House Price Crash Forum

Cant Borrow As Much :(

HOLA441
Guest Bart of Darkness
yep, looks like 3.7x single or 2.9 joint

Yep, I get 3.7 as well (single with no loan outgoings)

Are we returning to sanity?

Possibly the beginnings of one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
i guess you dont know many home owners

the ones i know, withdrew equity ike pigs eating shit

reinvested it in all kinds of ********, spent it, did up their homes, what ever.

the point is, homeowners will loose becuase there will not be a cheap near infinite cash machine for them anymore

Oh those homeowners... F*** 'em all :)

I own a house but only borrowed 3x my salary in 1999. Spent 7 years paying off the mortgage with hard earned, PAYE cash and now have house + savings and want to trade up. Some of us homeowners are sensible and we still get screwed by this stupid Forest Gump "Stupid as Stupid gets bl**dy BTL bl**dy rich" economy.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Oh those homeowners... F*** 'em all :)

I own a house but only borrowed 3x my salary in 1999. Spent 7 years paying off the mortgage with hard earned, PAYE cash and now have house + savings and want to trade up. Some of us homeowners are sensible and we still get screwed by this stupid Forest Gump "Stupid as Stupid gets bl**dy BTL bl**dy rich" economy.

i agree, but just becuase i want house prices to crash im not gona lie to myself and say most home owners will not be pissed off at falling values

HOLA448
Guest Bart of Darkness
It is a sliding scale.

Northern rock will lend 3.8x on a 50K income [£190k mortgage] - a sliding scale but not a huge difference in northern rocks case.

Yep. I put in 75k as an income and still got 3.8x.

Do you not think low incomes would be offered less, say 25k salary will give you 3.5% whereas a 50k might give you 5 times?

Not with NR it don't. :P

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The calculator is just a dumb front-end - it doesn't take into account affordability.

Offers the same ratios of income irrespective of the size of the income

Nor does it reference the size of deposit.

Pretty meaningless, IMHO.

HSBC will still lend me 5x joint.

Yet moneyextra.co.uk will only offer up 3x joint salary by default.

But when you dive into the comparison tools there are plenty of company's offering 5x salary.

A little odd - almost like there is a gentle resetting of expectations going on?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Bart of Darkness
yes, you can get a set of sturmey archer gears, curley wurleys AND some space dust from Abbots of Chester.

Totally off topic but related ever so slightly to the above.

Does anyone else in the Western world (bar me) remember a toy from the early 70s. It was a piece of corrugated plastic pipe, a bit like a Hoover piper only made of lighter and thinner plastic. Basically you err.... whirled it around and it... erm made a noise. That was it basically.*

I call it the "whirring pipe" for the sake of having some sort of moniker for it but does anyone know its real name?

*I think we were a bit easier to please in the early 70s, or more gullible, I forget which.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I also get the 3.8x for single-income but the interesting bit was that declaring kids reduced the max borrowing by £27K.

I've never seen that used in a mortgage calculator so far. Maybe they should include a "you must not have kids in the mortgage contract" or "we reserve the right to increase the SVR unless you are granted breeding rights in advance".

VMR.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
does anyone else in the Western world (bar me) remember a toy from the early 70s. It was a piece of corrugated plastic pipe, a bit like a Hoover piper only made of lighter and thinner plastic. Basically you err.... whirled it around and it... erm made a noise. That was it basically.*

I call it the "whirring pipe" for the sake of having some sort of moniker for it but does anyone know its real name?

Yeah, remember it well. I had a pale orange one. Don't remember the name.

HOLA4421

Does anyone else in the Western world (bar me) remember a toy from the early 70s. It was a piece of corrugated plastic pipe, a bit like a Hoover piper only made of lighter and thinner plastic. Basically you err.... whirled it around and it... erm made a noise. That was it basically.*

*I think we were a bit easier to please in the early 70s, or more gullible, I forget which.

I was around then, and I do remember this, but, as you say, we were easier to please then, so maybe it really was just various bits of old hoover pipe, rather than a marketeer's wet dream?

I shall blame you if it comes back into fashion. Ditto for Clackers ;)

HOLA4422
Has anyone used the mortgage calculator

E.g. on http://www.northernrock.co.uk/mortgages/calculator/index.asp

I ve also done the same on Halifax.

On a single £25K income i can only borrow 90K

Has anyone noticed that you cannot borrow as much?

Interesting. So all the sheeple coming to the end of their fixed terms? Will they be priced out of changing lenders and have to stick to their existing lender? Not really a problem for those that stuck to the 3.5 borrowing but I'm sure it will catch out a few "hidden" sub prime borrowers I can't see it doing the bottom end of the market any good and then it's just a matter of time.

HOLA4423
Guest barebear

I remember it, it came out around the same tiime as space hoppers and choppers. You could get it in all different dayglo colours,T Rex were number 1 with Jeepster,Alvin Stardust was there too and Slade and Sweet, familys used to have friends over and play Twister while the younger kids whirred in the background,mum would shout at Dad while her crotch was in uncles face and say what did you buy those bloody tubes for? But I dont think it had a name,may have been a magic tube or something.

Mott the hoople and the game of life yeh yeh yeh yeh.

HOLA4424
Do you not think low incomes would be offered less, say 25k salary will give you 3.5% whereas a 50k might give you 5 times?

I thought that, but looking at NR, its "offering" a mortgage of only 3 times joint where the joint income is 100k + 55k. Great news if the other lenders follow suit. That said, Scottish Widows have a similar mortgage calculator, and that's offering 4 x joint (on the same figures as above) so there is still some fairly "generous" lending out there....

HOLA4425
I thought that, but looking at NR, its "offering" a mortgage of only 3 times joint where the joint income is 100k + 55k. Great news if the other lenders follow suit. That said, Scottish Widows have a similar mortgage calculator, and that's offering 4 x joint (on the same figures as above) so there is still some fairly "generous" lending out there....

Comrades! the people's bank offered me a loan of only just over 3x salary. It appears bonuses don't count as a full component anymore....