detecting dampness. these are things that if the buyer never picked up before the sale was concluded, they were left to sort after moving in without any or much compensation. Now you have the cost of the HIP and the cost of the repairs or the reduction in the sale price due to the repairs not having been done prior to selling, couple that with some Neg equity and all of a sudden people actually do grudge having to spend the extra on HIP's and PIP's.

If the people selling are treading a fine line between what they paid for a property and what they can expect to sell the property for, they may opt to wait till after the election untill the torrys get in and scrap HIP's and PIP's. Imo this is what will happen, people who fall into this category will be holding on to their properties till summer and then things will pickup. All imho but feel free to come back and quote me later!

Edited by Jister1