House Price Crash Forum

Property Snake Website

bill65

HOLA441

Ta for the prompt replies folks.

I literally used to be a bearded sandal-and-pullover-wearing programmer, but left the game before all the current tools were invented so I'm behind the times but curious. I even used stacks of cards at the beginning of my career, and if you think that's quaint, I once had a colleague who claimed to be one of the few surviving programmers to have worked with a soldering iron. OK I'll slip off back into retirement and avoid embarrassing you all

Cheers

Spin

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest grumpy-old-man
I meant us, not you. :P

actually I wasn't sure after I replied tbh, excuse me. :unsure::rolleyes:

yes, everything is bypassable, depends on your skills & how long your ponytail is. ;)

if you pc is completely locked down & they are running poxy server (correct spelling ;) ), you need to torrent "ERD Commander 2005" or unix varient, & then come into work early one day & crack the local admin password on you pc. Takes 5 mins, all gui driver clicky options. Then download & install Firefox browser & rename the icon to something like "outstanding work issues". The proxy server or firewall websense type stuff will be all geared up for Internet Explorer & doesn't detect Firefox

If they are running anything like this your IP address & login username is logged & reports can be run. :ph34r:

No point clearing your local cache because if they are monitoring you it's already on the server.

any help ?

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA444
HOLA445
Ta for the prompt replies folks.

I literally used to be a bearded sandal-and-pullover-wearing programmer, but left the game before all the current tools were invented so I'm behind the times but curious. I even used stacks of cards at the beginning of my career, and if you think that's quaint, I once had a colleague who claimed to be one of the few surviving programmers to have worked with a soldering iron. OK I'll slip off back into retirement and avoid embarrassing you all

Cheers

Spin

i worked with a guy who, and i swear this is true, worked on Ground-To-Ground Missiles in the 50's in the Libyan desert.

you programmed the missiles by the careful placement of magnets in drawers [!]

64 narrow drawers

each holding 64 rows or 64 magnets

depending on where the magnets were placed determiend where the missile went.

"did you hit anything?" i queried

"F*ck all", he replied, "thats why we were in the middle of the Libyan desert, they went everywhere...."

when i worked with him, maybe a decade ago, he must have been knocking retirement age, and he was good. really good. fast, accurate, error free code.

which probably came from learning to program with live missiles...

Edited by mallory

HOLA446
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-14117723.rsp

Each recoprd is individually identififed by the number on the end. Simply rigfht a script that goes through all the numbers and collects the details and puts it in your won database. Then repeat and have the script update the database. Rightmove could stop this by simply giving the property a new number each time it is changed, but this is unlikely as the whole point of it is that peopel on outside pages can have links to a particular property.

Seems to me that Rightmove benefits from a site like this, it advertises their product.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Maybe propertysnake has only been going since 20th march and that was their first scan of Rightmove.

Edited to add:

Oh yeah, just checked again, i think you are right HPC convert.

Edited by Bearback

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Maybe propertysnake has only been going since 20th march and that was their first scan of Rightmove.

Edited to add:

Oh yeah, just checked again, i think you are right HPC convert.

I cant begin to imagine what the conversation was like in that house the evening they agreed to drop the price!!

HOLA4415
Guest Winnie

Propertysnake - brilliant name, brilliant idea, will definitely be one of the agents in a crash - people flock to the net for everything on housing now. BUT as an arch bear.... was a tad worried when I visited today that a lot of double counting is going on. OK - allowable when something is starting up, but... when multiple drops really kick in they must be seen as whiter than white or people will not credit their data............

HOLA4416
Propertysnake - brilliant name, brilliant idea, will definitely be one of the agents in a crash - people flock to the net for everything on housing now. BUT as an arch bear.... was a tad worried when I visited today that a lot of double counting is going on. OK - allowable when something is starting up, but... when multiple drops really kick in they must be seen as whiter than white or people will not credit their data............

It looks like the double counting comes from using multiple websites. Kind of hard to avoid then?

HOLA4417
Why would anyone shave 28% off after being on the market for 3 weeks?

complete day dreamer in the first place, looks like a few had been flipped on that road:

2002-01-24 7 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £41,500

2001-01-19 4 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £34,000

2004-05-14 4 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £82,500

2003-05-23 34 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £75,950

2005-10-18 32 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £75,250

2006-03-03 32 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £119,750

2001-07-27 30 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £55,750

2004-02-12 30 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £95,000

2005-07-19 30 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £129,000

2003-04-17 28 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £48,000

2003-05-01 26 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £74,950

2006-03-02 24 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £141,500

2001-12-14 17 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £26,250

2001-07-30 15 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £32,000

2003-04-11 14 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £61,000

2004-12-10 14 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £88,500

2006-05-12 14 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £93,000

2002-08-16 12 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £41,250

2006-01-30 11 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £86,000

2002-11-21 11 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £52,950

2006-08-18 10 Penmore Street, Hasland, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 0PB £90,000

ourproperty.co.uk

It's number 26 so it looks like they'll still may make a profit depending on how much they spent renevating it and final sale price.

house number

Edited by se7ensport

HOLA4418
complete day dreamer in the first place, looks like a few had been flipped on that road:

It's number 26 so it looks like they'll still may make a profit depending on how much they spent renevating it and final sale price.

house number

I still dont get why they caved in so early and by so much? Unless they were just insane 3 weeks ago and are now on the tablets.....

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/

when this site first came to light it had detected 161,111 properties with reduced prices on rightmove - with rightmove reporting a total of 695,000 properties for sale (top right of home page http://www.rightmove.co.uk/ ).

the purpose of this thread is to get it pinned to monitor the headline figure on snake vs the listings on rightmove to provide a % figure that will act as a leading indicator of state of the market.

please feel free to add your figures as and when you see fit.

formula (snake reductions/ rightmove listings) *100 = % of properties on market that have been reduced

datum figure is (161,111/695,000) *100 = 23.2% - 29 May 07

Cautionary note - these figures may be irratic to start with as the snake database settles down!!!

PS. I have emailed snake to produce some constantly updated graphs of reductions vs total listings for thier front page but i think they are a little busy at the momment

HOLA4422

I'm loving this site - I just innocently sent the link round my office and got some appreciative replies. This was soon after having to endure the usual bullish yadda yadda of a couple of people chinwagging nearby. :ph34r::lol:

HOLA4423

thanks for the propertysnake link - brilliant site. I have entered my postcode and it's really satisfying to see real reductions now. We've clearly moved from an era of increases to reductions and this has really helped me keep the faith.

Regards

HOLA4424

Time for a robin hood moment,

If you like www.propertysnake.co.uk (I do) then take a few seconds to click on the ads - especially the ones advertising new build property, or property loans ...

That way the developers and estate agents pay for the click, and property snake will collect a few pence. Go on, show your appreciation.

BTW I'm not assoicated with the site, as that would be naughty to encourage taking money off advertisers.

Come to think of it, there's a very pretty banner add at the top of this page as I write, encouraging me to get a free guide to land banking! I thought that was deemed a con trick! Right, I'm going to cost them some advertising spend!

Edited by Bubble Pricker

HOLA4425
Time for a robin hood moment,

If you like www.propertysnake.co.uk (I do) then take a few seconds to click on the ads - especially the ones advertising new build property, or property loans ...

That way the developers and estate agents pay for the click, and property snake will collect a few pence. Go on, show your appreciation.

BTW I'm not assoicated with the site, as that would be naughty to encourage taking money off advertisers.

Come to think of it, there's a very pretty banner add at the top of this page as I write, encouraging me to get a free guide to land banking! I thought that was deemed a con trick! Right, I'm going to cost them some advertising spend!

Clicking willy-nilly on those adverts is a bloody good way to get propertysnake automatically banned from Adsense for clickfraud.

Only click if you see something that genuinely interests you.