House Price Crash Forum

Mirror: Stock Crashes, Subprime Meltdown, Credit Crunch

HOLA441

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/20...89520-19649306/

What the shares meltdown means for you...
SHARES MELTDOWN
17/08/2007
HOUSE PRICES
Unlikely to fall like the stock market thanks to a strong economy and low unemployment. Good news for homeowners, but not those trying to get on the ladder.
Halifax chief economist Martin Ellis said: "If you look back to the stock market crash of 1987, the housing market remained strong."
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
AdvertisementBradford and Bingley said: "This is a short-term issue. It would need to be much longer term to have an effect on the housing market."

Is this a classic example of irresponsible journalism? If we look back to 1987 what did we see 18 monts later? Great Crash I.

I know the Mirror is part of the knicker press brigade but this one takes the cake!

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442
Guest Shedfish
Sub-prime lenders - those lending to people with the worst credit ratings - are now much more cautious. Two have stopped lending altogether...

ah, so on the UK ML-Implodometer (beta)..

?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Halifax chief economist Martin Ellis said: "If you look back to the stock market crash of 1987, the housing market remained strong."

:angry:

Possibly selective journalism, did they cut the sentence?

add " until the reality of the situation dawned on everyone and prices crashed"

HOLA445

What an utter crock. If you look back at 87, the housing market was very strong indeed, it crashed 18 months later, but in that time, my flat went up from around 45k to 54k at the peak. I don't see anyone's flats going up another 20%, in the next 18 months. And more to the point, my flat was valued at 33K in 1994, so buying in 87 wasn't such a great thing.

What we are seeing now is a weak housing market at the end of its run, coinciding with the stock market "correction". Is there a real rule about property lagging the stock market? I know liquidity is one reason, plus the fact that people invest in shares, whereas you live in your house (BTL bubble excepted obviously).

Any other reasons?

HOLA446
What we are seeing now is a weak housing market at the end of its run, coinciding with the stock market "correction". Is there a real rule about property lagging the stock market? I know liquidity is one reason, plus the fact that people invest in shares, whereas you live in your house (BTL bubble excepted obviously).

Any other reasons?

To be fair, the housing market boom really got going as the stock market crashed in the .gone bubble. I heard people saying all the cash moved into housing and other assets. Don't really believe it myself. I think the correlation is more likely to be with interest rates.

HOLA447
HOLA448
To be fair, the housing market boom really got going as the stock market crashed in the .gone bubble. I heard people saying all the cash moved into housing and other assets. Don't really believe it myself. I think the correlation is more likely to be with interest rates.

That's a good point, funnily enough we moved in 2000 and used the "forthcoming" property crash to get a better price on our house. :) Conned a little old lady out of 35k. Moowahahahahaha.

(TBF it was overpriced and hadn't a prospect of selling when we came along, since like all old people's houses it had a lovely garden, but hadn't been decorated since 1970, and this was before Property Location millionaire in the sun got really popular IIRC.)

HOLA449
Guest barebear
the housing market is built on cheap and easy credit (6x I/O et all) - take that facility away and it will fall

(will want to see evidence of this tightening though before the fat lady sings)

My point exactly on another thread,seems like the central banks are pumping billions in to try to keep this afloat.I dont think it'll work as more and more people default on thier mortgages and become desperate to sell.

HOLA4410

This sums up todays "dead cat bounce"

Stocks have rebounded but traders are "pretty much sitting on their hands," says Manoj Ladwa, a derivatives broker at TradIndex. "There is not much buying going in the market. No one is convinced this is the bottom. This is pretty much a dead cat bounce."

Regards

Reuters Newsmail Editor

You read it here first folks

HOLA4411

kind of true, stock market crashes have a habit of kicking off massive HPI, which then causes prices to crash a few years after.

87 - house prices boomed, then crashed (the has hpc)

the tech bubble - house prices boomed, then almost crashed (stagnated from mid 2004-mid 2006)

when people loose trust the the stock market they look for other places to put money

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4412
This sums up todays "dead cat bounce"

Stocks have rebounded but traders are "pretty much sitting on their hands," says Manoj Ladwa, a derivatives broker at TradIndex. "There is not much buying going in the market. No one is convinced this is the bottom. This is pretty much a dead cat bounce."

Regards

Reuters Newsmail Editor

You read it here first folks

its a pretty weak rally so far, I must say, particularly in the light of the Dow's strong rebound last night. The market really is on the ropes now, it seems.

HOLA4413
kind of true, stock market crashes have a habit of kicking off massive HPI, which then causes prices to crash a few years after.

the tech bubble - house prices boomed, then almost crashed (stagnated from mid 2004-mid 2006)

when people loose trust the the stock market they look for other places to put money

The house I bought in the East midlands in April 1988 for 30K was worth 47K by the July 1989 peak.So indeed the stock market crash had a spectacular effect on the Midlands which did a Northern Island at that time.I sold it for 46K in 1991 and it would have continued to fall to about the 40K range in the trough of 1993-1996.

HOLA4414

What we are seeing today is a massive shift in the credit markets due to crumbling trust in the housing market. Great Crash II is a HPC led rout. The money will not go into that which is the cause of the credit market collapse.

HOLA4415
What we are seeing today is a massive shift in the credit markets due to crumbling trust in the housing market. Great Crash II is a HPC led rout. The money will not go into that which is the cause of the credit market collapse.

I honestly dont think it could even if it wanted to, credit tightening is going to happen and its going to happen alot faster than it did in the states. As it becomes more and more mainstream that housprices are stagnating or dropping then the banks are going to want to cover themsleves FAST.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Don't forget that the end of double miras (ie: double tax relief on mortgage payments for married couples) was part of the reason for the run up of prices in 88/89, it wasn't just (or much) reallocation of SM capital. Also remember that the amount that people typically had invested in the SM in the 80's was still quite low and mostly consisted of a few privatisation issues.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The problem with trying to predict the housing market is previous trends cant be relied upon to predict future values. There are too many factors that affect the price of houses. Relying on previous trends is all too easy but also a bit short sighted.

Economics is more of a theory than a science. I dont think any of us can truly say whether house prices will fall or rise over the next few years. All we can do is have an educated guess.

I am still on the fence. One day i feel there is going to be a crash then the next day i look at other evidence that proves there will be a continued rise.

Its a tough one and a gamble whichever way you decide.

HOLA4421

Just seen old bushy black eyebrow chancellor boy on the tv harping on about, its all ok, don't panic, the UK economy is sound, how daft is he gonna look soon!

I think the Govt has just gone in defend at all costs mode over the castle turrets with the enemy army scaling the walls.

HOLA4422
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/20...89520-19649306/
What the shares meltdown means for you...
SHARES MELTDOWN
17/08/2007
HOUSE PRICES
Unlikely to fall like the stock market thanks to a strong economy and low unemployment. Good news for homeowners, but not those trying to get on the ladder.
I know the Mirror is part of the knicker press brigade but this one takes the cake!
When we look in the mirror we see the reverse of eveything, remember POLICE becomes ECILOP.
If you reverse the meaning of that sentance you have the following.
HOUSE PRICES
LIKELY to fall like the stock market thanks to a WEAK economy and HIGH unemployment. BAD news for homeowners, but not those trying to get on the ladder.
Makes more sense like that
;)

HOLA4423
HOUSE PRICES

what a load of shit.

those trying to get on the ladder ARE the housing market.

are they just going to swap 'upper ladder' homes amongst themselves ?

HOLA4424
Just seen old bushy black eyebrow chancellor boy on the tv harping on about, its all ok, don't panic, the UK economy is sound, how daft is he gonna look soon!

I think the Govt has just gone in defend at all costs mode over the castle turrets with the enemy army scaling the walls.

To be fair, it's his job to try and stem the panic. What would people think of him if he said it's going to rain human blood, we're all doomed?

He knows deep inside we are up to our necks in it, but to say so means we drown straight away.

After it happens, he will blame the Tories for being all negative about the situation.

Double Miras definitely let it run a little longer, although I heard people in the early 90s blame it for the crash. I don't think it matters which pin does it, but there will always be one.

I think Re-mortgaging in November is going to be interesting also, not only because of the rate rises the BoE have added, but because the deals will be relatively worse than recently as many have already said here. You probably won't see low margin trackers, or fixed rate deals close to base, so the problem is going to be exacerbated for the poor sausages.

HOLA4425
As I have stated many times b4, in economics and finance, it is possible to take a scenario and argue for diametrically opposed outcomes. What determines which outcome prevails is sentiment.

The Roman senators always argued that destiny is more often that not determined by the mob.

When greed turns to fear. We are, IMO, in the risk aversion stage. The mob are worried and its slowly turning into fear.