House Price Crash Forum

Edinbugh Latest

roblpm

HOLA441

The individual area % have always shown huge variables. I wouldn't take much notice. It's the overall number that's worth looking at - although thete has clearly been movement up - 7% seems high compared to whatvi have been looking at.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

https://www.ros.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/34194/RoS-statistical-report-Oct-Dec-2015.pdf

Courtesy of the Aberdeen thread.

I honestly dont know where the 'average' and 'mean' Edinburgh % change over the past year come from - when you look at the break down for 'type. It makes no sense. Any statisticaly minded folk out there have a clue ? :blink:

Average price:

Detached - 4.4

Semi -0.4

Terraced - 2.3

Flat + 1.9

TOTAL + 3.2%

Median price:

Detached 0.0

Semi + 0.6

Terraced + 3.1

Flat + 5.3

TOTAL + 8.4%

HOLA443

https://www.ros.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/34194/RoS-statistical-report-Oct-Dec-2015.pdf

I honestly dont know where the 'average' and 'mean' Edinburgh % change over the past year come from - when you look at the break down for 'type. It makes no sense. Any statisticaly minded folk out there have a clue ? :blink:

Average price:

Detached - 4.4

Semi -0.4

Terraced - 2.3

Flat + 1.9

TOTAL + 3.2%

Median price:

Detached 0.0

Semi + 0.6

Terraced + 3.1

Flat + 5.3

TOTAL + 8.4%

I think it is down to new builds skewing the figures. I out explanation in Aberdeen thread.

HOLA444

Average price:

Detached - 4.4

Semi -0.4

Terraced - 2.3

Flat + 1.9

TOTAL + 3.2%

Median price:

Detached 0.0

Semi + 0.6

Terraced + 3.1

Flat + 5.3

TOTAL + 8.4%

I think it is down to new builds skewing the figures. I put explanation in Aberdeen thread. Edited by reverand_cat

HOLA445

On reflection, I wonder if the increases in Dalmeny and South Queensferry can be explained by new builds coming on stream out that way, for which one pays the usual 1st owner new build premium. Prices of those would be above the value of existing older 3 bed houses in the area, significantly raising average values if the new builds hadn't been built the previous year. As such it wouldn't really be that prices had risen by 20% on the back of increased demand, but rather that a change in the nature of the housing stock available in the area had altered average prices.

Think you're absolutely correct. There's been some ridiculously-price new build properties selling over towards the train station. 4/5 bedrooms for £5-600k. Insane.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Had a look at the latest ESPC report. Average prices YOY for East Scotland are flat. Well in fact down 0.01% but thats not important.

The press release of course starts with the Edinburgh average price which is up a few % instead.

Also noticed that the Gorgie/Dalry section of their table has been extended to include shandon and Chesser. Similarly Leith Walk and Easter Road now includes Bonnington and Pilrig.

Strangely enough the average sales price for these areas has shot up over the last year. No little asterix I can see on this report to note this change.

There are definately a fair few sold signs around just now. I know of a few people buying, prices are certainly creeping up a little - HOWEVER - I dont think things in and around Edinburgh are quite as 'up and coming' and rosy as the usual pundits would have us believe.

Edited by ccc

HOLA449

Perhaps Edinburgh % linked to the BTL brigade buying up their last nest eggs before April?

Will be interesting to see if things take a dramatic turn after then as the city has such a huge BTL sector, with average profits to turn negative in the next couple years even if the interest rate stays at 0.5%. And that's ignoring the fallout of a possible Brexit vote upsetting the union and the looming recession. Interesting times indeed.

Have been looking at property around Dunfermline and it's crept back up to 2007 levels but down in real terms of course, looking very tempting for a move back up to Scotland, the madness of the SE is really getting to me now.

HOLA4410

Dunfermline didnt really seem to join the big bubble like Edinburgh. Must have risen a bit at that time - but nothing like Edinburgh. I have never looked at places over there in the last 10 years and instantly thought - thats nuts.

Have a look at ourproperty and see if any of the places you are looking at were sold in 2006-2007 maybe ? I imagine most are still under those prices even today ?

I could be wrong of course as not really tracked it very closely.

Edited by ccc

HOLA4411

Thanks for the website recommendation had no idea about it, very useful!

Looks like most properties sold in 06/07 are back around their 2007 values now, well above their 2009 lows. Many 2/3 bed semi-detached around 125-150k in 2007 and now 2015 bottomed out around 110-125 in 2009. Would be quite happy if they went back to those levels in the next couple years although hardly dramatic falls compared to the potential down here :)

HOLA4412

Had a look at the latest ESPC report. Average prices YOY for East Scotland are flat. Well in fact down 0.01% but thats not important.

The press release of course starts with the Edinburgh average price which is up a few % instead.

Also noticed that the Gorgie/Dalry section of their table has been extended to include shandon and Chesser. Similarly Leith Walk and Easter Road now includes Bonnington and Pilrig.

Strangely enough the average sales price for these areas has shot up over the last year. No little asterix I can see on this report to note this change.

There are definately a fair few sold signs around just now. I know of a few people buying, prices are certainly creeping up a little - HOWEVER - I dont think things in and around Edinburgh are quite as 'up and coming' and rosy as the usual pundits would have us believe.

Heard someone lecturing/informing a couple of young guys about the "Big Short", subprime, liar loans, how leverage works against you on the way down, plus how the MSM spins our relationship with the EZ, it was on a Glasgow to Edinburgh train this afternoon, couldn`t quite believe my ears! Felt like a secret agent in occupied France twigging that someone else is also a secret agent... :lol: Was that you or someone else who posts on here? Really encouraging to hear this getting aired in public.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It's jumping in Abbeyhill/Meadowbank at the moment :(. I viewed a property in Abbeyhill last Tuesday which had 12 notes of interest within 6 days of going on espc, with a closing date Wednesday. I was one of the bidders and I wasn't successful despite giving 6.3% over valuation. I guess this is towards the lower end of the market (150000+ and probably people priced out of Hillside etc are looking to see what they can get close by. But I've noticed some more expensive properties on the East side going to closing very quickly lately. Also Pilrig is showing increased prices and faster closings too....

HOLA4415

If anyone wants a laugh pick up a paper copy of this months ESPC. On page 7 - advert for Bellway they have a piece on their new builds at Dukes Meadow in Dalkeith.

"Conveniently located just outside of Edinburgh CITY CENTRE"

:blink:

I wouldn't class 7 miles as "just outside" but I am not a savvy property investor so what would I know.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If anyone wants a laugh pick up a paper copy of this months ESPC. On page 7 - advert for Bellway they have a piece on their new builds at Dukes Meadow in Dalkeith.

"Conveniently located just outside of Edinburgh CITY CENTRE"

:blink:

I wouldn't class 7 miles as "just outside" but I am not a savvy property investor so what would I know.

At least you're going to be close to IKEA.

HOLA4418

It's jumping in Abbeyhill/Meadowbank at the moment :(. I viewed a property in Abbeyhill last Tuesday which had 12 notes of interest within 6 days of going on espc, with a closing date Wednesday. I was one of the bidders and I wasn't successful despite giving 6.3% over valuation. I guess this is towards the lower end of the market (150000+ and probably people priced out of Hillside etc are looking to see what they can get close by. But I've noticed some more expensive properties on the East side going to closing very quickly lately. Also Pilrig is showing increased prices and faster closings too....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fxmNnbCu7qs/UBCZ7E3plHI/AAAAAAAAAPs/G8-UmulitHY/s1600/meadows48arthursseat.jpg

Being so close to open spaces like this makes Meadowbank/Abbeyhill etc. more appealing than the actual flats would be in a more built up area IMO (this shot is from the Meadows looks like so not really the view from Meadowbank/Abbeyhill, but you have Holyrood Park on your doorstep at Meadowbank and a 15 minute walk to say Dunsapie Loch gives you this ...

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/72/40/3724042_9eac6a7a.jpg

..and even closer, five minutes if that from my old flat at Meadowbank (Yes MSE`ers £400p.m from a private landlord) you get this...

http://tocontandoashoras.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/edimbraaa-nov-2011-134.jpg

All goes to make the "Tenement Lifestyle" more bearable I say... :P

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4419

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fxmNnbCu7qs/UBCZ7E3plHI/AAAAAAAAAPs/G8-UmulitHY/s1600/meadows48arthursseat.jpg

Being so close to open spaces like this makes Meadowbank/Abbeyhill etc. more appealing than the actual flats would be in a more built up area IMO (this shot is from the Meadows looks like so not really the view from Meadowbank/Abbeyhill, but you have Holyrood Park on your doorstep at Meadowbank

Why do you think I was looking at that area ;-)

HOLA4420

Leith, 1972. Will it be back to this after the crash?

image-958909-galleryV9-simn-958909.jpg

Much of Leith looks like that already. Its only certain parts of it that have been 'ponced' up. Loads of it is still an absolute hole.

HOLA4421

Much of Leith looks like that already. Its only certain parts of it that have been 'ponced' up. Loads of it is still an absolute hole.

Indeed. Hasn't changed a bit, except for all the PCP-ed Minis and Fiat 500s clogging up the streets.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424

Being so close to open spaces like this makes Meadowbank/Abbeyhill etc. more appealing than the actual flats would be in a more built up area IMO (this shot is from the Meadows looks like so not really the view from Meadowbank/Abbeyhill, but you have Holyrood Park on your doorstep at Meadowbank and a 15 minute walk to say Dunsapie Loch gives you this ...

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03/72/40/3724042_9eac6a7a.jpg

..and even closer, five minutes if that from my old flat at Meadowbank (Yes MSE`ers £400p.m from a private landlord) you get this...

http://tocontandoashoras.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/edimbraaa-nov-2011-134.jpg

All goes to make the "Tenement Lifestyle" more bearable I say... :P

There also are quite a few parks in Leith, just take Dalmeny, Pilrig, or the Links. I was lucky enough to live with park views, so the appartment was always bright and you could always go out for a walk. Also, I always greatly enjoyed the walks along the Water of Leith and down to the coast around Newhaven (getting a snack at the Loch Fyne or at the Old Chain Pier). A very nice park is Starbank, with views of the Firth. Anyhoo, I miss it a lot, but had to move on...

Edited by Silverfinger

HOLA4425