House Price Crash Forum

Riot At 2pm ?

Bearback

HOLA441
I find that photo the most disgusting thing ever. Old people who went through the war and lord knows what else turned away by police, denied access to their life savings- in a democratic country for god's sake!! I think I just woke up in some third world country.

It was very sad. almost makes me want to cry. I hope it keeps opening long enough for these pensioners to get all of their money out. It could have a terrible human cost otherwise.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
Astute positional playing by Churchill permitting Roosevelt to push Lend Lease through an isolationist Congress. Japan attacking Pearl Harbor bringing the military/industrial might of the US into the War as an ally. Hubris on the part of Hitler attacking an erstwhile neutral Russia. The actions of millions of people throughout the Commonwealth supporting an otherwise isolated BRITAIN.

Do tell us - how do you think ENGLAND won WWII?

neutral RUSSIA ? are you serious?? HItler and Stalin carved up Europe between them and then Hitler turned on his ally STalin. THis really stunned STalin as it was said Hitler was the only person he ever trusted.

HOLA444
Yes, and what about all the internet accounts that just tell them to basically fook-off.

This may end up being one of the more significant issues to come out of this IMO. I recently opened a Sainsbury's Bank internet a/c but am hesitating to fund it now. I just checked on their site and, of course, there is no stated provision for access in event of Internet access being unavailable. There may be limited point in queueing outside the high street real estate of a collapsing bank - as some found out today - but at least it presents a visible spectacle to the media. An Internet-only bank could possibly default without this visible sign of what is going on and with its creditors queueing to telephone an unmanned call centre that might as well be in Tamil Nadu.

One thing to bear in mind also is that it is not only the financial problems of the bank that could result in disruption, it is conceivable the Internet in the future may come in for further Chinese and Russian cyber attack (if you believe the rumours), parts of the Internet infrastructure may fall into the hand of criminals or - possibly worse - governments, unexpected security loopholes may come to light etc etc. The Internet has been relatively plain sailing so far, but that may not always be the case.

HOLA445
This may end up being one of the more significant issues to come out of this IMO. I recently opened a Sainsbury's Bank internet a/c but am hesitating to fund it now. I just checked on their site and, of course, there is no stated provision for access in event of Internet access being unavailable. There may be limited point in queueing outside the high street real estate of a collapsing bank - as some found out today - but at least it presents a visible spectacle to the media. An Internet-only bank could possibly default without this visible sign of what is going on and with its creditors queueing to telephone an unmanned call centre that might as well be in Tamil Nadu.

One thing to bear in mind also is that it is not only the financial problems of the bank that could result in disruption, it is conceivable the Internet in the future may come in for further Chinese and Russian cyber attack (if you believe the rumours), parts of the Internet infrastructure may fall into the hand of criminals or - possibly worse - governments, unexpected security loopholes may come to light etc etc. The Internet has been relatively plain sailing so far, but that may not always be the case.

If you bank with lloydstsb you can access 'internet only' accounts over the counter! The only thing you cant access is you ISA.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
neutral RUSSIA ? are you serious?? HItler and Stalin carved up Europe between them and then Hitler turned on his ally STalin. THis really stunned STalin as it was said Hitler was the only person he ever trusted.

From Hitler's perspective he was neutral - look up non-aggression pact in any worthwhile book.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Sainsburys? What the heck do they know about banking? Next thing coming will be the petrol station at the end of the street opening up an on-line bank.

No wonder this financial system is collapsing.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Sainsburys? What the heck do they know about banking? Next thing coming will be the petrol station at the end of the street opening up an on-line bank.

I had to bite my lip in order to go after their interest rate (which was the best at one point but has since been bettered).

At least they have a public profile that would be at stake in the event of any problems.

On the other hand, what did centuries of banking expertise do for Barings?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest portwinestain
Being refused acces to your funds on demand could b e very stressful for older people in particular, even more so if infirm. This is a very sad photo.

That is quite sad. I bet the old dear can't sleep tonight.

I actually believe that you would get your money, after all the BOE has just threw money at them. It's the psychology of it all that is fascinating and a bit scary. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck yesterday.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

They know nothing really at all about banking, which is lucky because it is actually Bank of Scotland with a new label pasted on.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

at least that old lady is almost certainly going to be on some news papers Sunday morning. there were a couple of pro newspaper stills guys there and you could here their shutters whiring as they turned that woman away after so many hours standing in the street.

HOLA4425
Very good pictures. Thanks for posting. Everytime I see that little old woman with the walking stick it makes me feel very angry.

There's nothing you can do about it - lots of little old ladies have walking sticks.