House Price Crash Forum

The Fight Against Inflation Has Been Won!

HOLA441

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle1781347.ece

From The Sunday Times

May 13, 2007
Inflation to fall below 3%
David Smith
INFLATION is set to drop back below 3% this week, easing pressure on the Bank of England. But analysts warn that it is too early to sound the all-clear on interest rates, and businesses still fear further rises...../
Analysts expect this week’s figure to show a fall to 2.8%, on the way to a sharper drop to the 2% target level later in the year.
“Headline” retail price inflation is expected to fall from 4.8% to 4.5%.

Let's see, it must be the cheaper petrol? No, not that.

How about the lower council tax bills? No, it can't be that.

Falling oil prices--no they are headed back up.

I know, its the falling food prices..................no? How about, ummmmmmmmmmmm

Train tickets--that' it, the cost of travel went down.

Not that either? Go on Merv tells us what is getting Cheaper?

MP3 players!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, who could have thought up that one.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Going to raise some real credibility issues.

We know why the figures MAY fall back below 3% - bigger numbers falling out from last year's numbers. The general public will look at their bills and will be left wondering quite what is going on knowing damn well that inflation hasn't fallen since the last month, in fact quite the reverse.

Sooner or later trust in the CPI as a measure is going to fall apart.

Roll on more double digit broad money supply and $80 oil.

HOLA444
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle1781347.ece

From The Sunday Times

May 13, 2007
Inflation to fall below 3%
David Smith
INFLATION is set to drop back below 3% this week, easing pressure on the Bank of England. But analysts warn that it is too early to sound the all-clear on interest rates, and businesses still fear further rises...../
Analysts expect this week’s figure to show a fall to 2.8%, on the way to a sharper drop to the 2% target level later in the year.
“Headline” retail price inflation is expected to fall from 4.8% to 4.5%.

Let's see, it must be the cheaper petrol? No, not that.

How about the lower council tax bills? No, it can't be that.

Falling oil prices--no they are headed back up.

I know, its the falling food prices..................no? How about, ummmmmmmmmmmm

Train tickets--that' it, the cost of travel went down.

Not that either? Go on Merv tells us what is getting Cheaper?

MP3 players!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, who could have thought up that one.

Nothing needs to fall in price at all - prices just need to rise more slowly than 12 months previously for inflation to fall

HOLA445
HOLA446
Nothing needs to fall in price at all - prices just need to rise more slowly than 12 months previously for inflation to fall

but 12 months ago firms were still absorbing higher costs. its only recently they've decided to push up their prices. do you think they'll suddenly stop ?

the only reason inflation will fall is down to fiddling of the cpi basket

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Stealth inflation. Brown strikes again. :lol:

BBC

But the bank said it was particularly concerned that the ONS was using only a limited sample of shops and stores to measure price increases each month, and called for the reintroduction of a full rotation of locations for sampling..

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
BBC

But the bank said it was particularly concerned that the ONS was using only a limited sample of shops and stores to measure price increases each month, and called for the reintroduction of a full rotation of locations for sampling..

There won't be any need for rotation once the small shops have been wiped out by rising costs. They are the ones that relly need to raise prices to survive, their pricing is the type that will not magically appear in the CPI index.

HOLA4413
BBC

I've sussed it, in the true style of lazy BBC journalism, and Government spin, the ONS 'samplers' must use the subsidised canteen for their inflation figures.... ;)

A latte in Starbucks last week £3.00

A latte in ONS canteen this week 35p

Inflation beaten. :ph34r:

HOLA4414

About time the ONS opended their books and their statistical methods, sampling, raw data, the whole shooting match to full scrutiny.

People are now in a position where they are having to assess the real rate of inflation themselves, they can no longer realy on ONS figures, nor any remit that the BOE may or may not wish to follow based on them.

What have the BOE seen that nobody else has?

HOLA4415
About time the ONS opended their books and their statistical methods, sampling, raw data, the whole shooting match to full scrutiny.

People are now in a position where they are having to assess the real rate of inflation themselves, they can no longer realy on ONS figures, nor any remit that the BOE may or may not wish to follow based on them.

What have the BOE seen that nobody else has?

GordEnron's 'clunking fist'

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Can someone explain how the inflation figure calculation has changed under Brown's tenure. What would be the figure using the old method ?

4.8%, as measured by the RPI index.

Although CPI and RPI have different values, due to them measuring different baskets of goods and sefrvices, the relationship between them hasn't varied a tremendous deal.

In other words, if CPI hadn't been introduced and the MPC had been asked to target RPI at say 3.5%, IR decisions probably would have been no different over the last 10 years.

HOLA4419
In other words, if CPI hadn't been introduced and the MPC had been asked to target RPI at say 3.5%, IR decisions probably would have been no different over the last 10 years.

except the old RPI target was 2.5%

HOLA4420

RB I'm not sure you understand what inflation is. It is the rate of increase of basket of goods.

Prices do not have to fall for the CPI to decrease they just have to rise less slowly. I think this kind of ruins your point.

Dropping prices (which generally I see everywhere when it comes to luxury items as you mentioned) across the board would spell deflation and recession. Not what we want to see I feel.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm quoting OnlyMe here...

"Sooner or later trust in the CPI as a measure is going to fall apart."

My trust in the CPI measure was nuked (never mid fell apart) ages ago as unfortunately, I don't live on a diet of LCD HD TVs, iPods, computers, and endless other tatt which is imported from the far east. I need food to live (iPods are pretty are bad for the digestive tract and are tasteless, even with tomato ketchup on...), a roof over my head, reasonable council tax costs, reasonable petrol costs and endless other things which are wiping me out, month on month.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425