House Price Crash Forum

Www.ourproperty.co.uk

eek

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Taken from OurProperty.co.uk:

What can I do for free on your site?

Once signed up you can currently search up to twenty property prices per week by address or postcode absolutely free.

18th January 2005

OurProperty.co.uk Exclusive!

House Price data back to the year 2000 is now available on OurProperty.co.uk. You can now search 5,000,000 sales for free. We are the first site on the web to offer this.

HOLA444
HOLA445

A post made by one of the owners of ourproperty.co.uk on motley fool's board:

Thanks for the post guys we are working very hard to improve the site and add new features so keep your eyes peeled. We have big plans for the site and hope to offer more free searches to people who help us promote it and no plans to charge as yet.

So looks like this site might stay free!

HOLA446

Wow!

I just looked up the house I am currently renting (zone 6 West London, 2 bed terrace but completely refurbished to a high standard, 5 mins to tube, garden etc) on OurProperty.co.uk

It was purchased by my landlord for £208k in Feb 2004. We moved in Oct 04, the landlord spent 9 months doing it up as it was a wreck (he told me this).

208k plus around 20k doing it up plus 9 months of mortgage repayments plus those 9 months no rent coming in and we managed to negotiate rent down from 950 to 850 PCM.

How can he afford to pay his mortgage (25yr, say 188k borrowed due to deposit), even if it is interest only this must be over £900PCM. This doesn't even include the 20 odd grand he spent doing the place up with "mood" spotlighting, new kitchen with integrated appliances, new porch, new paved entrace, new carpets throughout etc.

Madness.

HOLA447
HOLA448
:blink:  :o  :blink:  :o  :blink:  :o  :blink:

8 Nov 2002 5 Barley Street, Keighley,

West Yorkshire BD22 7DB Terraced £32,950

12 Mar 2004 5 Barley Street, Keighley,

West Yorkshire BD22 7DB Terraced £102,500

That is sobering - 200% in 2 years! - so going down 50% now would still make it %60% up - funny how people can deal with prices going up like a lift but cannot contemplate them coming down.

The bulls on here are always going on about how the fundamentals mean that prices won't crash. What were the fundamentals that caused this increase? Was this the only house for sale for 50 miles? Did wages treble? Or is it the ultimate example of an asset bubble and nothing to do with fundamentals - just like a crash?

HOLA449

I've just done a couple of searches on that site - row of terraced cottages near me that change hands regularly.

One of them sold in 2001 for £127k and the same property for £185k in 2003. By March 2004 couple of others in the terrace changed hands for £173k. We have been in a negative market in the South for at least a year.

And the 4 bed stuff has been struggling for a lot longer. Just checked out the sale of a house owned by a builder who built an extension for me. Our houses were identical to start with and he did a big extension on his and really went to town. Put it on market for £465k and it took forever to sell. On market best part of two years I would think. Just seen he actually got £388k for it in 2003. Looking at the market now reckon it would struggle to make £350k. We are well into it down here.

Another big one near where I used to live went on at £645k. Again forever to sell, went for £575k

HOLA4410

Shou;d send that search result to the BOE so that Merv can show it to the other dunderheads in th MPC who don't believe you can detect a bubble until after the event.

All the warning signs have been there for ages, but they just kept on pouring petrol on the fire.

HOLA4411

I think GOCs example of the house in Kieghley is a pretty good example of when HPI began to really take of in these areas-mid to late 2000.Although things seemed to have stagnated here,cheaper property is still selling. Remember talking to an local EA in August and at that point she said that properties at the top end of the market were not selling .However it was still a good time to sell cheap to middle priced property.

HOLA4412
:blink:  :o  :blink:  :o  :blink:  :o  :blink:

8 Nov 2002 5 Barley Street, Keighley,

West Yorkshire BD22 7DB Terraced £32,950

12 Mar 2004 5 Barley Street, Keighley,

West Yorkshire BD22 7DB Terraced £102,500

pathetic absolutely pathetic, I actually saw some article in the paper and most property had shot up over 150% some were 250%, these were in "soap streets" or areas of that nature. Im more determined to leave than ever tbh. You can have your England.

HOLA4413

I looked at that property website to have a nosey on my friends.

One of my friends bought a semi-detached house in Withington, Manchester in February 2004 for £108,000.

Here's how the previous semi's in his street fared for the last four years:

29 Sep 2003: £94,500

27 Jun 2002: £19,000

5 Apr 2002: £51,000

26 Oct 2001: £58,000

9 Jul 2001: 58,500

31 Oct 2000: £8,707

28 Jun 2000: £36,000

So I ask you, how far do you think the value of his property will fall over the next 3 years?

Some details of his property:

- It's an 1930's end-terrace of 4 properties

- Inside corner of a road (the garden is a triangle 20ftx20ft

- Fairly poor interior decorations at point of purchase (he's got his DIY book out to do some improvements)

- Surveyor report points to roof tiles needing replacment (it leaks in heavy rain - and he can't find a builder)

- Has a garage, but the size of his corner driveway will barely take his peugeot 406.

- 1/2 mile away from Moss Side.

- I get the impression that he and his girlfriend don't like it and want to move elsewhere in 2 years time

- He paid a 40k deposit.

HOLA4414

Odd, quite a few roads in Swansea - in fact FAR TOO MANY - it does not seem to recognise. I've signed up, typed in numerous roads, avenues, etc, in Swansea and so far only one road has been recognised. Think they need to sort that one out.

However, the one road I can get it to show shows houses doubling in price from 2002 to 2004. One house was sold for 150K in Jul 2001 and in Jan 2004 was resold for 300K.

Nope, have to say, IMPO, that they need to sort that search function out as I simply can't find loads of roads in Swansea. Also, one house is listed as going for 14K 3 months after one not far from it went for 83K so I assume there is some kind of error there.

HOLA4415
That is sobering - 200% in 2 years! - so going down 50% now would still make it %60% up - funny how people can deal with prices going up like a lift but cannot contemplate them coming down.

The bulls on here are always going on about how the fundamentals mean that prices won't crash. What were the fundamentals that caused this increase? Was this the only house for sale for 50 miles? Did wages treble? Or is it the ultimate example of an asset bubble and nothing to do with fundamentals - just like a crash?

It could have been a complete wreck that has been converted into several flats that an investor bout before subdivision? Either way it is a massive rise but some of at least could be justifiable unless someone knows more about it.

HOLA4416

When nethouseprices launched I did a look across Swansea and, to be frank, 200% increases were the norm.

Most properties had more than doubled in price in the past 2 years with, complete maddness, many properties actually going up by a factor of 3 and even 4 times the price just a few years ago.

So I don't think that people have had to do anything major to properties in this, the world's largest, housing bubble to get 100% to 400% increases in the past 2 - 3 years.

HOLA4417
Just looked up our house bought in Feb 2002 so should show up, but it doesn't.

Anyone know a legitimate reason why it would not show up in the registry, or did our nice but dim conveyancer screw up and not register it, sounds the most likely.

The other site nethouseprice.com doesn't go back that far.

Theres a property I've been doing a search for thats not listed either, one that I wanted to buy, wanted to depress myself by seeing what a snip it went for :blink:

Again anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't be listed?

HOLA4418

Anyone who thinks they have found an inaccuracy in the data at ourproperty.co.uk should contact me with the specifics of their search, and then I will check them in our database to see if the problem is our end or with the land registry.

Please e-mail paul at ourproperty dot co uk.

Thanks,

Paul

OurProperty.co.uk

HOLA4419