House Price Crash Forum

Brighton Area

HOLA441

LOL! Sorry, but all this makes Brighton seem so, well, smalltown-ish somehow.

Are you an estate agent? Or maybe work for Latest magazine? Or a property bull / landlord / developer?

Anyway, don't derail from the subject at hand - Brighton does not have enough school places!

I'm not sure many estate agents or developers would have the nous to visit this site.

nope - i work in a local media company. i don't disagree with the lack of school places thing - just not sure how sniping at the Cooks is related to the problem. My experience is that Brighton IS a small town full of 2nd rate wannabees. However people like Norman Cook who are, like it or not, very successful give the place kudos that it probably doesn't otherwise deserve. And when you are a company pitching against London agencies for work - that recognition that we aren't all dossers, yoghurt weavers, door knockers and fences of stolen goods is IMO a good thing. :)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I'm not sure many estate agents or developers would have the nous to visit this site.

nope - i work in a local media company. i don't disagree with the lack of school places thing - just not sure how sniping at the Cooks is related to the problem. My experience is that Brighton IS a small town full of 2nd rate wannabees. However people like Norman Cook who are, like it or not, very successful give the place kudos that it probably doesn't otherwise deserve. And when you are a company pitching against London agencies for work - that recognition that we aren't all dossers, yoghurt weavers, door knockers and fences of stolen goods is IMO a good thing. :)

The relation to the problem is another poster saying that Zoe Ball was endorsing Brighton as a great place to raise kids. My argument is people like Zoe obviously have no concept of the problem of the lack of school places and no idea that people are now saying Brighton isn't a 'family friendly city' at all.

But I understand where you are coming from - 'yoghurt weavers' :lol: now that would be cool.

However I do find it, by turn, irritating and amusing to see a slightly has been-ish TV presenter and slightly rickety DJ constantly being held up in our local papers as Brighton's equivalent to cool showbiz royalty who somehow make Brighton a cool place to be. Brighton is also the home of Patsy Palmer, Chris Eubank and Peter Andre. Do they make Brighton cool? No way!

When it comes to arts / media businesses, surely anyone who needs to know that Brighton is full of talent doesn't need Zoe Ball and Norman Cook waved in their faces? I mean, Natasha Khan of Bat for Lashes, Steve Coogan, the Kooks, maybe. Yet they are not constantly grinning out of the local papers lording it around town and giving endorsements to local eateries. It's just overkill as far as I'm concerned and I never need to see another picture of Zo and Norm again in my whole life. I'm sorry but I just don't!

Finally, Brighton has a multitude of arts and media people who surely wouldn't want any more of their ilk coming down and making it even harder to get work / school places / an uninterrupted length at the local swimming pool . . . I could go on :)

Edited by shell

HOLA443

I really cant help myself, really I can not I know i should not but I will anyway.

What is it with all this hate against people that want to better themself...remember the london guy that moved down from london a couple of years ago...ohh how much you wished he would go bust. I wonder why so much hate towards selfimprovment (yes grammer spelling not my strong point lol) - there is another reason why you hate successfull people soo much an exboyfriend / girlfirend perhaps or are just disappointed in life that you have to go to the public gym (ohh and lets not forget how much you hate the pensioners)

Anyway, about Norman aka fatboy slim imagine how much tax he pays just for a moment before the envy kicks in. Maybe millions in one year when he was at the height so he gets a big thank you from me for that and you should thank him aswell - I'm sure you have enjoyed the services that the higher tax band pays. He could have just left nothing easier for a musican but instead he stayed in brighton and expanded his business and supported other businesses in this town. PROVIDING EMPLOYEMENT AND GENERATING REVENUE = TAX! My guess is you dont pay that much tax - i just have this inkling - you are more of a person thats start a facebook campaign / community garden or some other rubbish rather then work harder/better earn more cash for you and the family!

Anyway I cant speak for zoe never meet her but he is a nice guy..you I'm not to sure about you to be honest! So Steve Coogan is allowed to stay, he gets your approval? Great, is that how its going to be - I wonder how pays more tax the guy from la or the local boy that has done good!

Dont get me wrong I'm not a massive fan but give the guy credit where its due he clearly loves this town and I think the town likes him. Just remember some people need to do GREAT THINGS - they might not be GREAT ACHIEVMENTS IN YOUR EYES BUT ACHIEVMENTS = TAX!

In regards to the EURO since my last post I would advise nobody to invest in euros unless they have some sort of business interest in the euro zone or have a life / second life in the EU - also somebody mentioned see a financial advisor NEVER GO TO ONE THATS FREE! HE WILL ONLY SELL WHERE HE GETS THE BEST COMMISSION!BETTER PAY A FEW HUNDRED POUNDS FOR SOME INDEPENT ADVICE BUT IN GENERAL I WOULD RECOMMEND THE NOVICE TO STAY AWAY FROM FINANCIAL PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO DO SOME WORK YOURSELF!

Anyway, in regards to schools no idea to be honest some people moan others are more then happy. I made a choice not to send my kids to school in this country - you can make up your own idea what I think about the education system in this great country (I saw too many 12 year old smoking weed - thats just not healthy - mental patients in the making if you ask me)

Property no idea whats happening but I was hoping for the fall to kick in but nothing - nobody is in a rush to sell - the smart money is staying of course whats the point in selling unless you are developer (really not many about - student houses thats a different story lol lol - ). If you are a landlord no point selling what for if you bought early enough far better take out another mortgage and before you cry overreached not at all but why sell an assetts thats paying the bills and leaves a bit left over at the end of the month. If you bought in the last few years then i would be worried because you will have neg and massive mortgage cost.

Anyway, you should stop having a go at other ppl and ask yourself what have YOU contributed and my bet is in terms of tax not very much so move along dont criticise the tax payers lol.

Ohh and if YOUR achievements starting local pressure groups / facebook campaigns / community gardens etc etc then thats not really going to pay the bills of this country and get us out of this mess, is it?

People that work hard and try to achieve great things = pay tax - so you have the freedom to moan all day long B) and do NOTHING TO REDUCE THE DEFICIT

Edited by whatcrash?

HOLA444

I really cant help myself, really I can not I know i should not but I will anyway.

What is it with all this hate against people that want to better themself...remember the london guy that moved down from london a couple of years ago...ohh how much you wished he would go bust. I wonder why so much hate towards selfimprovment (yes grammer spelling not my strong point lol) - there is another reason why you hate successfull people soo much an exboyfriend / girlfirend perhaps or are just disappointed in life that you have to go to the public gym (ohh and lets not forget how much you hate the pensioners)

Anyway, about Norman aka fatboy slim imagine how much tax he pays just for a moment before the envy kicks in. Maybe millions in one year when he was at the height so he gets a big thank you from me for that and you should thank him aswell - I'm sure you have enjoyed the services that the higher tax band pays. He could have just left nothing easier for a musican but instead he stayed in brighton and expanded his business and supported other businesses in this town. PROVIDING EMPLOYEMENT AND GENERATING REVENUE = TAX! My guess is you dont pay that much tax - i just have this inkling - you are more of a person thats start a facebook campaign / community garden or some other rubbish rather then work harder/better earn more cash for you and the family!

Anyway I cant speak for zoe never meet her but he is a nice guy..you I'm not to sure about you to be honest! So Steve Coogan is allowed to stay, he gets your approval? Great, is that how its going to be - I wonder how pays more tax the guy from la or the local boy that has done good!

Dont get me wrong I'm not a massive fan but give the guy credit where its due he clearly loves this town and I think the town likes him. Just remember some people need to do GREAT THINGS - they might not be GREAT ACHIEVMENTS IN YOUR EYES BUT ACHIEVMENTS = TAX!

In regards to the EURO since my last post I would advise nobody to invest in euros unless they have some sort of business interest in the euro zone or have a life / second life in the EU - also somebody mentioned see a financial advisor NEVER GO TO ONE THATS FREE! HE WILL ONLY SELL WHERE HE GETS THE BEST COMMISSION!BETTER PAY A FEW HUNDRED POUNDS FOR SOME INDEPENT ADVICE BUT IN GENERAL I WOULD RECOMMEND THE NOVICE TO STAY AWAY FROM FINANCIAL PRODUCTS YOU NEED TO DO SOME WORK YOURSELF!

Anyway, in regards to schools no idea to be honest some people moan others are more then happy. I made a choice not to send my kids to school in this country - you can make up your own idea what I think about the education system in this great country (I saw too many 12 year old smoking weed - thats just not healthy - mental patients in the making if you ask me)

Property no idea whats happening but I was hoping for the fall to kick in but nothing - nobody is in a rush to sell - the smart money is staying of course whats the point in selling unless you are developer (really not many about - student houses thats a different story lol lol - ). If you are a landlord no point selling what for if you bought early enough far better take out another mortgage and before you cry overreached not at all but why sell an assetts thats paying the bills and leaves a bit left over at the end of the month. If you bought in the last few years then i would be worried because you will have neg and massive mortgage cost.

Anyway, you should stop having a go at other ppl and ask yourself what have YOU contributed and my bet is in terms of tax not very much so move along dont criticise the tax payers lol.

Ohh and if YOUR achievements starting local pressure groups / facebook campaigns / community gardens etc etc then thats not really going to pay the bills of this country and get us out of this mess, is it?

People that work hard and try to achieve great things = pay tax - so you have the freedom to moan all day long B) and do NOTHING TO REDUCE THE DEFICIT

Ooh! Get you! My stalker returns!

:P

edited to say: I'm flattered you read my posts but I can't be bothered to read yours. Hope you don't mind.

Edited by shell

HOLA445
HOLA446

I used to respect your opinion, but i am left disillusioned with you now. You obviously dont know nothing about coool...:)

I hear you :) Peter and Katie Price aren't constantly being touted as king and queen of Brighton - but they're a plausible as anybody else and in fact would make a welcome respite from Zoe and Norman being rammed down our necks all the time. Quite frankly the local rags could just whack a couple of seagulls on their front covers and tell us they're the reason why Brighton is cool for all I care. The fact a 'celebrity' lives somewhere makes it LESS appealing to me than more appealing.

HOLA447

When it comes to arts / media businesses, surely anyone who needs to know that Brighton is full of talent doesn't need Zoe Ball and Norman Cook waved in their faces? I mean, Natasha Khan of Bat for Lashes, Steve Coogan, the Kooks, maybe.

Interesting that you were laying into the Cooks 'debauched' lifestyle and are happily bigging up Steve Coogan...... if you want a night to remember then I guarantee you Norman and Zoe will seem like Cbeebies compared to Steve Coogan.

Bat for Lashes... really? When them or the Kooks headline a major festival anywhere in the world you can compare them to Fatboy Slim. I'm not knocking your creds on knowing mildly trendy Brighton acts but they aren't really punching at the same weight on the international stage as Norman Cook.

HOLA448

Interesting that you were laying into the Cooks 'debauched' lifestyle and are happily bigging up Steve Coogan...... if you want a night to remember then I guarantee you Norman and Zoe will seem like Cbeebies compared to Steve Coogan.

Bat for Lashes... really? When them or the Kooks headline a major festival anywhere in the world you can compare them to Fatboy Slim. I'm not knocking your creds on knowing mildly trendy Brighton acts but they aren't really punching at the same weight on the international stage as Norman Cook.

Pff. 'Laying into the Cooks 'debauched lifestyle'? I've minus zero interest in them or their lifestyle and had you read my post properly you'd see that. I simply have no interest in seeing them featured as ambassadors of Brighton quite as often as they are. It's been overkill.

The reason I mentioned Ball / Cook's record of affairs and alcoholism is to point out the irony of Ball bigging up Brighton as 'a great place to bring up kids'. It seemed ironic somehow, and coupled with the fact Brighton is no longer a great place to bring up kids thanks to its lack of school places, daft.

Re Brighton's 'cool' image, I just thought that if one were promoting Brighton as a creative hub that is 'on trend' and a hotbed of vital new artists, I would have thought that citing NEWER acts would serve one better than citing those who, no matter how successful, have already had their day?

Anyway, good job derailing the really important subject at hand - that Brighton does not have enough school places. Where are the usual voices of dissent?

HOLA449

I couldn't care less about what these famous people say about Brighton,

I judge the place for what I see and what I see ain't that good.

Cars dominate the scene everywhere - I am in favour of the paying parking scheme as I use public transport, and... it might even lead to lower house prices in Hanover!

Most street corners are busy with cars & pick-ups these days!

And then the school problem too...

And of course the usual elephant in the room, house prices are still way too high...

I've noticed that although prices generally drop for houses that are not selling,

then the next ones coming up on the market have higher asking prices!!! :ph34r:

No logic wahtsoever...

If it keeps going like this God knows when we'll be able to afford a shoe box...

Hoping for CGT and IR's to rise.

fiingers crossed

Edited by Capt. Picard

HOLA4410

see, from my perspective, adding parking restrictions to hannover won't cause house prices there to drop - if anything the opposite. When I bought my place 3 years ago, I looked fairly seriously at a place in hannover that needed some work. A combination of factors (it was right near the council area, plus it was tiny, and had no garden) suggested the place I bought was the better place, however, one of the real deciding factors was parking. I really didn't want to spend 10 minutes driving round every time I wanted to park my car, then another 5 mins to walk back to my house. Given the choice, I would have happily paid £120/year to park near my front door. When you think of a mortgage costing ~£15,000 a year, the extra .8% increase in cost really isn't that big a deal.

This doesn't work so convincingly further up the hill, towards the hospital, where parking is generally available anyway, but in hannover I think it'd make the area more attractive. Obviously the AST market for car owners is going to be suppressed - but there are plenty of non-car-owning students to take their place.

Looked yesterday like some trucks had turned up to kick the hippies out of the lewes road 'community garden' - be interesting to see how they get on, and whether we get a tesco there in the end. New row of houses round the back of us have changed price from '£325k' to 'from £299k' - can't be bothered to figure out if the prices have actually changed.

was sent this the other day...

Clare-in-the-community-003.jpg

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Rents to come down soon. I quote from a thread on main board on imminent capping of LHA: "Currently LHA is set at the 50% percentile so if average rents in your area are £60, LHA will be £60.

LHA will be set at the 30% percentile meaning that LHA will only cover the cheapest 30% of the housing stock for rent. Its impossible to say the exact figure this will mean for LHA, but for example if average rents are £60 then LHA may be £50 or even £45.

There is also a feedback effect since this will lower rents, which mean average rents will then drop, which will in turn mean LHA goes down, which will then force rents down even further."

:)

And for the community minded, keen swimmers, lovers of architecture and haters of developers - join the save Saltdean Lido campaign. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=363258422617

"The campaign group is currently working on:

- collating the questionnaires from the public meetings

- completing the complicated application to English Heritage to get the building upgraded from Grade II to Grade II*. This would give it more protection as the EH have to be consulted before any renovations or developments.

- talking to other lidos that are running as successful businesses, to get ideas and look at the options of how it could be run as a community project.

Please remember everyone. If you want to do something to help, please contact the taskforce at the above email address. There are lots of avenues already being explored so we don't want to duplicate tasks, but there is plenty more to be done. If you can help, please email.

Thanks

The plans for the Lido site were revealed this evening at the Community Center. 100 flats. Filled-in swimming pool. Large development. Too much for this 1930's architectural treasure.

The community would benefit from a renovated swimming pool with new facilities, a cafe, modernised library and community halls.

The lido was built 1937-38 to designs by the architect Richard Jones, and was hailed as the most innovative design of its type in Britain. With its tea terrace, sun deck, caf, perched on the flat roof and distinctive curved wings at either end, it became the only lido to be featured in the Design Museum in London. Only a few lidos across Britain remain in use. Jill Sack, of the 20th Century Society, said it was a disgrace that Saltdean had been left to rot. "We have followed the fortunes of Saltdean closely because it is a classic example of Art Deco architecture and a building of great historical value," she said. "We have lost so many lidos and this is one of the very best. It is vital it is restored."

HOLA4414

Rents to come down soon. I quote from a thread on main board on imminent capping of LHA: "Currently LHA is set at the 50% percentile so if average rents in your area are £60, LHA will be £60.

LHA will be set at the 30% percentile meaning that LHA will only cover the cheapest 30% of the housing stock for rent. Its impossible to say the exact figure this will mean for LHA, but for example if average rents are £60 then LHA may be £50 or even £45.

There is also a feedback effect since this will lower rents, which mean average rents will then drop, which will in turn mean LHA goes down, which will then force rents down even further."

:)

(...)

Unfortunately they will use the "30 percentile" rule for 2 years only, and from then onwards adjust LHA limits by CPI inflation.

Let's just hope the local councils will do it properly, pushing LHA down as low as possible in these 2 years, and not just phone a few letting agents and ask them for a number... :unsure:

HOLA4415

Unfortunately they will use the "30 percentile" rule for 2 years only, and from then onwards adjust LHA limits by CPI inflation.

Let's just hope the local councils will do it properly, pushing LHA down as low as possible in these 2 years, and not just phone a few letting agents and ask them for a number... :unsure:

Oh well. House prices down this month so :)

BTW, I can't keep up with all the housing chicanery. Can someone tell me if banks are still allowing MEWing these days? Most of my Brighton home 'owner' friends have MEWed up a loft conversion or new kitchen, but I'm not hearing of anyone at it anymore. Have the banks stopped MEWing or is it still rampant? Thanks in advance.

HOLA4416

Hope so.

And look who's got a big mortgage to service . . . ! http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-30058079.html

£2000 per month for 2 bed flat and one smallish.

Surely no one in Brighton's stupid enough to actually pay that?

Yeah, let's hope that hundreds of people in Brighton, many no doubt on modest salaries and with families to support, lose theirs jobs.

Are you serious?!

HOLA4417

Yeah, let's hope that hundreds of people in Brighton, many no doubt on modest salaries and with families to support, lose theirs jobs.

Are you serious?!

Here's hoping! Didn't you know that HPC is a secret front for evil BTLers that just want to swoop in and grab all the loot once everyone's lost their jobs, homes and 60" plasmas.

HOLA4418

Are you serious?!

What about the thousands of people living in tiny rented flats in Brighton on high private sector salaries and so bankrolling the country with families to support who cannot afford to pay £350,000 for a tiny terrace house with a small patio so their kids can play out?

I'd suggest people in the Public Sector with high mortgages put their houses on the market yesterday before the bank repo's it leaving them homeless and in debt for the rest of their lives, unless they declare bankruptcy.

People seem to be missing the point that there are NO winners in HPI, except a tiny percent of speculators (who have got out by now) and greedy johnny come latelys in their slipstream (waking up pretty soon). Either prices drop by 50% or we have a lost generation the talented of whom will emigrate relegating Britain to a 2nd world nation of the retired, unskilled and unemployed.

HOLA4419

What about the thousands of people living in tiny rented flats in Brighton on high private sector salaries and so bankrolling the country with families to support who cannot afford to pay £350,000 for a tiny terrace house with a small patio so their kids can play out?

I'd suggest people in the Public Sector with high mortgages put their houses on the market yesterday before the bank repo's it leaving them homeless and in debt for the rest of their lives, unless they declare bankruptcy.

People seem to be missing the point that there are NO winners in HPI, except a tiny percent of speculators (who have got out by now) and greedy johnny come latelys in their slipstream (waking up pretty soon). Either prices drop by 50% or we have a lost generation the talented of whom will emigrate relegating Britain to a 2nd world nation of the retired, unskilled and unemployed.

Did you mean low private salaries?

I sympathise for everyone who's been priced out of the market. The real villains are the speculators, banks and successive govts, not ordinary public secret workers who now seem to have joined immigrants as the supposed causes of all the country's ills.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Unbelievable...

over the last month or so the number of houses for my Rightmove search has gone down from 20 to 11.... :(

looks like 5 or 6 houses "may" have been sold between saturday and today...

Sure, they might come back on the market as some do, but the fact that despite the silly prices there seems to be an endless number of ready buyers is so depressing...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Oh well. House prices down this month so :)

BTW, I can't keep up with all the housing chicanery. Can someone tell me if banks are still allowing MEWing these days? Most of my Brighton home 'owner' friends have MEWed up a loft conversion or new kitchen, but I'm not hearing of anyone at it anymore. Have the banks stopped MEWing or is it still rampant? Thanks in advance.

Yep. My brother mewed £12k to take his missus on a 6 month round the world holiday at the start of the year.

HOLA4424

Getting fed up with the silly prices here.

Might check out Worthing this weekend. Ms Picard thinks it's a better (and cheaper) place to bring up your family...

I don't know it - what's your views about the place?

I rather like worthing.. A little bit 'chavey' but in a good way . I mean its not half full of pretentious *****ers and its not swamped by Londoners.

What i like most about it is the town center seems to have people of all ages whereas brighton can seem overrun by 20-40 year olds (and toddlers)

I imagine in might feel a bit too small town after a while but i like it.

Does anyone know anything of Haywards Heath or the villages near there ??

HOLA4425

I rather like worthing.. A little bit 'chavey' but in a good way . I mean its not half full of pretentious *****ers and its not swamped by Londoners.

What i like most about it is the town center seems to have people of all ages whereas brighton can seem overrun by 20-40 year olds (and toddlers)

I imagine in might feel a bit too small town after a while but i like it.

Does anyone know anything of Haywards Heath or the villages near there ??

I used to think of Haywards Heath (and Burgess Hill) as a bit boring and lacking in nightlife, but I believe Haywards Heath has improved recently with a few new restaurants and pubs opening up in the centre. I think it's a pretty good place to bring up a family, and I guess the mainline station with fast trains to London is useful and will help it hold it's value better than other places. Villages like Lindfield tend to be pricey (village pond and all that).