House Price Crash Forum

Shameless!

HOLA441

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/NEWSW01.html

Residents slam plan to rent out homes on private estate

by JAN HARWOOD

RESIDENTS of a private Royton housing estate are outraged that some of the £190,000 homes are to be rented out for around £70 per week.

One home-owner in Rosebay Close fears she could end up living next-door to a Gallagher-style family from Channel 4’s “Shameless” after David Wilson Homes sold six houses — three-bedroom mews — to Guinness Northern Counties.

Julie Jackson said: “I don’t know what we can do to stop this happening, but at least we may be able to soften the blow by getting decent hard-working people and not someone who belongs on the “Shameless” set.”

Another resident, Steven Davies, was disgusted when he found that homes similar to the one he bought for almost £188,000 in October, 2006, were available to rent for £73.60 per week.

He said: “I can’t believe these houses are being sold for what is effectively council housing. We were led to believe that all the houses would be private properties on a private housing estate. I was devastated when I heard..."

HOLA442

"David Wilson Homes has two other developments in Royton, at St Anne’s Place and Sandy Mill, and the company confirmed that some houses on those estates had been sold to Guinness Northern Counties."

So how much have housing associations overpaid for them?

And let's be honest rents at £70 a week benefit everyone.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest tbatst2000

Another example of the middle classes being dumped on. If you're middle class living on this estate you'll pay something like 1100-1200 per month for a repayment mortgage and then maybe another 700-800 a year in council tax. If you're on a low enough income (i.e. next to 0, at least if the rules in Cambridge are representative of the rest of the country) you'll pay 3640 per year in rent and no council tax. Presumably, the rent will also be covered by housing benefit. Makes you wonder what the point in going to work is really.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest tbatst2000
Where else would we sit reading HPC.co.uk ;)

Fair point, can't argue with that. 'We pretend to work, they pretend to pay us' springs to mind here!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
He said: “I can’t believe these houses are being sold for what is effectively council housing. We were led to believe that all the houses would be private properties on a private housing estate. I was devastated when I heard..."

What's really unbelievable is people's ability to get mugged time after time.

HOLA4412
Makes you wonder what the point in going to work is really.

ive beenthinking this recentley, if you cant beat them (with a stick, baseball bat, but of a shot gun) then join them, then getting my g/F pregnent, i will then get a house/flat benifits NHS dentist, etc all paid for, and all i have ot do it get it is feck all

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I remember something very similar happening in Docklands London during the last crash. Loads of new 'exec' housing not wanted and ending up tenanted by any old housing assoc tenants, whole brand new enclaves of what was supposed to be very expensive housing looking very shameless indeed.

Thing is, the area never really recovered and is still shabby in many places, prices did though.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

So the suckers (BTL'ers)/developers who are crying out for housing associations to buy their 1 and 2 bed 'luxury' apartments and won't because they're rubbish are losing out to the people who live on luxury estates and don't want housing association people anywhere near them.

HOLA4420

did they expect to be able to vet all potential buyers of property on there estate?

No doubt this estate is full of community liason support diversity project managers, who have been living the daily mail dream for the last few years.

Sadly the real world calls!

HOLA4421

On the flip side, why should those who really need housing not be given a house at a reasonable price per week, just because a bunch of sheeple bought houses at silly prices? It may be that these very people would have been FTBs if the prices hadn't gone daft. Why should they suffer?

If people believed their house was worth 190k in 2006 when they bought it, then what are they moaning about? Did they not think that they were overpriced if they could rent similar houses for much cheaper? I'm sure they assumed it would go up in price more and they would have been happy if they had.

I rent from a private landlord on a new estate at £110 per week (nice, 3 bed semi with garden etc), rather than paying the 195k for the house when we moved in. The houses are already at 175k now and I expect 150k within a few months. If a few more people thought about how much they were paying and for what, we wouldn't be in such a mess.

BTW, I also agree that the councils will be buying much of the empty property at discount rates. It will solve the housing issues (for the poor) that we have now. All those empty apartments will likely be the first to go this way.

For those of you who feel bitter about the poor sponging for housing and not paying council tax, ask yourself this. Would there be as many people doing it if council tax was a reasonable price and houses hadn't gotten so ridiculously expensive? I doubt it.

EDIT: Also, perhaps this would remove some of this them and us, snobbery. Sprinkle the haves and the have nots together and maybe we would have less social unrest and fewer gated estates to keep the "riff-raff" out.

Edited by Traktion

HOLA4422
On the flip side, why should those who really need housing not be given a house at a reasonable price per week, just because a bunch of sheeple bought houses at silly prices? It may be that these very people would have been FTBs if the prices hadn't gone daft. Why should they suffer?

If people believed their house was worth 190k in 2006 when they bought it, then what are they moaning about? Did they not think that they were overpriced if they could rent similar houses for much cheaper? I'm sure they assumed it would go up in price more and they would have been happy if they had.

I rent from a private landlord on a new estate at £110 per week (nice, 3 bed semi with garden etc), rather than paying the 195k for the house when we moved in. The houses are already at 175k now and I expect 150k within a few months. If a few more people thought about how much they were paying and for what, we wouldn't be in such a mess.

BTW, I also agree that the councils will be buying much of the empty property at discount rates. It will solve the housing issues (for the poor) that we have now. All those empty apartments will likely be the first to go this way.

For those of you who feel bitter about the poor sponging for housing and not paying council tax, ask yourself this. Would there be as many people doing it if council tax was a reasonable price and houses hadn't got so ridiculously expensive? I doubt it.

EDIT: Also, perhaps this would remove some of this them and us, snobbery. Sprinkle the haves and the have nots together and maybe we would have less social unrest and fewer gated estates to keep the "riff-raff" out.

To put that right you'd have to go back 50 years and kill Thatcher.

Who, now, lives behind the aforementioned gates.

BTLer leeches are the cause of much distortion and upheaval but the blame for gated communities will forever lie at the door of the bitch Thatcher and all her mute droids.

HOLA4423

Proud owner: “We feel so aggrieved by this we wish David Wilson Homes would buy back the house so we could move elsewhere"

David Wilson Homes: "Of course, that can be easily arranged sir....what's that ? you want ...£190k for it ?

Baahahahahahahhahaha so long suckers !"

HOLA4424

Where I live in Harwich a new housing estate is being built with approx 200 properties, of which 80 have been bought by a housing association (from east London borough) as they're not selling too well here in harwich.

A load of flats were knocked down there (east London) to make way for olympic developments i think.

HOLA4425
Proud owner: “We feel so aggrieved by this we wish David Wilson Homes would buy back the house so we could move elsewhere"

It's rather reminiscent of that video of a US TV news programme last year, showing an aggrieved gentleman who found out that an identical house to the one he bought just a few months earlier had just sold at auction for approximately half the price he paid.

"Dude, that's not fair", as I believe he put it.

Never mind, eh?