Dr Doom

HOLA441
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I rushed into my local Waitrose in Richmond the other day, just getting there before closing time. The deli counter was a shopper's paradise as they sold off the stock that they'd otherwise have to dump. Hot rotisserie chickens were reduced to £1.00 each, a massive pork pie was down to just 25p, and big cream cakes were being flogged off for 10p.

I of course bought the lot and have now got the shits.

HOLA444

The Beeb

Wheat prices have hit record highs on global commodity markets, bringing the threat of rising bread prices.

Bad weather in key grain growing areas such as Canada and parts of Europe has limited supplies as demand has risen, sparking fears of a supply shortfall.

Surging prices are also expected to have widespread fallout for consumers.

While it will mean higher bread prices, it could also trigger an increase in meat and dairy prices as farmers battle to pass on rising feed costs.

Global wheat stockpiles will slip to their lowest levels in 26 years as a result, official US figures predicted earlier this month.

The dire forecast came as Canadian officials said the country expected its harvest to be slashed by a fifth as a result of drought. ...etc.

The BBC is using words like "dire". :o

HOLA445
Just went into sainsburies today and they've jacked the price of basics chopped tomatoes from 15p -> 21p overnight.

40% Increase!

It's always the poorest who get hit hardest and first.

HOLA446
HOLA447
It's always the poorest who get hit hardest and first.

No one said anything about the price of frozen chips and pies!

...but seriously, picking one random product is meaningless. I noted Tescos had knocked down the price on a number of things this week. Without an overall comparison this thread is wasting our time.

Edited by Orbital

HOLA448
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I rushed into my local Waitrose in Richmond the other day, just getting there before closing time. The deli counter was a shopper's paradise as they sold off the stock that they'd otherwise have to dump. Hot rotisserie chickens were reduced to £1.00 each, a massive pork pie was down to just 25p, and big cream cakes were being flogged off for 10p.

According to my Water Rates, shitting is 4% more expensive than last year.

I have, of course, written to my MP.

HOLA449

...yeh ...but...Gordo is probably using that Richmond store's closing prices in his CPI basket....no wonder we're in 'La La land' :o:o:o

HOLA4410

I work for a very big European meat company and I can tell you the cost of feed at farm level is going to make all meat much more expensive over the short term .

Also , we have the Farmer Gaurdian in the office and the headline is " Milk price at ten year high and rising ". This will have an effect on all dairy products

HOLA4411
I work for a very big European meat company and I can tell you the cost of feed at farm level is going to make all meat much more expensive over the short term .

Also , we have the Farmer Gaurdian in the office and the headline is " Milk price at ten year high and rising ". This will have an effect on all dairy products

I've been long on cheese futures for a couple of weeks.

30% Gorgonzola, 70% Roquefort.

HOLA4412

...can't be right.....!....Gordo does not do 'boom and bust'.....!......only the Tories do that... he claimed.......... :P:lol::lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
The cost of flour in the supermarket is already going up - this time last year, a bag of Value SR flour was 19p, a fortnight ago, it had gone up to 35p, this week it's 43p. Bread however, has gone back down from 54p, to 48p

Do you think the supermarkets actually monitor how well stuff is selling, and price accordingly?

If they do maybe we can look forward to supressed prices as we enter the recession.

HOLA4416

Yes i've been reporting food prices has been going up but i still think bulk food is cheap just now and will continue my advise that you all stock up a bit just in case we get a economic meltdown or do you all think you can judge just how far the housing collapse is going to go before it stops because you would be a brave man/woman to do so.

if the derivatives market get hit then it's all over and with it running at $415tr it comes out at a mere $58,000.00 for every man, woman and child on the earth and if like me you don't think that number is sustainable then take note of this post and start by buying a little extra rice, pasta, tin tuna and hiding it away and if nothing goes wrong then you can always eat it or give itr to the local OAP's.

HOLA4417
Yes i've been reporting food prices has been going up but i still think bulk food is cheap just now and will continue my advise that you all stock up a bit just in case we get a economic meltdown or do you all think you can judge just how far the housing collapse is going to go before it stops because you would be a brave man/woman to do so.

if the derivatives market get hit then it's all over and with it running at $415tr it comes out at a mere $58,000.00 for every man, woman and child on the earth and if like me you don't think that number is sustainable then take note of this post and start by buying a little extra rice, pasta, tin tuna and hiding it away and if nothing goes wrong then you can always eat it or give itr to the local OAP's.

Best not give it to the OAPs. You can release a lot of equity from OAPs, and some of them will make a nutritious snack.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Just went into sainsburies today and they've jacked the price of basics chopped tomatoes from 15p -> 21p overnight.

40% Increase!

The BoE has to raise interest rates to do something about this, it's getting out of control now.

Wrong conclusion dude! Think about it: you now have less money to spend on all the stuff that they will be leaving in the CPI. Price appreciation is disinflationary!

A financial genius said so here.

:lol:

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
The cost of road-kill pheasant hasnt gone up yet, they are still free! :lol: i'll only pick them up if their still warm though, as if they are cold you dont know how long its been there.

... did you know that a well-designed compost system will heat up to 40-50°C in two to three days - pretty warm. On a hot day it'll hit 65 .... that's bacterial decomposition for you : bon appetite!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
The cost of flour in the supermarket is already going up - this time last year, a bag of Value SR flour was 19p, a fortnight ago, it had gone up to 35p, this week it's 43p. Bread however, has gone back down from 54p, to 48p

The bread is probably a loss leader. It's one of the few things poeple might actually know the price off themselves, I doubt many people would know the price of a bag of flour so they can charge more. Making the bread cheap would make people think that everything else was cheap too

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Do you think the supermarkets actually monitor how well stuff is selling, and price accordingly?

If they do maybe we can look forward to supressed prices as we enter the recession.

You bet. A lot of people would be surprised about how much supermarkets use data.

Having a reward card is akin to having a national ID card. They know when you shop,

where you shop, how often, what you buy and in what combinations, how much you

spend, how likely you are to be a sucker for promos, etc etc, and price/store manage as

applicable.

Well ok, not on an individual basis, but at a less granular level they could easily be pricing/

promoting in whatever way they see fit to maximise profits. If people come in to buy a

tray of beans for 15p each but nothing else, the price of beans goes up. If they also buy

other stuff while they're in, the price might go down. They don't even need a store card

to that stuff, all the data is collected at the checkout.

Edited by scarlett