House Price Crash Forum

Gay Thread: Request To Moderators

bdon

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest absolutezero

How is gay investing any different to any other form of investing?

In other words, what differences do women and children make?

HOLA444
Guest Bart of Darkness
How is gay investing any different to any other form of investing?

In other words, what differences do women and children make?

I'm guessing that the OP meant that (1) there's more money available to invest due to things like a lack of chldren (endless expense), crippling alimony payments to unfaithful ex-wives etc. (what a cheery soul I am) and (2) no nagging shrew of a wife to tell you that you jolly well can't invest 10k with BullionVault, she wants needs a new SUV and a holiday abroad.

I'm not gay, but I am single.

Are you surprised? :)

HOLA445

hi - can we start a new thread about gay investing / HPC / etc. the dynamics are different without children and women

cheers

[/quote

As the OP's "gay investing...dynamics" exclude women. Would we need a separate lesbian thread?

I guess the bisexual investing dynamics could get a bit complicated. Another thread needed?

Why not threads based on race, culture, class, age, sex, sexuality, disability, marital statues (single, engaged, married, divorced or widowed)

Or a thread for the infertility investing dynamic. No children there.

Actually how does the "male" pink pound fare in the housing market and how would a HPC differ for this group as opposed to those of a different sex or sexual persuasion?

HOLA446

As the OP's "gay investing...dynamics" exclude women. Would we need a separate lesbian thread?

I guess the bisexual investing dynamics could get a bit complicated. Another thread needed?

Why not threads based on race, culture, class, age, sex, sexuality, disability, marital statues (single, engaged, married, divorced or widowed)

Or a thread for the infertility investing dynamic. No children there.

Actually how does the "male" pink pound fare in the housing market and how would a HPC differ for this group as opposed to those of a different sex or sexual persuasion?

OK, point taken - we don't want to start threads about left handed investors or ginger gold bugs ;)

My only line of thinking was that without children to look after / sponge off in old age there is a slightly different view of the long-term / end game - eg no need to worry about leaving a legacy

HOLA447
My only line of thinking was that without children to look after / sponge off in old age there is a slightly different view of the long-term / end game - eg no need to worry about leaving a legacy

If the 'without children' thing was really your 'only line of thinking', then surely your goal would be to consider all couples (or maybe even individuals) without children, rather than some arbitrary subset of them?

For the sake of another example, it would be like being interested in the investing habits of men, but starting a 'Fathers' Thread'... The obvious question then being, what about the men who aren't fathers? :)

Edited by Ologhai Jones

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

investment would be the same, pensions still applicable, and the same choice when you reach 55-60... do you want to spend every penny or do you want to pass something onto relatives. As for investment, save and invest as much as you can, sexual orientation doesnt make a different

HOLA4411
hi - can we start a new thread about gay investing / HPC / etc. the dynamics are different without children and women

cheers

I don't think you are interested in investing nor gaining financial advice.I figure you are posting here in order to find a mate, or at least to get a sexual lead.How sad are you? and what a sad case you make for your fellow homosexuals.On the one hand you want to be treated equally and on the other you wish to openly throw your sexuality onto normal people trying to fathom the madness of ever increasing house prices.This is not a pick up joint, you parody of maleness!..........

HOLA4412

Sexual orientation has no relevance to investment at all.

I have been happily married got the kids and then she left me, I would never have tried the other way otherwise, but I did and its so much better. I have changed orientatations (or just found out what I was missing) cos I could never go with a woman again. Sexuality (at least mine) is not as simple as black and white.

I can tell you investment has absolutely nothing to do with sex or sexual oreintation and sex has no place here on this site.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
I think the fellow did say 'point taken' at some stage. Perhaps we should leave the poor chap alone now! ;)

I agree, I was taking tje pervervative and as you say the OP took it well.

Maybe there are grounds for his suggested thread. I hope that future posts help to address this issue and wish him well.

HOLA4415

Is he the only gay on the board? ;-)

I think the dynamics of investing are markedly different for gay people that don't intend to have children. But in most discussions it's fairly incidental, eg "I'm gay, so I don't need to worry about having extra bedrooms or the partner not working for a few years..."

HOLA4416

I think the dynamics of investing are markedly different for gay people that don't intend to have children. But in most discussions it's fairly incidental, eg "I'm gay, so I don't need to worry about having extra bedrooms or the partner not working for a few years..."

Not forgetting the fact that most women would rather spend than invest...

Women have more debt problems then men.

More women than men have debt problems: 54 per cent of callers to National Debtline are female. A survey by uSwitch, an online financial adviser, identified 750,000 British women as "shopaholics" who need a weekly fix, irrespective of their finances. The typical female shopaholic has £11,000 of unsecured debt, more than double the average.

HOLA4417
Not forgetting the fact that most women would rather spend than invest...

Women have more debt problems then men.

More women than men have debt problems: 54 per cent of callers to National Debtline are female. A survey by uSwitch, an online financial adviser, identified 750,000 British women as "shopaholics" who need a weekly fix, irrespective of their finances. The typical female shopaholic has £11,000 of unsecured debt, more than double the average.

<lecture>

So, 46% of callers are male. Doesn't sound like an overwhelmingly conclusive statistic to me[1], especially as the same result could be 'explained' just as easily, for example, by the assertion that women are more likely to 'call for help' than men[2]... Not to mention there are more women in the population than men anyway (it's not as high as 54% female, but it's not 50/50 either).

750,000 people from a population of around 30 million doesn't sound like a particularly high proportion either, and, apart from everyone's anecdotals about their missus, I wonder how many men are shopaholics? Perhaps there's 750,000 of them, too? Again, anecdotally, maybe men are less likely to buy a pair of shoes every other weekend, but perhaps they're more likely to buy a laptop (or some other new expensive toy) every few months... Meaning that the net spend (or net debt) could be the same.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that any of the assertions in the linked article are necessarily wrong, only that we should perhaps be careful about accepting the interpretations of others.

</lecture> ;)

[1] Particularly if it's based on only a few hundred callers, for instance.

[2] I'm not saying this is true: it's just an example alternative (or contributing) explanation.

HOLA4418
Guest absolutezero

No. There's me as well.

I was just wondering why the original poster was saying gay investment was different.

No kids is a major factor. Never underestimate the value of the 'pink pound'. (Awful phrase).

However, most of the gay men I have come across have been terrible with money and heavily in debt.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Homo's do not need a house in the same way that a hetero would, they would be happy with flats, hence the explosion of new builds for all the pinks, they don't need safe areas for the kids etc and don't need to be in a catchment area.

HOLA4421
Guest absolutezero
Homo's do not need a house in the same way that a hetero would, they would be happy with flats, hence the explosion of new builds for all the pinks, they don't need safe areas for the kids etc and don't need to be in a catchment area.

Stuff flats!

I wouldn't be happy with a flat.

I want some room. I.e. a decent sized house in a nice area (not full of scabs and lowlifes).

However, you're right about the catchment areas but if the Government get their way they'll abolish catchment areas and you'll have schools by lottery instead.

Imagine that, chavs infesting the good comprehensives in decent parts of town.

HOLA4422

I'm gay, and I think there are some majorly different issues to consider.

Firstly (and I hate to generalise, but I do think this is the case) but many gay men will be looking for their place alone. In other words, joint incomes are less likely. In other words, it could be much harder to get onto the property ladder.

Secondly, location. There are areas in the north east where my partner and I could afford to buy. But they are poor, working class areas and personally we would not feel safe as a gay couple living there. Gay men don't just live in "pink areas" for pubs and clubs, but because it is also generally safer.

Thirdly, civil partnerships. David Cameron talks of tax breaks for married couples - presumably that won't extend to civil partnerships?

There are other issues which work in our favour - less necessity to climb the property ladder due to no growing family, but actually I think it's harder to be a gay single buyer because of finding a location where one feels safe.

HOLA4423
<lecture>

So, 46% of callers are male. Doesn't sound like an overwhelmingly conclusive statistic to me

</lecture> ;)

But I wonder how many of those 46% got into debt because of their wives?

I assume there are more shopaholic women than there are gambling men.

And probably there are very few shopaholic men or gambling women.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425